Something totally wrong.....C-45 float plane

Started by chrisonord, November 16, 2009, 02:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Yes you read that right :o
I have built something that is totally different to what I usually build, :blink:
For a start, it is a WW2 aircraft, and it still has its original engines(not turbo props). It has some gloss paint on it, and it still looks mostly like it should,baring the floats and 3 blade props :rolleyes:Oh, and there are no weapons on it :angry:
The kit is the Pioneer C-45 Epeditor in 1/72nd scale, not the best fitting kit but it was cheap enough for what I will be doing to it  :wacko:
I will be doing a diorama when space allows and the C-45 will be part of the scenery being a crashed drug runner aircraft. The floats will be removed and the propellers suitably fubared, as it will have mown down a portion of Nicaraguan jungle.
The aircraft is a cartel aircraft, and is used as a "mail" plane, to collect/deliver drugs, money cartel members and supplies. Float planes and flying boats are used extensively by the cartel as they do not have to operate from vulnerable airstrips, and they can be hidden in creeks and estuaries.

Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Make it Hawaii & it's straight out of Lost....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Looks suitably grungy.

BTW three-blade props and floats are both real world Beech 18/C-45 variations, along with turboprops,
tricycle landing gear, single vertical fin/rudder and some serious fuselage stretches. The Model 18 was
in production from 1937 until 26 November, 1969 and may be the most modified aircraft in history.

Brian da Basher

Cobra

Sweet Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: this Feels like something out of 'Tales of The Gold Monkey' or 'Miami Vice'!!!!!!!!!!! Like the Colors & Markings!!!!!! Hope to see More Cool Stuff from You!!!! :cheers:

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Cheers for that Robert, now there is something I forgot to put on this thing, a ladder from the cabin door :banghead: I will see what Ihave suitable enough for that job.
Cheers,
chris.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

:thumbsup:
In the topic's title was "something totally wrong......" and I do not understand why, as your model looks very right, doesn't it?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

chrisonord

Quote from: Tophe on November 27, 2009, 03:23:30 AM
In the topic's title was "something totally wrong......" and I do not understand why, as your model looks very right, doesn't it?

Hi Tophe,
I mean it in a different sense, as I don't usually build non military, unarmed, piston engined aircraft.
Cheers,
Chris.

Stargazer

Quote from: chrisonord on November 27, 2009, 04:53:40 AM
Quote from: Tophe on November 27, 2009, 03:23:30 AM

Hi Tophe,
I mean it in a different sense, as I don't usually build non military, unarmed, piston engined aircraft.
Cheers,
Chris.

Well, since there WAS a real military version called the C-45 Expediter (UC-45 after 1944), it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine a floatplane version of the C-45... It might have been slightly armed to serve as a coastal patrol aircraft... As for the engine... why not imagine a turbine powered prototype conversion? XC-45J "Turbo Expediter" sounds pretty cool, doesn't it?  ;D

chrisonord

Hmmm? turbo prop C-45........... :wacko:
No stop that!! I have enough to convert as it is without doing one of those :lol:
I have another turbo tigercat, that is 75% done, and I want to do a turbo prop Skyraider( thanks to Jeffry :lol:) so I am scouring the universe for a cheap 72nd scale skyraider now :rolleyes:
Oh and by the way, the c-45 doesn't float. Don't ask me how I know that :blink:
Chris.

sequoiaranger

>...and I want to do a turbo prop Skyraider (thanks to Jeffry cheesy) so I am scouring the universe for a cheap 72nd scale Skyraider now<

If you want to do a 1/72 Turboprop Skyraider, then you won't be using the kit prop, so I may have a proposition for you! For my Decimator (Skyraider-based) I wanted to have every available Skyraider kit to work from. I had thought of using the Arifix dive-brakes, but have since changed my mind. The whif is coming along just fine with the Fujimi components. My Monogram Skyraider was given away and used well, so I think my Airfix one is "now up for grabs". I "need" the prop for another whif, but that's all. I need to check the model for completeness, but....are you interested?

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

chrisonord

Hmm?
Very Hmmmm?
I might just be Craig I might just be. I am watching one on ebay at the moment, but that should be finished soon. Pm me with a price for it Craig and we can have a look see.
Cheers,
Chris.

Stargazer

Quote from: chrisonord on November 27, 2009, 02:48:11 PM
Hmmm? turbo prop C-45........... :wacko:
No stop that!! I have enough to convert as it is without doing one of those :lol:

Just realized I made a mistake in my post and fixed it accordingly (it said UC-43 Traveler, which was of course the Beech 17, not the Beech 18!!!)