New Project: F-16 with parts from the ususal F-104 (ever 1/48)

Started by G.Marcat, November 05, 2009, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

Done a lot of work yesterday and today.

After the last layer of primer, today painted the kit with the primary colors:

From tomorrow, when the paint will be dry, the rest of the work: I love to cut the Tamiya tape in small strips.

srkirad

hmm... so, if I understand correctly, although there are small "gaps" od lighter colour beetween camouflage patches, you will overtape them with Tamiya strips? I suppose you will cut Tamiya tape in sharp edge strips? And what colour should go over it?

it looks interesting... waiting for the final result! :thumbsup:
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

G.Marcat

Quote from: srkirad on December 01, 2009, 12:07:47 AM
hmm... so, if I understand correctly, although there are small "gaps" od lighter colour beetween camouflage patches, you will overtape them with Tamiya strips? I suppose you will cut Tamiya tape in sharp edge strips? And what colour should go over it?

it looks interesting... waiting for the final result! :thumbsup:

I would to replicate the scheme "Jaws" or to go near at it.
Look at the box art from Italeri's JAWS A-10:

The spots of paint in the my F-16/104 are imprecise because I need only the center of the spot painted well.

I will cover the center of any color spot with tape Tamiya, possibly with an irregolar shape.

For  the color around the spots I'm considering a very light sand or a light gray.

srkirad

yup, that's what I thought...

these rounded on A-10 are more apropriate to A-10 shape.. but your model is quite aggressive looking one, so I think that sharp-edged patches would look better... what do you think?
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
www.maketarskikutak.com

G.Marcat

Quote from: srkirad on December 01, 2009, 03:24:49 AM
yup, that's what I thought...

these rounded on A-10 are more apropriate to A-10 shape.. but your model is quite aggressive looking one, so I think that sharp-edged patches would look better... what do you think?

The "Jaws" camo was appealing to me because I did never a similar scheme until now. In addition, I felt myself ready to do the spots freehand with a airbrush.

But looking the camo done on the my still incomplete F/A-818 Aggressor, the temptation of to do a mix between the "Jaws" and "saw teeth" started immediately.

I have even thought of to test a highly demential scheme: the patches could have been done with CIRCULAR spots...

but it's not really a serious scheme.

Stargazer

Quote from: G.Marcat on December 01, 2009, 08:15:54 AM
but it's not really a serious scheme.

You're saying this because it hasn't been done yet. Some of the camos that fly today would have no doubt seemed excentric to aircraft enthusiasts 40 years ago... So if you like it and it looks good, just do it!

Sauragnmon

I'm with Gazer, G - why stick with what's already been done?  If the idea appeals to you, follow the Nike rule - Just Do It!

Looking forward to how you go Jaws on this puppy, man.  Good start so far!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

noxioux

I have to agree with the previous two posts.  A scheme made of circular dots is no less valid than a scheme made with squares.  Maybe more valid, since rounded shapes are more organic, more natural.

And a round-dot scheme would be fantastically more difficult to pull off that one of the current digital schemes.  Go for it!

G.Marcat

The circular dots scheme is too much interesting but...
but I must to purchase the round punches.
Here inside my home there is nothing that I can use to do the circles of tape.
I live in a semi rural area where to find certain items is not so easy.....
Will see.

Stargazer

Why not spray with an aerograph using a very narrow head (or whatever you call that in English)? Series of close, short, single-shots... No need for a tape or anything like that!

D-Angle

Most stationery stores sell self-adhesive dots in several sizes. You could also try using a hole-punch on a strip of masking tape?

G.Marcat

Left apart every experiment with the form of the paint dots/spots.
Done a pair of experiments to obtain the round spots but nothing worked as I need.
So, I do apply the tape as projected from the beginning.
After two afternoons of work, here is the work done.

srkirad

looks pretty nice with this bunch of Tamiya tape patches!

and actually, I just now noticed that your paintjob is really good - it takes a bit more zoomed photo to notice it!

I like it very much - can't wait to see final result after unmasking!

I have one suggestion - so far as I experienced work with Tamiya tape, tape should be peeled off the model when paint is only dry at touch, in this way you avoid peeling off the paint itself with tape.

Keep us informed with new photos as soon as you can :)
www.maketarskikutak.com

G.Marcat

Ever more near the end: (not 2012)

PAINTED the f-16/104 with the overall color.
There was two choices: light gray or sand.
Looking into the Gunze range to find a good choice I find the unexpected: the British HEMP color.
It look right for me: it's a undefined mix of green, gray and sand.

the result:

Eddie M.

Look behind you!