Wellington HG

Started by Eddie M., November 27, 2009, 04:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Eddie M. on November 30, 2009, 04:09:42 PM
You shall forever be known as Saint Mossie to me! Thank you for that information. Was there ever a unit that flew a super secret, hush-hush types of aircraft back then?

The Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) 1918 - 1992:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroplane_and_Armament_Experimental_Establishment

The same folks who later brought us Raspberry Ripple, BTW.

Mossie

Quote from: Eddie M. on November 30, 2009, 04:09:42 PM
You shall forever be known as Saint Mossie to me! Thank you for that information. Was there ever a unit that flew a super secret, hush-hush types of aircraft back then?

You're welcome Eddie! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As well as A&AEE, there was the Royal Aircraft Establishment.  The A&AEE would be more responsible for weapons & systems such as radar & worked almost entirely on military projects.  The RAE were responsible for investigating flight characteristics & had a dual civil & military role.  There was a lot of crossover & both establishments were closely linked, in the testing of prtotypes, both would be involved.  As a type entered service, both establishments might acquire aircraft (often pre-production machines) for further evaluation. 

As the years went on, the roles became more blurred as aircraft became weapons systems themselves, but in your time period it was realtively distinct.   If it was purely experimental , the RAE would probably have continued development, especially considering the unusual configuartion.  If it became operational, the A&AEE would probably take a few to develop new radar or nav systems etc.

There may be differences in the schemes involved.  A&AEE would often have markings that were useful for test purposes.  They tend to have schemes with large bolcks of colour & demarcations for measurement & calibration.  The RAE schemes, such as the Canberra in the middle, tended to be more for high-viz, civil style schemes with trimlines & go-faster or lightning stripes.

I provided quite a few links to pics in this thread, worth a look, if only for some pretty schemes!:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22649.0/highlight,raspberry+ripple.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

noxioux

Now that's a sharp looking bird.  Coming along very nicely :thumbsup:

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

Eddie M.

I need assistance please. I need some photos of the bomb doors open. I think I've seen a small photo and they look segmented. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Belay my last. I found what I was looking for and it's not going to work for the look I'm after...... ;D
Look behind you!

CAO 700

Oh, a mini Type-C Vickers, very good idea! <_<
Beautiful planes are french! (Amiot 143, for example...ugh!)

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

Joe C-P

A beefy-looking plane!
That is some colour.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Wow - that is inspirationally good: well done sir! :thumbsup: :bow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup: jaw dropping goodstuff.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!