Main Menu

How low can you go?

Started by GTX, November 30, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

nev

Is the Phantom one the guy who was on his last flight and decided to "go for it".  I recall he got in trouble, but as he was leaving the mob, only so much they could do.

I have seen a picture, taken at RAF Binbrook in '89 as the flight ops were winding down, of a Lighting doing a touch and go on the apron! :o
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

USAF F-4D

And a Greek "E"

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Spey_Phantom

this is how WE do it, "Belgian Air Force"-style  ;D

Alpha Jet,
watch the last aircraft fly by, that is really low  :mellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLplPe-_2k

Airbus A310
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrYjWsqBaJY

F-16AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNVDkH5AZ4
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Always enjoyed that Alpha Jet sequence, one of my fave's. Never seen that F-16 footage before. And as for that low-level F-4D.... think I just died and went to Phantom Heaven !!

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 01, 2010, 12:49:30 AM
And as for that low-level F-4D.... think I just died and went to Phantom Heaven !!

If he'd got any lower with that starboard wingtip that's probably where he'd be too........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

Sir Sydney Camm

Spey_Phantom

i dont know if someone posted this already, but hereare some low German F-4F's  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxOh7SGSIQQ
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

pyro-manic

That 747 one was good. I remember at the Kemble airshow a few years ago, the RNZAF had a 757 doing a demo, and it pulled into a very hard right turn immediately after clearing the runway on takeoff. Very impressive seeing something so large pulling a turn like that.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Martin H

Quote from: nev on January 29, 2010, 12:21:11 AM
Is the Phantom one the guy who was on his last flight and decided to "go for it".  I recall he got in trouble, but as he was leaving the mob, only so much they could do.

Yep thats the one, Even thou he was on his last day, they could have court marshaled him. But most likley bribed the St Athan station commander with a few bottles of single malt to forget about it.

Quote from: nev on January 29, 2010, 12:21:11 AM
I have seen a picture, taken at RAF Binbrook in '89 as the flight ops were winding down, of a Lighting doing a touch and go on the apron! :o

Oh that became quite a frequent event in the last days of the Lightning force. The pilots were basicly told to go out and play, and find out what the Lightning could realy do. And it didnt matter if they bent a few in the process.
Apparently the true max altitude for the Lightning is still on the secret list..althou its also claimed that no one realy knows just how high they could go. (there are stories of Lightnings intercepting over flying U-2's....from above)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on February 01, 2010, 12:12:00 PM
(there are stories of Lightnings intercepting over flying U-2's....from above)

I know Meteors that could do that...........  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nev

Quote from: Martin H on February 01, 2010, 12:12:00 PM

Apparently the true max altitude for the Lightning is still on the secret list..althou its also claimed that no one realy knows just how high they could go. (there are stories of Lightnings intercepting over flying U-2's....from above)

My dads told me about that in the past - IIRC the trick was to go all ballistic and follow a parabolic flight path, passing the U-2 on the way down :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

A few unusual types doing low flying shenanigans from Airliners.net:

A310 ATP Air Portugal

An-30 Russian Air Force

Preserved B-17G

Preserved P-51D

Piper Pawnees crop dusting

Saunders Roe Princess :wub:  Imagine the sound from those ten engines!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Some more:

737 Aerolineas Argentinas final flight

Canadair CL-44 Aer Turas

Fokker F-27 Troopship KLu

Tornado GR.4 RAF, kind of a normal day at the office for these guys....

Tornado F.3 RAF  ....but not so much for the F.3, more used to being high in the clouds.  This is in the Machynlleth loop (known as Mach loop) that features in Kits link.  The F.3 is passing a mountainside & this is taken from above the aircraft.  You can even see the back seater reading his map!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.