The awesome dioramas thread

Started by nev, November 11, 2009, 10:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Top photo of that Bike Shop is amazing  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

If only they had done the Mech bay in 1/72nd I would have bought at least a couple of them back then. 
As is, have several mechs to build and working on ideas of what bases to put with them.  A mech bay is definitely on the list.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: RussC on August 23, 2012, 05:44:19 AM
Introspection - that maybe it would be easier to have built a 1:1 functioning motorcycle shop, and quicker too!  :banghead:

Much easier: just spend all your money on bikes and tools instead of decorating and DIY and you'll pretty much get one by accident....

I just noticed the Haynes Manual on the bench....... :blink: :bow:     Mind you, there's a (kind-of) anomaly actually: it's the one for Triumph Twins, and all the Triumphs in the dio are based on 3HW singles, presumably from the Bronco kit (not much choice of bikes in 1/35th). You could always say that the guy on the twin just left, of course.... ;)

EDIT: just found the build thread for this diorama: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1453.0  :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: philp on August 23, 2012, 08:06:10 AM
If only they had done the Mech bay in 1/72nd I would have bought at least a couple of them back then. 
As is, have several mechs to build and working on ideas of what bases to put with them.  A mech bay is definitely on the list.

The 1:100 kit above has just been re-released in Japan at a reasonable price - but it is definitively too small for 1:72, and even OOB it is pretty crude and basic, IMHO you need to invest some work in details and finish.

An option could be the modular hangar system from Kotobukiya, though, even though the elements are hard to get, even online. These are intended for small scane mecha, too, but you can stack wall elements and connect floor modules for an appropriately sized working bay.

philp

I agree.  Have looked at some of the stuff they carry at Starshipmodeler but it doesn't give any sizes so hard to figure what I would have to get.

And so I don't completely stay OT, here are a few of my favorite dios from the recent Nats.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ChernayaAkula

This thread was in dire need of a revive! :thumbsup: Good job, guys!  :cheers:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Gondor

What is that thing in the bottom picture?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

philp

Think you are correct.  I looked at it but don't remember reading about it.  Do remember the guy in tan in the middle was Adolf.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Gondor

I asked as I had never heard of such a device

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on August 25, 2012, 12:47:05 PM
I asked as I had never heard of such a device

Gondor

You do not miss much, since it is brown myth like the "Haunebu" (whatever THIS is supposed to mean) flying saucers. There's a US TV documentation about this SF project that frequently haunts private TV channels here in Germany at late hours... Colorful, but only rumors, no facts, and depending on that the Glocke and what I know about the topic, the device in the diorama is rather big...

philp

This one is pretty nice.

Pics start here.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kerick

Best flames ever! I'm guessing LEDS were involved.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?