Main Menu

"Spooky" gunships

Started by sandiego89, November 17, 2009, 10:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I have an occasional project to collect kits for an Alternative History of the Gunship series of builds.

Acquired so far (all 1/72ndish):

Ford Trimotor (3 x water-cooled Brownings with Doughboys crouching behind them... ;D)

Noratlas (for Algeria. No idea on weapons yet)

Skyvan (only maybe - it's been done-to-death and I have other possible projects for it)

An-72P (for Afghanistan: current thinking is two independently steerable 30mm gatlings and a rack of side-firing AT-6 Spirals)

Future Possibles:

Airship with steam engine, hand-cranked Gatling/Gardners and crew in pith helmets.... ;D

An-12: Straight AC-130 rip-off that failed miserably in A'stan, leading to the more radical An-72 above.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

deathjester

Just to be a little silly - how about the Airbus A380 - then you could have two full gun decks!!

Shasper

Li-2 & Il-18 come to mind . . .
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

ChernayaAkula

Maybe a C-160 Transall could be converted to a gunship? Once the A400Ms are in Luftwaffe service, how about some Transalls kept back and converted for special forces support? Or a South African Transall gunship?

Quote from: deathjester on November 18, 2009, 04:50:25 AM
Just to be a little silly - how about the Airbus A380 - then you could have two full gun decks!!

A-380 Gunship:huh: Nah, A-380 Galleon! :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

philp

I also have a Noratlas project but mine will be Israeli.  Thinking similar layout as AC-119.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

deathjester

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 18, 2009, 06:16:45 AM
Maybe a C-160 Transall could be converted to a gunship? Once the A400Ms are in Luftwaffe service, how about some Transalls kept back and converted for special forces support? Or a South African Transall gunship?

Quote from: deathjester on November 18, 2009, 04:50:25 AM

A-380 Gunship:huh: Nah, A-380 Galleon! :wacko:
:cheers: Exactly!!  Now that's what I call 'engage the enemy more closely'!!

Weaver

You could give the A380 rows of gun ports with muzzle-loaders projecting from them, a figurehead over the cockpit and a galleon "stern" with big windows for the dinig room and the posh cabins..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

JayBee

Nobody is to let Radish see this thread. O.K.
:rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

How about a Beverley with 3-4 sideways 25 pders mounted on the lower deck and a matched set of Vickers .303s on the boom?  :lol:

If you needed to 'up-gun' it, you could mount a 5.5 Medium in the back door and REALLY let fly. The problem with that would be trying to stop the Bev exceeding its VNE when you fired the 5.5!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2009, 10:59:29 AM
How about a Beverley with 3-4 sideways 25 pders mounted on the lower deck and a matched set of Vickers .303s on the boom?  :lol:

If you needed to 'up-gun' it, you could mount a 5.5 Medium in the back door and REALLY let fly. The problem with that would be trying to stop the Bev exceeding its VNE when you fired the 5.5!

You'd have to have an interlock to prevent all those 25pdrs firing at once, otherwise it'd exceed it's VNE sideways.... :blink:

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on November 18, 2009, 11:04:36 AM
You'd have to have an interlock to prevent all those 25pdrs firing at once, otherwise it'd exceed it's VNE sideways.... :blink:

Hehehe, yes indeed. The mind BOGGLES at the noise inside when they fired, and I've flown in a Bev's hold and fired a 25 pdr too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

I was inspired by Airplanedrivers F28 (i'm sure it was the Airfix 1/72 in RAF colours......) and have been toying with this idea. The kits I had in mind were any of these....all 1/72...Airfix Fokker F28 with various guns out of one side and possibly underwing stores like the one seen already...Airfix Islander/defender,smaller guns out of one side with smaller underwing ordanance..possibly hellfire and a Dornier 228....possibly RN and carrier based,obviously on the larger RN carriers coming into service....possibly  ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

sandiego89

Great ideas, glad to see I wasn't alone in my thoughts on this one . 

I was also thinking P-3 and C-2 for some naval gunships. 

Noratlas would be very nice. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

philp

SC did some P-3 Gunship profiles in his thread.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PanzerWulff

How about some WWII versions of the AC-47 mounting a battery of .50 cal & 20mm oilerikons on a C-47 or navy R4D or das luftwaffe gunship out of a Ju-52 or a Me323 Gigant? or a modern USN gunship for support of mariene landings usung a C2 Greyhound
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!