The awesome dioramas thread

Started by nev, November 11, 2009, 10:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Quote from: nev on January 21, 2010, 12:12:18 PM
How about this.  Oh, and by the way, its 1/72!!! :o

Where did the skirts go?

Taiidantomcat

Cool Chernobyl Dio and That King tiger is excellent. Two great dioramas that set an excellent mood or tone  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Another one from Armorama:

>>THE WOMB<<
Probably one of the most intense dioramas I've ever seen. Scary, sad, cruel - definitely emotion-provoking.  :bow: It's based one the poem "The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner", which ends on the rather gruelling line "When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose". And that is what the builder tried to depict. At first I thought the B-17 had crashed into the sea, but according to the WIP thread the "water" is not sea water, but fire-fighting foam. 

WIP thread >>HERE<< on Armorama
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

Yeah, I was following the WIP of that when it was being done.  Stupendous modelling skills/
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Taiidantomcat

Impressive... Even the layout and the way all the elements work together is jaw-dropping.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Another two from Armorama:

Through Hell and High Hedgerows!
The diorama itself is pretty nice, but what really sets it apart is the presentation. The dio is shaped like an arrow and marks the axis of advance of that unit on that day on the map. Great idea!  :bow:

More pics can be found >>HERE<< on Armorama.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A second for goodbye!
Navy SEALS and VC prisoner - interesting weapon choices. Don't remember where I read it, but the SEALs did use the H&K G3 in 'Nam.
More pics >>HERE<<

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nev

Superb presentation on the Sherman.  And the 'Nam one....that muddy water is superb, a wonderfully done scene.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Love the Sherman one.

Scanned some more of Gavin's stuff.  This may take a couple posts.

The Lost Patrol consists of a modified Battletech walker and some Space Marines.

He made some modes to the walker to have it fit the 40K universe a little better.

While not that easy to see, the old patrol was wiped out.  There are shell casings littering the area and the last survivors have their knives in hand.  He combined Space Marine figures with skeletons for the aged look and some of the armor has been put on a pole and written on. "Eartman go home".  Guess the aliens don't spell that well.  One of the troopers is collecting dogtags and the rocks are made from aged Redwood bark.  Gavin told us you can leave it out in the sun for a summer or you can find some preweathered pieces in your neighbors yards.

This one shows the use of nuclear weapons in wargaming.  The figures are from the Tamiya Pit Crew set in 1/16? and the ping pong table and wargame stuff was all scratchbuilt.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Here are some slightly better pics of his Cousteau dio.  Remember, this is in 1/125th scale.

Note the bubbles on the divers made from microbeads.

Rorke's Drift is in 15mm scale with the building a little smaller.  Can't remember how many figures he put on this but it is a few.  All the casualties were converted as in wargaming, you just take the figures off the table.  This has won numerous awards and was featured in a 2 part series in the old Scale Modeler magazine.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

dy031101

Quote from: philp on February 11, 2010, 12:18:10 AM
Here are some slightly better pics of his Cousteau dio.

That research boat with its Hughes 300 for some reason kept bringing me to the "how to spice up riverine gunboats and armed yachts" topic......

EDIT: correction as per pointed out by joncarrfarrelly.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

philp

Well, it was a converted Minesweeper IIRC.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on March 04, 2010, 09:38:21 AM
Quote from: philp on February 11, 2010, 12:18:10 AM
Here are some slightly better pics of his Cousteau dio.

That salvage boat with its Hughes 300 for some reason kept bringing me to the "how to spice up riverine gunboats and armed yachts" topic......

The Calypso was not a 'salvage boat', Cousteau's organization used her for oceanographic research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Calypso

ChernayaAkula

Figured this great thread was in need of a revive, so here are two awesome dioramas for your viewing pleasure.

Fast-roping!
1/72, self-sculpted figures, weighted rotor and landing gear unweighted - tailor-made for a thread named "awesome dioramas"!

More pics of the finished dio >>HERE<<, the very insightful in-progress thread >>HERE<<.

-----------------------------------------------------

Unnamed diorama featuring a 1/72 Opel Blitz found over on Armorama.
The water is from out of this world. :bow: More of that >>HERE<<.

Cheers,
Moritz