The awesome dioramas thread

Started by nev, November 11, 2009, 10:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

It is very good.  I've seen similar done with large, "O" gauge stuff.  Very realistic.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

bearmatt

Some stunning stuff here. And dito for me as for the train station.... Looks so realistic
The carpet monster took it!

Dizzyfugu

Not really a diorama, but... sort of? And maybe inspirational?

Check the nice cammo job on the gun!

kerick

Troops with a little time on their hands. I didn't see the tank at first, just the machine gun.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Now THAT'S what you call camouflage!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

dadlamassu

To me it looks like a photoshop job.

Look for the joins and black outlines.

Old Wombat

The only photoshop element I can se is the guy leaning on the gun barrel, & the forward part of the barrel may have been altered to allow the pictured guy to be 'leaning' on it.

Everything else looks legit., wired on bark, etc., even the jacket.

As a pre-prepared defensive position it looks to be pretty good, not sure if there are enough earthworks to the front & sides, though.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ChernayaAkula

Nothing photoshopped about it. Maybe it's the camera's flash that makes the guy stand out a little (as with the bush in the right-hand corner of the pic below).  :unsure:
There were a couple more (five or so) pics of this tank on some Russian website. Here are two, but I seem to recall there were more. Can't find the right source at the moment, though.

SOURCE
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

I also think it's legit - as someone mentioned a well-prepared defensive position, IMHO. I have seen Danish and Swedish tanks with great "on top" high-tech cammo, but this one here shows nicely that natural products have their charm, too.  ;D

rickshaw

Unfortunately, natural products need constant maintenance as they die and require replacement.

The objective of camouflage (as I was taught) is not to make things disappear but rather to make them difficult to see by breaking up their outlines and render them simply a "part of the background".  This tank will look fine, as long as it's stationary and in the woods but once moving, particularly across open countryside it will stand out like a pair of dog's whatsits.

As we can't see behind the camera so we really can't see if there is an earth berm there but it does appear to be dug in a little bit.  If they were mounting an ambush, I'd give them about 9 out of 10.  Otherwise, they obviously have too much time on their hands...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

benskipper

The Russians were always very good at cam. The Germans even used captured training films made by them during world war 2.
Livin' the dream since '74

Old Wombat

On the right side of the 1st of those later pic's I think I can see 2 more tanks similarly camouflaged in what appears to be a defensive ambush position.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

All nice but I particularly like Endurance in the top pic, very nicely done.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dumaniac

nice dioramas - thanks for the pics