Supermarine Spitfire and Seafire

Started by nev, August 08, 2002, 01:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Quote from: Nils on January 03, 2021, 02:32:51 AM
ive recently been ispired by parasol wing fighters, and i was thinking of building a parasol-wing version of the spitfire in an early 1930's style, with a Focke Wulf Fw.56 style landinggear.

ivebeen thinking of calling it the Supermarine Sprite or Sylph

Sound's good!  :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

How about a Slip Wing Spitfire to go with the Hurricane ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Quote from: Nils on January 03, 2021, 02:32:51 AM
ive recently been ispired by parasol wing fighters, and i was thinking of building a parasol-wing version of the spitfire in an early 1930's style, with a Focke Wulf Fw.56 style landinggear.

ivebeen thinking of calling it the Supermarine Sprite or Sylph
That reminds me of a Steampunk Spitfire that I've seen. Not sure if it has been posted here before.

DeviantArt link just in case: https://www.deviantart.com/ornicar/art/Steampunk-City-181825584

Flyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 03, 2021, 05:50:38 AM
How about a Slip Wing Spitfire to go with the Hurricane ?

Something that has always bugged me about the Slip Wing concept, the wing area gets doubled but the horizontal stabilizer area doesn't change, that must have made for unpleasant handling and/or stability and as it was designed for long distance ferry flights (I think) that seems less than ideal, level flight for any length of time surely must have been a challenge... :unsure:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

The Putnam's Hawker book simply says that the slip wing was designed to provide extra lift for take off. It flew several times and then the scheme was abandoned.

The Crecy Hawker Hurricane book says basically the same thing, but adds that it was specifically designed to allow a Hurricane overloaded with fuel for a long ferry flight to take off and that after reaching cruising altitude the wing would be jettisoned.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That top one's very much like the one at Palm Springs, contra-prop, clipped wings and all.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've seen something similar to the jet one before. However it had a straight through inlet/engine/exhaust, your exhaust outlets in the wing roots is much neater  :thumbsup:

Could be fun to land though ?  ;D