Some creations...

Started by Slerski, November 15, 2009, 09:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slerski

Saab JAS 38 Fenrir

By the middle of 1970s a replacement for Sweden's ageing Saab 35 Draken and Saab 37 Viggen was needed. A new fighter was being considered by 1976, with design studies beginning the following year. The development of the Fenrir began in 1978 with approval from Swedish Parliament.

The Fenrir was designed for performance, flexibility, effectiveness and survivability in air combat. The designation JAS stands for Jakt (Air-to-Air), Attack (Air-to-Surface), and Spaning (Reconnaissance), indicating that the Fenrir is a multirole fighter aircraft that can fulfil each mission type. The JAS 38 received the name Fenrir through a public competition in 1978.

Sweden chose to develop the Fenrir rather than purchase a variant of the F-16 or of the F/A-18A/B. The first Fenrir was rolled out on 26 April 1981. First prototype first flew on 9 December 1982. Despite the prototype crashing on 18 March 1983 due to flutter, killing its pilot, an order for three prototypes was placed on 26 March 1983.

As a successor to Saab 35 Draken and Saab 37 Viggen fighters, the Fenrir was studied for all-weather interception. It was powered by a Volvo Aero RM-9K turbojet and possessed the layout of a low-mounted delta-wing on the fuselage and a twin tail surface. The first production Fenrir was equipped with an Ericsson PS-46A multi-mode Doppler-pulse radar, with look-down/shoot-down capability. First deliveries to the Swedish Air Force took place in May 1985, entering squadron service in December that year.

The Fenrir affords more flexibility than earlier generations of combat aircraft used by Sweden, and its operating costs are about two thirds of those for JA 37 Viggen.

Initially, the aircraft was armed with two internal 30 mm cannons, two Rb.71 (Skyflash) medium-range air-to-air missiles and two Rb.74 (AIM-9L) short-range air-to-air missiles carried under the wings. In 1993, the Rb.99 (AIM-120) entered in service in the Swedish Air Force and replaced the Rb.74 in Fenrirs missile inventory.

« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Stargazer

Nice! But to me it looks too Dassault-like to make a convincing Saab...  :-\

Slerski

Hum... Surely, but I don't want her to be Dassault-build and as a Swedish plane, I thought at Saab.
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Taiidantomcat

It looks fast and lethal  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on December 26, 2010, 10:37:45 AM
Nice! But to me it looks too Dassault-like to make a convincing Saab...  :-\

Unfortunately the front half is far too "Mirage" to be convincing as a Saab............Sorry.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Perhaps in this trouser-leg of time, Marcel Bloch migrated to Sweden after the war?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Stargazer

Quote from: rickshaw on December 29, 2010, 06:27:34 AM
Perhaps in this trouser-leg of time, Marcel Bloch migrated to Sweden after the war?  ;)

Now THAT would make for an interesting alternate timeline!!!  :thumbsup:

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Slerski on December 26, 2010, 11:56:29 AM
Hum... Surely, but I don't want her to be Dassault-build and as a Swedish plane, I thought at Saab.

It's your What If timeline and speculative world...go with it and enjoy your model and concept.

:thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

NARSES2

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 29, 2010, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: Slerski on December 26, 2010, 11:56:29 AM

It's your What If timeline and speculative world...go with it and enjoy your model and concept.

:thumbsup:

Exactly sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on December 29, 2010, 06:50:19 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 29, 2010, 06:27:34 AM

Now THAT would make for an interesting alternate timeline!!!  :thumbsup:

It would.  Considering the way Marcel Bloch had been treated by his fellow Frenchmen, its surprising that he stayed on and continued working there IMHO!
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

JayBee

No, no, no. You have all got it wrong the French stole the design from the Swedes :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

PYF42

Bonjour
I really like all your "Mirage"
You must work for "Dassault aviation"
Regards
Fred

James

Certainly looks like it wouldn't stand still!

sequoiaranger

....the three extra, round bombs hidden in the nosewheel well!!  :wacko:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!