The worst or difficult kit to build

Started by McColm, November 04, 2009, 01:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

ACE T-72/90/TOS-1 etc line - sweet zombie jesus, these things are huge, the fit isn't Horrible, but assembly can be such a pain in the absolute arse.  Those are my annoyance ones.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

elmayerle

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 05, 2009, 04:30:41 PM
The most difficult kit I've come across is the AModel Yak-28 Firebar. Nice detail, but there's enormous quantities of flash, the sprue gates are huge, and there are no location pins etc. to help with alignment. I started cleaning it up, but it's gone back in the box until I feel brave enough to tackle it...
From your description, I almost wonder if that's from the same, or related, molds as the kit I mentioned above.  That both were 1/72 yak-28 kits with enormous amounts of flash is a bit suspicious.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Sisko

Quote from: Brian da Basher on November 05, 2009, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on November 05, 2009, 10:55:40 AM
For now, then and forever.......The fit the box Glencoe(and every other incarnation) Curtis Condor

The Glencoe Curtiss Condor will certainly challenge your sanity and the Glencoe Martin MB 1 will make you certifiable. See below.
:banghead:
Brian da Basher

Add to that the Glencoe Grumman Duck! A POS of a kit if there was ever one!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

sideshowbob9

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 05, 2009, 04:30:41 PM
The most difficult kit I've come across is the AModel Yak-28 Firebar. Nice detail, but there's enormous quantities of flash, the sprue gates are huge, and there are no location pins etc. to help with alignment. I started cleaning it up, but it's gone back in the box until I feel brave enough to tackle it...

I'm in 100% agreement! I managed to make a passable Yak-28 'Brewer' from one kit but the Yak-25 I have I just cut up for spare parts! It was so far beyond redemption, it's not funny!  :banghead:

chrisonord

I have the Yak 130, the armed advanced trainer thing, that weighs about 3 times as much as it should thanks to the amount of putty I pumped into it.
When taking the parts off the sprues I was tempted to go in the shed and get my bolt crops  :rolleyes:
The worst part of it though was getting the canopy to sit right without any massive gaps under the sides of it. I have oner of their SU-21's in the stash, and I think it will be staying there for a very very long time :huh:
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

upnorth

The Amodel Yak-28 series are an interesting lot of kits.

I was looking at a batch of them in an shop not long ago and it was explained to me, when I commented on the heavy flash on one of the kits, that Amodel improved their moldings while making the series and that the later ones were better molded. I was shown a couple of other kits in the series and they were quite cleanly molded and the plastic looked of respectable quality.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

thedarkmaster

I've made a few of this series and they are a little hit and miss but i must agree the later ones are much better, but still a challenge to make , they do build up nice though.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

GTX

Quote from: Hobbes on November 04, 2009, 10:30:28 AM
The Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander is pretty bad as well. They've replicated the real aircraft's tubular frame which is nice, but makes the wing-fuselage joint very weak (it barely holds its own weight).
It also needs tons of test fitting (and even then I didn't get everything to line up).

Seconded!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

puddingwrestler

The worst thing I've ever worked on would have to be an AModel YAK-28P which I kitbashed with an Italeri Starifghter to make a Gerry Anderson trimotor fighter. All I used were the wings and engines, and the tail fins. Just these involved more putty than the rest of the model put together, took longer than the rest of the model put together and had to be sanded and puttied so much they changed shape dramatically. It's also the only kit in the stash which I NEVER look at when planning kitbashes and looking for parts becase I know they are so bad.

The Revell 1957 Chevy I built when I was a teen was not a terrible kit, but it had a prfound impact. I'd just built a Revell 1970.5 Chevelle in the Mad Max style, and wanted to build another such thing. The Chevelle was a very nice kit. The 57 Chev was a re-issue of antiquity and not a great kit. At this time, I had no idea that things like re-issues existed and found the kit very frustrating. As a result, I went off car modeling for years and still try to choose kits which are more modern than, say, 1970 at the earliest, prefereably newer. (I was spoiled as a youth, my first few models where all Tamiya, and even their kits from the 70s where still very high quality and enjoyed great engineering twenty odd years later)

The other thing I avoid (although not a sign of a bad kit) is tank kits with individually molded track links. I know they look great, but I have not got the patience for them. They do nto make a kti bad to build, thye just make it boring.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Brian da Basher on November 05, 2009, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on November 05, 2009, 10:55:40 AM
For now, then and forever.......The fit the box Glencoe(and every other incarnation) Curtis Condor

The Glencoe Curtiss Condor will certainly challenge your sanity and the Glencoe Martin MB 1 will make you certifiable. See below.
:banghead:
Brian da Basher

I didnt even get that far.....both times I tried it!!
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

B777LR

Quote from: puddingwrestler on November 06, 2009, 01:16:24 PM
The other thing I avoid (although not a sign of a bad kit) is tank kits with individually molded track links. I know they look great, but I have not got the patience for them. They do not make a kit bad to build, thye just make it boring.

That depends on the track connectors. Sometimes they are useless and will make it a bad build.

Sauragnmon

I hear ya there, PW - I'm with you on the link/length tracks.  I've got six tank kits that I just dread continuing, because they're Link/Length.  I can understand that some modellers enjoy them, but it would be a real nice courtesy to have in the kit another option to Link/Length.  Revell? Are you Listening?  I actually Dread link/length tracks because of their design.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

jcf

Quote from: MiB on November 04, 2009, 03:32:31 AM
Mumble mumble....I remeber the first one, 30 years ago: combat glider Waco CG-4 Adrian (Monogram 1/48) :dalek:

That would be difficult to build as it doesn't exist.

Monogram has never made a 1/48th Hadrian and the only injected kit is Italeri's 1/72nd version.

jcf

As to the Glencoe kits, you guys do realize that they are reboxings of 50+ year old kits, don't you?
They need to approached with that reality in mind.

I built the Duck years ago (as the Murphy's War Duck) and didn't find it to be particularly difficult.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 07, 2009, 09:39:49 AM
Quote from: MiB on November 04, 2009, 03:32:31 AM
Mumble mumble....I remeber the first one, 30 years ago: combat glider Waco CG-4 Adrian (Monogram 1/48) :dalek:

That would be difficult to build as it doesn't exist.

Monogram has never made a 1/48th Hadrian and the only injected kit is Italeri's 1/72nd version.

Yup! my book says Italeri 1/72 reboxed by Revell & Testors, a company called Luftkraft made a 1/35 vacuform back in the 70', Sutcliffe made a 1/72 vacuform and a company called Quad Scale Products made a resin 1/115 one and the only listing for a 1/48 kit was by a company called Wilco! a vac/resin job which wasn't produced
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike