Wellington HG

Started by Eddie M., November 27, 2009, 04:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Here's the incarnation of my entry into the HOG GB. ;D I'll be posting futher progress in that thread. :cheers:

Look behind you!

kitnut617

Alright !!!!  I like where this is going Eddie, a pre-design to this:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sequoiaranger

...looks anything BUT!

I always wondered how they would distribute the bombload in the "canard" bombers, since the bomb bay is now nowhere near the wing spar (probably under that "hole" in the top of the fuselage) and "main" wheels to take the weight. It would seem the nosewheel(?) would have to be very strong, as it would have to support roughly half of the bomb weight. May I suggest a double-wheel set of medium-sized tires? Conversely, the "main" wheels would not need to be so big, either since they are now carrying much less than the "normal" Wimpy would. I would go with four of the same size for all LG--maybe some "large" fighter wheels like Hawker Sea Fury or Republic P-47.

Maybe this WimpyWhif could be a Pathfinder, with a relatively "light" load of flares and incendiaries.

Anyway, all practicality aside, it **LOOKS** cool!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitnut617

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 28, 2009, 04:00:20 PM
...looks anything BUT!

I always wondered how they would distribute the bombload in the "canard" bombers, since the bomb bay is now nowhere near the wing spar (probably under that "hole" in the top of the fuselage) and "main" wheels to take the weight. It would seem the nosewheel(?) would have to be very strong, as it would have to support roughly half of the bomb weight. May I suggest a double-wheel set of medium-sized tires? Conversely, the "main" wheels would not need to be so big, either since they are now carrying much less than the "normal" Wimpy would. I would go with four of the same size for all LG--maybe some "large" fighter wheels like Hawker Sea Fury or Republic P-47.

Maybe this WimpyWhif could be a Pathfinder, with a relatively "light" load of flares and incendiaries.

Anyway, all practicality aside, it **LOOKS** cool!

Well they're not really canards SR, they're tandem wings because the front set also provide lift, up to about 40% on the Vickers Type 'C'.  If I may suggest Eddie, the main wing would be better if it was moved forward about an inch and the front wings were found to work better on the real thing set down low near the bottom of the fuselage.  On the Type 'C' the bomb bay was mostly under the main wing.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Eddie M.

Very interesting. I never thought that would have mattered much, but I'll see what I can do.  To move the forward wings down would mean moving the bomb bay aft. No real problem I guess. It never fails. I try to do something simple and and it gets less simple as I go. That's what makes the whiffing world go around. :D  Thanks for all the input. After I get back from the Renaissance Festival tomorrow, it might take on more of a knight influence with maybe a long range capability for jousting! :D
Look behind you!

batmancustoms

John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Eddie M.

I thought about making the changes suggested, but I'm too far along considering the due date to completion. I think it will work out because I was going to do it in Raspberry Ripple, which if I'm not mistaken, is the colors worn by he British test unit, correct?
Look behind you!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Eddie,

Raspberry Ripple didn't come into use until way into the late 60s or early 70s so doing your Wellie in that scheme may be a bit premature. Most trials and prototype aircraft in WWII were normal camo on the top and yellow underneath with a big ringed 'P' in yellow on the fuselage sides.

Now if it had turboprops that may be different............ :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Very neat looking Welly, Eddie !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

buzzbomb

Liking the concept.
Perhaps as a solution to the bomb position/undercart discussion, the forward part of the bomb bay could become the forward undercart and have a layout similar to F-16 type undercarriage with a little beef in them to support the weight

Regardless of the practicalities.. keep going with the build, I am interested to see how it pans out.

Oh.. and I agree that Raspberry Ripple would not be appropriate but a big Yellow P would look cracker.

Mossie

Eddie, to add to what Kit & buzzbomb mentioned, here's pics of the big yellow P scheme; normal camouflage on top, yellow bottoms, some aircraft had the outer wings in yellow too.  Someone here should be able to help you with the yellow P decals.

Now if you wanted to go with a post war scheme pre-dating Rasperry Ripple, you've got much more of a free reign.  Raspberry ripple came in the mid seventies & there were standard schemes that predated that from the mid sixties.  From 1945 to about 1965 schemes were very individual.  Large aircraft often had dayglo (later replaced by flat orange or red as it faded quickly) panels on the extremities over their normal camo, white, grey or silver.  There were other more colourful schemes too, I'll see if I can find any more pics.

Shackleton with orange patches over standard maritime camouflage

Beverley with orange patches over white. This exact aircraft lives around a mile from me, now carrying a different scheme.  It also carried a much more colouful variation on the scheme above, only a description survives but I'll dig it out.

Canberra used for ejection seat trials

Canberra with red markings over white

Javelin, red & white calibration markings
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Eddie M.

You shall forever be known as Saint Mossie to me! Thank you for that information. Was there ever a unit that flew a super secret, hush-hush types of aircraft back then?
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Also, can one of you fine Gentlemen direct me to where I might be able to get a better look at the bomb bay and it's doors?
Look behind you!