Your top ten kits to buy for the novice modeller?

Started by McColm, November 02, 2009, 01:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

I think most HobbyBoss 1/72 aircraft would be a good choice if their Me-109 is any gauge. Not too many parts, goes together very easily, good fit, nice details and very easy on the wallet.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Stargazer

"Your top ten kits to buy for the novice modeller?"

To this question, my answer would be without a doubt: get any old Matchbox kit — if you can find one — there's nothing like 'em to get started in modeling!

Nick

Italeri F-16 C/D. Modern jet used by many nations and this kit goes together easy with good results.
HobbyBoss Eurofighter.

nev

Revell 1/72 Hunter.  A simple yet superb kit (and cheap, easily available, and gorgeous to boot).

QuoteHobbyBoss Eurofighter

er, no :banghead:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

anthonyp

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 03, 2009, 06:04:28 PM
"Your top ten kits to buy for the novice modeller?"

To this question, my answer would be without a doubt: get any old Matchbox kit — if you can find one — there's nothing like 'em to get started in modeling!

That's exactly how I was thinking.  Old MPC, Matchbox, Airfix, even some Revellogram stuff.  Nothing from Tamigawa, Dragon, Zvezda, etc.  Too many parts for the novice.

I still love my old MPC kits (the ones that came with the ground crews, all small kits in 1/72).  Bought a Skyhawk model last year just because I built a few of them when I was about six with the chickenpox.

Perfect starter kit.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Tojo633

All

Top 10 kits for a beginner, in no particular order. As I am not sure of your age
I am assuming a complete novice therefore am considering Cheap and Cheerful kits as well. I am also trying to recall from the dreggs of my memory what ones I build when I was a kid some  30 + yrs ago but some are newer kits it should be noted. By the time you get to no 10 you should be ready for it!

1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire mk1a
2 Airfix 1/72 Hurricane mk1
3 Airfix 1/72 DH Mosquito 2,6,16 Series 3
4 Airfix 1/76 White M3 Half Track
5 Airfix 1/72 AW SeaHawk
6 Revell 1/72 P-26 Peashooter
7 Airfix or Matchbox 1/72 Gloster Gladiator
8 PM/Pioneer 1/72 Yak 15
9 Airfix/PM 1/72 Hawker Sea Fury
10 Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster (the New one)

Some suggestions
Cheers
Sandy

Stargazer

Ha! You must be British,Tojo633, listing no less than SEVEN British aircraft out of ten models! Do you know there is A WORLD beyond the British Isles?

Inasmuch as I love and respect British aviation and its crucial contribution to aviation at large, this Anglocentric attitude is sadly too often reflected in magazines such as Aeroplane Monthly, which make you feel like everything was invented by the British, like the only air aces were British, and so forth...

B777LR

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 06, 2009, 11:15:45 AM
Ha! You must be British,Tojo633, listing no less than SEVEN British aircraft out of ten models! Do you know there is A WORLD beyond the British Isles?

Inasmuch as I love and respect British aviation and its crucial contribution to aviation at large, this Anglocentric attitude is sadly too often reflected in magazines such as Aeroplane Monthly, which make you feel like everything was invented by the British, like the only air aces were British, and so forth...

It was his list though. I'd disagree with that. It could be a lot more British.

Tojo633

The choice was specifically a reflection on the kits I built when I was a novice/kid and most of which are still around or available for the novice modeller. Also many of the kits available world wide these days were not available in the UK in those days, so the modelling choice was somewhat restricted ie Frog if you could find it and some Novo in the mid to late 70's, Revell, Airfix and Matchbox being the main choices for many years.

As for it being a totally British list, so what! the choice was my list of kits which were suitable and available for a novice if you had actually bothered to read my full response.  
It is in fact you that is taking a very biased view on my listing. After all who also flew the Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito, Beaufighter?? for a start the British Commonwealth which included India and the Far East (SEAC), Canada, Australia and  I am sure the 8th Airforce flew some of the afore mentioned aircraft I believe i am correct in saying. I specifically did not include the P-51 as an example because some of the kits I built in those days were not that great and then which one of todays crop would you choose as suitable for a novice?
You mentioned racers not I, I seem to recall seeing racers when i was at Oshkosh in 2005, P-51 and Hawker Sea Fury, let me see Packard Rolls Royce Engine in the P-51 and Who built the Sea Fury again? same company that designed the Harrier Jump jet.
Nor have I read or bought Aeroplane monthly in a while, maybe you should make a nice list of Britains contributions to Aviation and see how big it really is?
Thank you B787 at least you read my comments in full.

Stargazer

Quote from: Tojo633 on November 07, 2009, 11:38:05 AM
You mentioned racers not I

I never did!!!

Quote from: Tojo633 on November 07, 2009, 11:38:05 AMmaybe you should make a nice list of Britains contributions to Aviation and see how big it really is?

... which all goes to show you haven't read my post in full EITHER...

Inasmuch as I love and respect British aviation and its crucial contribution to aviation at large

Tojo633

B777LR

Quote from: Tojo633 on November 07, 2009, 12:29:15 PM

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 07, 2009, 12:20:16 PM

Let's stop arguing. You both have valid points. Airfix is easy, and readily available. It should also be a mix of aircraft from all over the world, not just from one country. Airfix being British (and having their main customer base there) has mainly British aircraft in it's range, but with a good deal of other types that are produced every now and then.

I would say it would have to include the opposite opponent if possible, so as to encourage play. I.e Spitfire/Hurricane - Bf-109, NATO fighter - Warzaw pact fighter, Sopwith Camel - Fokker Dr.1.

Has to be easy too, so we can leave out Tamiya, 1/35 vehicles, 1/350 ships, really bad fitting things, etc.

I would say price has a factor too. The 10 first models likely won't be too good, and you might as well save a little by going for the cheaper product.

PR19_Kit

So?  :unsure:

Others here have produced entirely American lists. And my list had eight Brits and two Americans I think. We'd naturally produces lists of stuff we know about and have modelled.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

anthonyp

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 07, 2009, 03:54:46 PM

So?  :unsure:

Others here have produced entirely American lists. And my list had eight Brits and two Americans I think. We'd naturally produces lists of stuff we know about and have modelled.

And are readily available at brick and mortar stores, I might add.  These are for the novice, and whatever's available is fodder for the beginner.  As noted by myself, B787, PR19 and others, these kits need to be as simple and available in one's own region.

I'm sure if a member were from Japan, they have cut their teeth on 1/100 Macross kits and other stuff.  Still simple kits.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Stargazer

Fair enough, it's a "what worked for you" kind of thread, not a "what's an ideal collection os simple aircraft models to get started with"...  :bow: