The awesome dioramas thread

Started by nev, November 11, 2009, 10:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinbayer

Hmmm... over lunch break I went to the nearest ocean shoreline (Seal Beach, Calif.) to have a look at the real thing in form of wave interaction with the local pier pilings. Though the sea was pretty calm (no major offshore quakes today, therefore no tsunami, and not even what passes for a winter storm in these parts – no whitecaps in the open water, and according to the beach weather board 2 to 3 feet surf, with 0 to 5 knots onshore wind), the backwash following an onshore wave produced some notable and fairly impressive bow waves around the pilings, especially the ones closest to the water line. Keeping in mind that the effect of pontoons would obviously be somewhat less dramatic, since pilings displace water across the whole depth rather than just near the surface, the overall rendering in the diorama still strikes me as pretty realistic (the only potential nit you might still pick is that the flow around the jetty pilings does not look consistent with the flow around the pontoons, but then again I noticed different flow patterns even around adjacent pilings due to cross flows, eddies etc.) – no tsunami required.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

B777LR

Lol Mossie, i like that title! Joyless Maritime Numpty. Sorta like when i set the sails when sailing ;D

Quote from: martinbayer on January 12, 2010, 12:53:25 PM
Hmmm... over lunch break I went to the nearest ocean shoreline (Seal Beach, Calif.) to have a look at the real thing in form of wave interaction with the local pier pilings. Though the sea was pretty calm (no major offshore quakes today, therefore no tsunami, and not even what passes for a winter storm in these parts – no whitecaps in the open water, and according to the beach weather board 2 to 3 feet surf, with 0 to 5 knots onshore wind), the backwash following an onshore wave produced some notable and fairly impressive bow waves around the pilings, especially the ones closest to the water line. Keeping in mind that the effect of pontoons would obviously be somewhat less dramatic, since pilings displace water across the whole depth rather than just near the surface, the overall rendering in the diorama still strikes me as pretty realistic (the only potential nit you might still pick is that the flow around the jetty pilings does not look consistent with the flow around the pontoons, but then again I noticed different flow patterns even around adjacent pilings due to cross flows, eddies etc.) – no tsunami required.

Mind, i've been sailing, kayaking and windsurfing since i was 6. I would know how much speed is need to create any sort of noticeable pattern flow in that shallow and calm water that close to the beach :thumbsup: That is not a beach in california, but a beach in the Maldives. Beaches around there are not the same long flat ones, and the backwash is not as great as you might see in places such as west Jutland or California :thumbsup:

martinbayer

Looking at Google Image results for 'Maldives' and 'beach' yields a whole number of beaches that are indeed notably longer and flatter than the one in Seal Beach, so pardon me for taking your blanket statement with a grain of salt (or sand, so to speak).

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on January 12, 2010, 12:23:42 PM
I think some of these might have been shown, but here's a site with some fantastic stuff by Martin Schuster:
http://www.schusterdiorama-35.cz/en/gallery/1/
http://www.schusterdiorama-35.cz/en/gallery/3/

Wow!  :bow: Seriously wow!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

B777LR

Quote from: martinbayer on January 12, 2010, 02:21:58 PM
Looking at Google Image results for 'Maldives' and 'beach' yields a whole number of beaches that are indeed notably longer and flatter than the one in Seal Beach, so pardon me for taking your blanket statement with a grain of salt (or sand, so to speak).

Martin

Does Seal Beach have a coral reef to break up the big waves though?

martinbayer

Not that I'm aware of, but since, as I previously mentioned, there were no big waves at the time of my observation to begin with, there weren't any to be broken up anyway ;D. And since the Maldives are also a surfing destination with associated resorts http://surfmaldivas.com/waves.php http://www.wwwmaldives.com/surfing-resorts-maldives.html http://www.tropicalcruise.co.uk/maldives/surfing-maldives.htm (note especially the quote "Some island resorts on the atoll edge have good waves for surfing.") http://www.seansunmaldives.com/content3.asp?uid=19 (note especially the quote: "The surf throughout the Maldives generally ranges in size from 4-8 feet, however bigger days have been experienced."), it sounds like there's a few spots where the waves make it through after all  ;D. But here's an actual Maldivian beach picture that's pretty comparable to the conditions I witnessed in Seal Beach yesterday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/truebavarian/248070551/

Martin

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Those are some excellent dioramas thanks for sharing Mossie  :thumbsup: Really like the snowy T-72
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

In order to get this thread back on track, how about this work in progress!!

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Excellent job on the car so far! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I was focusing on the car, but that piece of rug is probably the most impressive part.  Now it's possible to buy cross-stich book marks & stuff that would work, but it's actual fabric, great attention to detail.

ChernayaAkula

On Modelshipwrights.com I found THIS LINK to Monogram Diorama Tips by Shep Paine.

------------------------------

Found this dio >>HERE<< on Modelshipwrights.com as well.
It's called "At the Garden's Gate" and is part 1 of a triptych about the abandoned town of Pripyat (Chernobyl disaster) and the Exclusion Zone. I don't know whether you can call it a dio, without figures and without telling a story, but it kind of tells a story in its own, very strong way. The handiwork is first class, too!

Look at the puddle and the fallen leaves!  :bow:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sisko

Very nice!

I have always thought the doco "Life after people" or the book on which it was based called "The World Without Us" would make for great Dio ideas.

Abandoned cars, building boats etc all in varying stages of decay. The sky is the limit.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May