Found Objects: Hobbycraft eggs on sale

Started by Weaver, November 20, 2009, 04:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

More goodies, this time from Sainsbury's:

Remove the erasers from two of these and stick them together and you have a pretty good robot thigh:

AWACS saucers or anti-grav pads? Your choice:

And lastly and bestly, Mapad's new love of symetry reaches new heights of whiffy goodness:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Now COME ON! If you can't build a rotating spaceship engine out of that then you are definately on the wrong forum.... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

beowulf

Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2011, 06:06:58 PM

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Now COME ON! If you can't build a rotating spaceship engine out of that then you are definately on the wrong forum.... ;)

i look at that and think Robbie the Robot  ;D........................or an interesting nose cone
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Weaver

It'd make a nice fat subsonic radome like a Sea Venom or a Skynight, wouldn't it?

I was mainly thinking of sticking an axle in the side of them (you've even got the hole pre-drilled!) and sticking them on either side of a spaceship as swivelling engines, Firefly-style.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

beowulf

dont know what to do with these  ;D

since im on a new form of medication im gathering these little nasal inhaler jobbies

Weaver

Okay, more stuff!

First up, it being that time of year, Sainsbury's is full of Halloween stuff. I would normally bother, but I thought I'd draw these little critters to your attention, because unlike most bats, they're NOT made of rubber, they're made of HARD PLASTIC and therefore much more usable in models. Pity then that they're only about 4 inches across, but still....

Next up, Hobbycraft are selling these Letraset Promarker double-ended markers off for £1.25 each. What caught my eye is the cap: it's a perfect 1/72nd radome, with no clips, no asymetery, and only a tiny, easily removed lug to spoil it's shape:

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

...and that little lug could be an IR sensor, or something simnilar.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on November 20, 2009, 04:49:25 PM
More useful Whiff fodder, this time from Sainsburys:

The red and purple things are roller stampers, i.e. they have an ink roller in the dome and a stamp in the disc. Main thing from my POV though, is that they have a perfect, moulding "nipple" free, clear dome of 26mm OD -  useful for all sorts of things.  :wub:  The rest of the shape has obvious possibilities too. £2.00 for four.

The small domes are "frosted pearl cabouchons" from the craft range. Again, nice, small opaque domes, suitable as radomes, sensors, etc. £1.00 for a packet of 22.

Good news - these stampers, with their made-to-be-a-spaceship combination of half-clear sphere and matching drum, which disappeared from Sainsbury's over a year ago, have now mysteriously re-appeared in Tescos..... :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

So they obviously have a sufficiently powerfull inertial drive that allows them to cross the space time continium that is the gulf between Tescos and Sainsburys ? No I have no idea what I'm taking about, but it was a good party last night  :cheers:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Well it's "mysterious" in the sense that they were Sainsbury's own brand in Sainsbury's and are now Tesco's own brand in Tesco's.... ;) Convergent evolution, a multi-million pound behind-the-scenes copyright deal, or bit of badge-engineering? You decide, next time you're buying your "premium brand" coffee..... ;D

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Right, got a bit of catching up to do. Firstly, an update:

Quote from: Weaver on September 24, 2011, 10:58:36 AM
Next up, Hobbycraft are selling these Letraset Promarker double-ended markers off for £1.25 each. What caught my eye is the cap: it's a perfect 1/72nd radome, with no clips, no asymetery, and only a tiny, easily removed lug to spoil it's shape:

Fred Aldous are now selling packs of just the caps for these.  :thumbsup:

Now new stuff. I bought some of these a while ago but didn't find time to photograph them, so my apologies, but I've forgotten where some of them came from: most probably Sainsbury's or Tesco's.

First off, some stamper/markers. Good value, with a clear dome, a space-capsule cone, and a "warp pod" in each one, or just use the whole thing as a warp pod:

More markers, this time egg-shaped. I havn't tried it, but what looks eminently possible is to drill a hole in the clear cap then fit it back-to-front, thus giving you a rocket engine with a combustion chamber and nozzle:

Balls, balls I say! Stacking markers, with obvious applications as everything from real-space fuel tanks to walking machine limb-joints:

Spinning tops that provide cone shapes:

Eyeball engineering! Joking aside, these eyeballs from Tesco's are good spheres. They look like they'd split in two with a little persuasion, but the halves are glued, so I havn't tried it yet:

- Indiana Jones

luft46models

No one has mentioned Ventolin or seretide puffers, the front end looks very Liberator from Blakes 7 like, also a yoghurt drink here called yakult has nice rocket pod like containers.

william in Oz

Weaver

I presume the "puffers" are asthma inhalers? If so, then access to them is kinda automatically restricted, but if you can take some pics of them in their raw state then by all means put them up. Our late and much missed contributor HOG was a genius with inhalers:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21410.45.html
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22656.45.html

We get Yakult too, but I've never bought the stuff. You're right through, it definately has potential:

People have noticed it to: http://www.freewebs.com/mattblackgod/industrial.htm

- Indiana Jones

martinbayer

It's also been used for the engine section in the original scratchbuilt design of the Maschinenkrieger Falke http://leosmodels.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/new-project-scratch-built-yakult-jet-engine/, which has now been issued as a kit by Hasegawa.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.