How low can you go?

Started by GTX, November 30, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on February 02, 2010, 05:34:36 AM

Saunders Roe Princess :wub:  Imagine the sound from those ten engines!

Actually it was remarkably quiet just then, even for something that large. I was right there at the time, and not so far from where that pic was taken I think.

I reckon it was throttled back on the approach though, as when the Captain opened up to climb away it was WELL impressive!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: nev on February 01, 2010, 10:49:09 PM
Quote from: Martin H on February 01, 2010, 12:12:00 PM

Apparently the true max altitude for the Lightning is still on the secret list..althou its also claimed that no one realy knows just how high they could go. (there are stories of Lightnings intercepting over flying U-2's....from above)

My dads told me about that in the past - IIRC the trick was to go all ballistic and follow a parabolic flight path, passing the U-2 on the way down :)

most likly Nev.

The one i kept hearing was a NATO exercise over your neck of the woods. The U2 was being warned of incomeing fighters by a nearby E-3. The U-2 pilot reported back that he couldnt see anything below him, only for a British voice to break in...."Look up Yank!" A pair of F-6's were comeing down at fair rate of knots.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: Martin H on February 02, 2010, 01:10:58 PM
The one i kept hearing was a NATO exercise over your neck of the woods. The U2 was being warned of incomeing fighters by a nearby E-3. The U-2 pilot reported back that he couldnt see anything below him, only for a British voice to break in...."Look up Yank!" A pair of F-6's were comeing down at fair rate of knots.

Seems that the USAF was fair game when they were in-bound to the UK, I was reading my copy of 'The Hornet File' (as in de Havilland) sometime ago and there's a number of tales in the book of the RAF Hornet (and Venom) pilots intercepting B-36's and B-50's at great height, by flying head on at them and only breaking away at the last second.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Quote from: nev on January 13, 2010, 10:34:08 PM
They've just photoshopped out the wheels, right....? :blink:

Yep - here's the original:

Sorry - I only just found out. :banghead:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

JJC

KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTX

Speaking of Flankers, how's this for a close call - watch that tail hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6fJMSSl7U

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

Hairy! :o  Trying to work out what happened, wether he was waved off very late (big bollocking for whoever made that call), although he does suddenly seem to loose height very close to the deck.  Testament to the Flanker that it can deal with that angle of attack at that speed too, a lesser aircraft would have pancaked.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

... if the hook HAD caught a wire I hate to think what would have happened! Certainly something would have broke, either on the ship or the aircraft, or both!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 27, 2010, 02:44:34 PM
... if the hook HAD caught a wire I hate to think what would have happened! Certainly something would have broke, either on the ship or the aircraft, or both!

I imagine one of three options:

1.  Aircraft hooked and slammed onto deck - result bad!
2.  Aircraft hooked and rear half ripped off - result bad!
3.  Aircraft arrestor hook and/or arrestor wire damaged severely - result:  pilot gets a radio message saying something to the effect of "well comrade, how do you propose to land now?!" ;D

Regards,

Greg

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Fulcrum

Quote from: Aircav on July 26, 2010, 03:56:46 PM
B-52 and a carrier
I remember a Soviet pilot tried the same thing next to an Essex carrier, only to crash into the Atlantic.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder