Secret Santa 2009

Started by philp, November 20, 2009, 02:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

In case you haven't seen it, PW wanted to start up the Secret Santa program again this year and so it is.  
If you are interested, go to the thread below and sign up before Dec. 1st

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=26353.new;topicseen#new

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

Indeed yes. For is it not written that if thou fail'est to sign up, then thou shallt cry into thy beer? Or bear if you prefer.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Only the Canadians and some of the Americans have the option of crying into their bears, and then only once. What's more, if the Americans cry into their beer, they'll raise it's strength to illegal levels. Personally, I'd take the option of crying into my beard, but since I'm signed up for the Secret Santa, the safety issues of this course of action will remain unexplored, at least by me.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on November 21, 2009, 01:16:12 AM
What's more, if the Americans cry into their beer, they'll raise it's strength to illegal levels.
Obviously you've never had a Diamond Knot Brewery Industrial IPA, at 8.1% its more than strong enough.  ;D
Personally, I prefer their regular IPA at 6.2%.

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 23, 2009, 06:47:49 PM
Quote from: Weaver on November 21, 2009, 01:16:12 AM
What's more, if the Americans cry into their beer, they'll raise it's strength to illegal levels.
Obviously you've never had a Diamond Knot Brewery Industrial IPA, at 8.1% its more than strong enough.  ;D
Personally, I prefer their regular IPA at 6.2%.

LOL - yeah I know that US beer has come a long way in variety and strength since the days of universal "Budwater", but it's a standard jibe, like randy Frenchmen, humourless Germans and snotty Englishmen, that needs an airing once in a while..... ;D :wacko:

My favorite tipple in Robinson's Old Tom, a winter ale rated at 8.00%  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

philp

I prefer Root Beer but Mountain Dew is still the best.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Bungle

Quote from: Weaver on November 23, 2009, 09:11:40 PM
[LOL - yeah I know that US beer has come a long way in variety and strength since the days of universal "Budwater", but it's a standard jibe, like randy Frenchmen, humourless Germans and snotty Englishmen, that needs an airing once in a while..... ;

I say, old boy, that's a bit jolly unsporting, don't you know. Piffle, in fact, I'll have you know that we English are far from snotty, far from it indeed. I think that is very bad form, yes very bad form. In fact if you do not retract your accusation I will jolly well have to get my man to biff you. Yes biff you he will, fisticuffs, don't you know.

I say Pierre.  <rings handbell> Pierre put her ladyship down and zip yourself up she doesn't find that funny, do you Helga? No I thought not. Pierre draw my morning bath and layout my clothes, we are going out. Where? to visit a Mr Weaver, and Pierre don't bother wearing gloves. ......

;D
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

B777LR

Quote from: philp on November 23, 2009, 09:48:34 PM

What is zis "Mountain Dew" und "root bier" americans always refer to?

philp

Quote from: B787 on November 25, 2009, 07:33:30 AM

Soda, Pop, soft drink, etc.  Non alcoholic drinks. And not just because I live in Utah.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

B777LR

Quote from: philp on November 25, 2009, 07:54:19 AM
Quote from: B787 on November 25, 2009, 07:33:30 AM

Soda, Pop, soft drink, etc.  Non alcoholic drinks. And not just because I live in Utah.

So Root Beer is actually a non-alcoholic beer?

pyro-manic

Root beer is ginger beer. One of those weird Americanisms. Proper ginger beer is great (works extremely well as a mixer with dark rum, I might add :cheers: ), but Mountain Dew is the stuff of nightmares. I would never imbibe anything that is flourescent yellow! :blink:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Root beer is NOT Ginger Beer! Root beer tastes like antiseptic!

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Funny you should say that, several years ago when McDonalds still bothered to sell it in the UK, I was given one by accident.  On my way out, I happily swigged my coke to find out it tasted like mouthwash!  I explained this to the guy behind the counter & sugested that they may want to flush their pipes out a bit better after the cleaning agent, in return he said, oh, you must have got root beer by accident.  I found it strange that he knew straight away what it was from my description! :o

Probably the closest thing we have to it here in Blighty is dandelion & burdock, although it tastes quite different.  Ginger ale is what is used in mixers, ginger beer has much more of a bite & is a bit to strong to use in other drinks, tends to take over.  On the other hand, ginger ale is a pale imitation of ginger beer when used as a soft drink.  Puts hairs on your chest, as least, that's my excuse!  Love the stuff.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Barry Krell

Quote from: Weaver on November 25, 2009, 10:24:47 AM
Root beer is NOT Ginger Beer! Root beer tastes like antiseptic!

The only time I've had the misfortune to drink it I thought it tasted like distilled Ralgex.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

puddingwrestler

Root beer is known as Sarspirilla in the civilized world.
I know this because I went to school with the son of an Indonesian diplomat who had grown up in America. This lead to some strange habbits, like drinking root beer. He spent five years in Australia trying to find root beer until, about two weeks before his mother's tour of duty (or whatever you call it) ended he found out we called it Sarspirella. Then he had to go back to Indonesia, and now he's in France. Where I suspect such things as root beer are sneered at.

Ginger Beer is a different thing all together.
It is non alcoholic and brewed in a manner similar to beer, but using ginger. The best is made by Bunderberg. This leads to endless fun because they also make Australia's most popular rum (and ads featuring polar bears in unusual situations). So I can tell my students that I drink a lot of bundies, and they think I spend all weekend smashed.
Alcoholic Ginger Beer also exists in two forms: Brewed alco GB, which is brewed to be alcoholic and tastes more like normal beer (ie: something like old socks). Then there is Stone's alco GB; which is normal ginger beer with stone's ginger wine added. This is porbably the best thing to do wiht Stone's ginger wine...

Drunkards of the world unite! Let us express our national alcoholic prejudice in the

...er... possibly by sending alcoholic beverages along with kits. So we can build under the influence.
At which point I should point out that I don't drink. Except Bunderberg Ginger Beer. But as an Australian, I am obliged to give Americans schtick about thier weak beer.
And NO AUSTRALIAN WOULD EVER DRINK FOSTERS!

Thank you. I return you now to your regularly schedualed argument.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.