Republic F3N-2 (or the navalized "Jug")

Started by Slerski, November 07, 2009, 11:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

I should think the Bearcat could give some indication as to what the Thunderbolt might have looked like in navalized form. Here's a diagram that shows how the wing folds... Does it help in any way?

Taiidantomcat

This is awesome so far! Can't wait to see it!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Slerski

Damned !!

Project is stopped (I'm on holiday  :ph34r:). However I've bought the paints yesterday :)
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Slerski

A little picture of a future disaster  :banghead:, I'll continue the project but I think I'll buy a new P-47...

sandiego89

Slerski, looks good to me.  I say finish it. Maybe without a wing fold if you are worried about that. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Sauragnmon

I say she's coming along good, man... just take it easy, and you should be able to finish things without problems.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Slerski

We are close to the end...

Need to glue : prop, canopy. Add some decals, but she starts to look to a F3N. Maybe I'll fix some loads but I don't think it's necessary.

John Howling Mouse

Coming along nicely...any further update since Dec 12?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Cobra

Great Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: this Baby says,"TOP GUN" IMHO!!!!!!! Can't wait to see how she Turns out!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Slerski

Thanks everybody. Update will come because I've made a second plane (with unfolded wings - Hobbyboss Easykit P47) and I wanted to do a small diorama. But they are both close from finish.

For the most impatients...

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

buzzbomb

Striking colour scheme.. it works

I like it a lot :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Slerski

Republic Aviation F3N "Seabolt"

The Republic F3N was a carrier-based fighter-bomber that saw service primarily in World War II and the Korean War.
F3Ns served with the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marines, Fleet Air Arm, Royal New Zealand and Royal Australian Air Force, as well the French Navy Aeronavale postwar. It quickly became the most capable carrier-based fighter-bomber of World War II.

Development

In September 1942, the U.S. Navy Bureau of Aeronautics published a request for a single-engined fighter-bomber to replace the F4U Corsair, which was rejected after unsuccessful carrier qualification trials. For this single-engined fighter the Navy requested the maximum obtainable speed, and a stalling speed not higher than 70 miles per hour (110 km/h). A combat range of 1,000 miles (1,600 km) was specified. The fighter had to carry six .50 guns or two 20mm cannon with 4 guns.

In December 1942, the U.S. Navy signed with Republic Aviation a contract for a prototype, the XF3N-1. Essentially similar to the P-47C-5 (Razorback version), the initial F3N-1 had similar adpations for naval service : folding wings, arrestor hook and reinforced landing gear. After mock-up inspection in February 1943, construction of the XF3N-1 powered by an R-2800-59 engine, rated at 2,535 hp (1,890 kW) went ahead quickly. The first flight of the XF3N-1 was made on 29 May 1943. Although there were minor problems, such as some wing vibrations, the aircraft proved impressive and secure in its first trials. U.S. Navy awarded Republic a contract for 184 F3N-1 fighters on July 30 of the same year.

The first production aircraft off the line, designated F3N-1s, flew on 3 October 1943 with the type reaching operational readiness with VF-9 on USS Essex in January 1944.

In service

Standard armament on the F3N consisted of four 20mm Hispano M3 cannon with 180 rpg; later aircraft gained three hardpoints to carry a total bombload in excess of 2,000 lb (900 kg). The center hardpoint also had the ability to carry a single 150 gal (568 l) disposable drop tank. Six 5 in (127 mm) HVARs (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket) could be carried; three under each wing.

Rapidly, F3N-1 are replaced in first-line units by new F3N-2, whose bubbletop canopy gives an advantage in air combat. Furthermore, the new fuel circuit of the F3N-2 allows the assembling of additional tanks, increasing the range of the fighter. Stronger than Hellcat, Seabolt proved  in various occasions its fighting efficiency and its capacity to take heavy damage in front of the Flak. The fire power of the 20mm cannons, considerable in close-air support mission, allows the adaptation of Seabolt in the more aggressive role of fighter-bomber.

It is mainly in this role that British Fleet Air Arm used it since her aircraft carrier, during the Normandy operations and more largely in Italy and in Provence. It is on this battlefront that Seabolt Mk. II, name used by the British, saw its biggest prize list out of US NAVY: 148 confirmed aircraft  and 75 probables; 1 cruiser, 4 destroyers and 2 submarines; 528 locomotives destroyed in spite of an impressive rate of losses (65 lost, among which 49 by the Flak). Fleet Air Arm used her Seabolt Mk. II to the bitter end, withdrawing them from the service in 1959, after these knew a last fly during the Suez Campaign.

Seabolt stayed in the front line till the end of the war with the US Navy, proving in various occasions its fighting capacities. But the end of the Second World War lives a drastic reduction of the Seabolt number in service in the Navy, numerous planes being resold in diverse navies using it. Number of them was put under cocoon, waiting for demolition. But this one didn't come and the Korean War allowed to rerelease Seabolt, among which four 20mm cannons must be appreciated during the COIN missions. The end of the Korean War sounded the knell of the glorious Republic's fighter, which ended its career as flying target in the China Lake polygon.

The Marine Nationale got 187 Seabolt (69 F3N-2 and 118 F3N-4F). They entered service under the three-coloured rosette during the 12F and 15F deployment aboard the CVL-27 "La Fayette", who marked the arrival of French Seabolt on the Pacific front. They served until 1967 in the Marine Nationale, at first as fighter-bomber (Pacific Campaign then Indochina War) then as COIN aircraft (Suez Campaign then Algerian War). After 19 years of loyal services, the last Seabolt of the "Royale" took a well deserved retirement.

Australia and New Zealand Navy both used Seabolt Mk. IV from their respective aircraft carrier (HMAS Sydney and HMNZS Wellington) on the Pacific front. They took part in the Battle of Mariannes and in the conquest of Okinawa, before being redeployed at the end by the conflict. New Zealand Seabolt were fast retired from service (further to the withdrawal of their aircraft carrier in 1952) but Australian Seabolt knew an a little longer career. Aboard HMAS Sydney, they played a small role during the Suez crisis, distinguishing itself by deceiving (very involuntarily as it is said) the American fleet which took the HMAS Sydney for a Royal Navy aircraft carrier...

The Seabolt fighter, which 6215 had been made, shot down 1837 enemy aircrafts (for all variants), with 489 aircrafts loss (including aircrafts destroyed on the ground or in training) during a career which lasted 24 years (from 1943 till 1967).

Variants

- F3N-1 (FAA Seabolt Mk.I) : first operationnal variant R-2800-59W engine, 4 Hispano M3 20mm cannon, no hardpoints. 297 aircraft produced.
- F3N-1A (Seabolt Mk.IA) : new R-2800-61 (2800hp) motor with Hamilton Standard propeller, 3 hardpoints (1 wet and 2 dry). 1.267 aircraft produced.
- F3N-2 (Seabolt Mk.II) : bubbletop variant, 4 hispano MkV cannon. 3.798 aircraft produced.
- F3N-3 : Hercules-powered variant studied for the FAA. Never built.
- F3N-4 : Lend-lease variant, known as Seabolt Mk.IV. Same engine as F3N-2. Used by RNZAF et RAAF. 735 aircraft produced.
- F3N-4F : French Navy variant. R2800-59W engine, 4 Hispano MkVI cannon. 118 aircraft built.
- SO.180 "Rorqual" : French licence-built variant. Gnome&Rhone 14K engine (3200 hp)

Operators

- Australia : Royal Australian Navy
- France : French Navy
- New Zealand : Royal New Zealand Navy
- United Kingdom : Fleet Air Arm
- United States : US Navy, US Marine Corps