Saab Sea Drakken/Drakkar - Finished !!

Started by buzzbomb, November 05, 2009, 10:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Ok.. I am in.

Again ratting through the archives for something that took my fancy I found an old Airfix Drakken..and that got the juices flowing.
More ratting found a Novo Swordfish.. which has floats.

So I am thinking a Drakken on float/s. thinking single main and outriggers at this stage.

I am not big on backstory stuff, but suffice to say my idea is that this was one of doodlings that the design board thought.. hey.. that might work.... and a prototype was built for use in the fjords and lakes when runways might be socked in due to weather or out of action.

The history of Aviation is littered with these great ideas that work over jotting (and perhaps a few pints) but in reality don't have much merit.
I give you the SRA/1 Seaplane Fighter and the wonder of wonders.. the Blackburn ROC Floatplane. There are many, many more.

;D

Zeke

He he he...madness!...love the idea.
Would they be retractable floaty things?
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

beowulf

as mad as a box of frogs!...............i like it!
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

B777LR

Sounds like a good idea to get RDAF presence in Greenland :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

This reminds me Sea Dart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2Y_Sea_Dart IMO one of the coolest concept aircraft ever done

Waiting for your results :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Stargazer

Very interesting... May I suggest that a float version of the Drakken, quite logically, should be rechristened the Drakkar...  :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

Hmm thanks folks but still a ways to go yet,
but yes the float is envisaged to retract into the fuselage and given modern lightweight materials could also partially act as a fuel tank

Got a model of the Sea Dart and it was partially responsible but the Blackburn B.20 has a lot of inspiration as well

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/blackburn_b20.htm

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on November 06, 2009, 03:06:05 AM
Very interesting... May I suggest that a float version of the Drakken, quite logically, should be rechristened the Drakkar...  :thumbsup:

Now THAT!.. I like.. I shall make it so

Sauragnmon

Looking forward to seeing this one shaping up... or is it Shipping Up with the floats?  I agree, Center and Outriggers is the better choice, maybe have the outriggers out on a bend so they retract into a tip tank style layout, and the Center pulls up to look like an underbody CFT when in place.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

tanktastic43

I'm looking forward to this one.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

GTX

Fjord Fighter!!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on November 06, 2009, 12:37:01 PM
Fjord Fighter!!!!

Regards,

Greg

If he made it Soviet, "Fjord" could be it's NATO reporting name...... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Stargazer

Quote from: Weaver on November 06, 2009, 01:35:51 PM
If he made it Soviet, "Fjord" could be it's NATO reporting name...... ;D

Impossible! With just one syllable it would have to be prop-engined. Jet engined aircraft use two syllables... (this is called instant recycling of information I learned during the day!)

beowulf

it has got two sylables..... :huh:................'fee-ord'
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

buzzbomb

So the Sea Drakken or Drakkar continues.

I have done most of the preliminary work

General layout of how the float looks retracted.. the float looks chunky, but this is a heavier aircraft than the Stringbag it came from, modern flotation materials or not

Recessed float bay, bearing in mind we have to fit an engine in there as well.. plus faired in the old wheel wells

Mockup of how it sort of looks.

This made me decide the outrigger floats are too long and it sits too high, so I will lower it a tad

Now for the goof coat of primer to check for gaps and glaring goofers

More over the next couple of weeks

buzzbomb

We have movement again on the Drakkar

finished all the basics and now under undercoat heading for final painting

I decided to use overwing AAM rails as those pesky electronics would need some protection from spray, but I am putting tanks under wings.
Plus added a RWR to the fin tip.

main float from a Swordfish, the outriggers from a Piper Cub type thing in the junk box.

Although from certain angles it is starting to look like an Angel Interceptor :lol: