BAC Sea Canberra -- Finished

Started by buzzbomb, November 29, 2009, 10:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Sorry guys.. a bit overwhelming this time of year and have not got much done.

However thanks for the great feedback and using some of it as we speak

Firstly here is what I have done

Firstly the kit is short moulded in a lot of spots and some patching work will have to be done

General layout with the new radar nose.. sort of Buccaneer, but actually a 1/48 Skyraider drop tank. Blue Parrot Radar works for me.

Side view showing new profile. I am going back to the normal B1 type canopy, I had an old vacform conversion around to convert the B8 back to a B1 during the absence of the Airfix B1 kit years.

... and finally.. bigger donks! Perhaps Spey's.. maybe Conway's.. but bigger anyway. Cut away the old engines and still using the left over bits of Skyraider Drop Tank new, bigger exhausts and intakes

Next is figuring the undercart and whether to have bomb bay open or not and whether to fit a Red Beard Nuke or just freefall .. then the other bits that need attention.

This part of a build like this is 180 grit time so some much finer finishing still to come.
Now how does anti Flash white/subdued markings grab you for colours.. a bit boring perhaps ??

Cheers Brian T

pyro-manic

Looking good! For a paint scheme, how about a variation on the classic RN camo, but with a twist? Take the Suez-era scheme of Sky with EDSG top surfaces, but replace the Sky with anti-flash white and the anti-flash roundels on the white surfaces? That would look really interesting IMO. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

buzzbomb

Finally got some tool time
Although I am not entirely happy with the way this is going. Some of the fill/contour blending is not playing to the rules and looking a tad ordinary.
We shall see

Here is what I do have
Cockpit, back to side by side seating

Fleshed out the undercarriage bays, bigger beefier gear

General view of the new nose contour. Considering the RN used the Canberra with the Buccaneer nose.. it looks very similar. Maybe that is what is not looking right.. it has been done before. I suppose the wing fold could be a logical extension of that version

Given it a goof coat of primer and now even less impressed.. too many imperfections around joins.  More bog required.

nev

I think its because the nose looks a little aenemic with that tiny radome.  But otherwise its awesome work, and I think you should plough on with it :thumsbup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Very interesting to see the wings folded on this.  Will this build continue on past the GB deadline?  Or can you still get it done by Feb. 01?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

^^^^^
If an extension is required ... some weeks will be no problem. :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Daryl J.

Pointy nosed Canberras.....mmmmm.   :thumbsup:   

:cheers:
Daryl J.

PR19_Kit

The pilot and nav better be VERY friendly with them both jammed together like that.  :lol:

AFAIK the crew of a T4 couldn't eject because the seats were too close together, and they had a goldfish bowl canopy!

Oops, sorry, that should read pilot and OBSERVER, it's an FAA aircraft after all!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Daryl J.

I think the nose had a very 'British' look about it.

Best to you on the PSR.

Daryl J.

buzzbomb

Well.. it is what it is

I didn't quite get the vision my head had, but close.

I went for the standard early mid 60's Dark Sea Grey over white scheme with normal roundels, which fits the era
There serials are actually off a Hercules.. but first in first served in this time line What if.

The wing fold is a variation on the asymetric fold like the Grumman Tracker has.. it does save quite a bit of room

To be sure, to be sure we can throw a fully laden Canberra off.. optional JATO pods

Lengthed Nose gear, a la Phantom (but before of course :lol:) for angle of attack

Closer look at the wing fold layout (and some dodgy painting)

So thanks for the encouragement over the course of this and I will put some shots into the finished thread in a day or two. Because while folks in the Northern Hemisphere are freezing.. we are sweltering down here and it is just to icky to do much

Cheers

Brian T

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Brian, that is seriously IMPRESSIVE!  :cheers: :thumbsup:

Well in the Forum tradition of 'If all else fails Whiff a Canberra' and it works a treat. Nice one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

beowulf

that really works well......bravo  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

sandiego89

very nice, like it very much.  Good choice for paint job.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA