The worst or difficult kit to build

Started by McColm, November 04, 2009, 01:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 07, 2009, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 07, 2009, 09:39:49 AM
Quote from: MiB on November 04, 2009, 03:32:31 AM
Mumble mumble....I remeber the first one, 30 years ago: combat glider Waco CG-4 Adrian (Monogram 1/48) :dalek:

That would be difficult to build as it doesn't exist.

Monogram has never made a 1/48th Hadrian and the only injected kit is Italeri's 1/72nd version.

Yup! my book says Italeri 1/72 reboxed by Revell & Testors, a company called Luftkraft made a 1/35 vacuform back in the 70', Sutcliffe made a 1/72 vacuform and a company called Quad Scale Products made a resin 1/115 one and the only listing for a 1/48 kit was by a company called Wilco! a vac/resin job which wasn't produced

The 1/72 Italeri/Revell/Testors kit is rather nice though, apart from the very brittle nose hinge.

Tojo633

I would say any kit of the Westland Lysander poses problems due to its layout and not a reflection on the actual kits themselves. Biplanes also have their pitfalls, which vary depending on the particular model, Matchbox ones I usually found to be better engineered particularly with the fuselage to upper wing struts.
Surely it can also depend on what you intend to do with a particular kit,  or the modellers skills or abilities. In some instances in years gone bye you were pretty much stuck with examples of lesser types, eg Early Frog jets, Attacker, DH 110, DH Venom etc etc and had to rely on scratchbuilding or aftermarket details to enhance the kit.
Trying to think of a specific kit that I would list as a real problem but cannot, problems are after all there to be overcome.
Cheers
Sandy

B777LR

Quote from: Tojo633 on November 07, 2009, 01:13:32 PM
I would say any kit of the Westland Lysander poses problems due to its layout and not a reflection on the actual kits themselves. Biplanes also have their pitfalls, which vary depending on the particular model, Matchbox ones I usually found to be better engineered particularly with the fuselage to upper wing struts.
Surely it can also depend on what you intend to do with a particular kit,  or the modellers skills or abilities. In some instances in years gone bye you were pretty much stuck with examples of lesser types, eg Early Frog jets, Attacker, DH 110, DH Venom etc etc and had to rely on scratchbuilding or aftermarket details to enhance the kit.
Trying to think of a specific kit that I would list as a real problem but cannot, problems are after all there to be overcome.
Cheers
Sandy

I found the Airfix one easy, despite the wings mounted on a brittle canopy. Only shortfall was that the rear canopy didn't fit when in the open position.

Barry Krell

Quote from: B787 on November 04, 2009, 05:44:07 AM
The Starfix Bf-109. That one is next up on my workbench! :wub: Real world

Hahahahahaha!  Best laugh I've had for a while.  You're in for a treat....
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

MacArther

The only model in my sci-fi/Anime collection (which makes up about 80% of the total model collection) that I had issues with was the Master Grade RX-78-4 Gundam.  Now, its not something too horrible like misshapen parts, missing things, or what not.  However, trying to join the shoulders to the body with a pair of screws that look like they came from someone's glasses is a bit frustrating.  Especially when said items have to go through model plastic AND somehow reach the resin joint beyond it while not striping the screw......Oh, and I don't have the screwdriver they (the model company) seems to have had, and have to use my glasses repair kit one (see:next to impossible).  Minor gripe?  Maybe...but I can normally hammer these M.G. kits out pretty easily, so this is irritating me that I STILL haven't gotten the shoulders on after 3 MONTHS!!
"No one fights alone!"
"Ahhh!  Its a Gundam!"--The last thing you want to hear when you're in the crummy mass produced model....

pyro-manic

Ahh, those MG screws are always a pain. Have you tried building the Ex-S? That monster's got about thirty of the damn things!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

matrixone

For me the 1/72 scale DML Ta 152C was the most difficult kit to build.
All DML/Dragon kits have a few rough spots to get through when building them but the Ta 152C was a kit that fought me all the way from start to finish and I came close a few times to bashing it against the wall out of frustration but I really wanted a Ta 152C in my collection so I finished it, the model turned out okay and is now my favorite model not because its my best work but because of the battle I had in building it and eventually winning.
I know there are other models that are worse to build than the 1/72 scale Ta 152C kit, but this kit looked so good in the box you would not expect it to be so much trouble to put together. Some of the early Special Hobby/MPM kits were difficult to assemble but they were limited run kits and one could expect to run into problems with them but the DML Ta 152C was a modern IM kit with nicely molded kit parts and it had more fit problems than some of the limited run kits that I had built.

Matrixone

lancer

Quote from: Sauragnmon on November 05, 2009, 07:23:36 PM
ACE T-72/90/TOS-1 etc line - sweet zombie jesus, these things are huge, the fit isn't Horrible, but assembly can be such a pain in the absolute arse.  Those are my annoyance ones.

I tried building the ACE T-62. All the running gear was seperate items and all oversized and badly fitting. So much si that nothing matches up or goes together properly. It's a shame really as it's the only T-62 available in 1:72 as far as I know.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

MacArther

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 12, 2009, 12:46:45 PM
Ahh, those MG screws are always a pain. Have you tried building the Ex-S? That monster's got about thirty of the damn things!

::Note to self:: Ex-S MG model to be avoided if nearby people and property doesn't need destruction....
"No one fights alone!"
"Ahhh!  Its a Gundam!"--The last thing you want to hear when you're in the crummy mass produced model....

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: McColm on November 04, 2009, 01:04:16 AM

The Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR3 is to be avoided, due to badly fitting parts. There are better kits available.

still gives me nightmares this kit does from building in the 1980's.

i recall a promo, you know save up the tokens from crisp packets, with this as one of the kits on offer.....

NEVER EVER AGAIN!
Keeper of George the Cat.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: lancer on November 15, 2009, 10:50:20 AM
I tried building the ACE T-62. All the running gear was seperate items and all oversized and badly fitting. So much si that nothing matches up or goes together properly. It's a shame really as it's the only T-62 available in 1:72 as far as I know.
Italeri produces ex-Esci T-62. It is not Revell but is fine IMO:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-60062375-tanque-italeri-parmar-main-battle-tank-t-62-172-kit-7006-_JM
Will die without understanding this world.

pyro-manic

Quote from: MacArther on November 15, 2009, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on November 12, 2009, 12:46:45 PM

::Note to self:: Ex-S MG model to be avoided if nearby people and property doesn't need destruction....

Ah, but it looks great when it's finished. It's huge! ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

MacArther

Quotepyro-manic said: Ah, but it looks great when it's finished. It's huge!

It may look great, but if I destroy the the surrounding neighborhood's during my frustration then the cost to repair the area doesn't equal the benefits of the model....unless....I PAINT THE MODEL CUSTOM!!! GENIUS!!!
"No one fights alone!"