Main Menu

How low can you go?

Started by GTX, November 30, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

reminds me of a joke from waaaaay back  ;D

on the eve of Desert Storm an USAF General gathers his Colonels for a briefing

'Its important that we only hit military targets.....we dont want any civilian casualties.........so i want you to be sure that you hit your targets by getting lower than you have ever flown before'

1st Colonel stands up:-  'General.......to ensure we hit the targets will fly no higher than 150 feet....even tho we know it will be dangerous'

General:......'good man........thats the spirit i like to hear......not only will i be proud of you, your president will be proud of you'

2nd Colonel stands up: 'General.......to ensure we hit the targets will fly no higher than 100 feet....even tho we know it will be dangerous'

General:- .......'good man........thats the spirit i like to hear......not only will i be proud of you, your president will be proud of you and your country will be proud of you'

3rd Colonel stands up........'General.......to ensure we hit the targets will fly no higher than 50 feet....even tho we know it will be dangerous'

General :-........'No!.....i absolutly forbid it!.........far too dangerous!......................and besides, you will just be getting in the way of the RAF'

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

JayBee

A true story, told to me by the late Allan Hall of Airfix Mag. fame.

He had been, as a member of the press corps, at the annual military games in the Otterburn ranges in the border lands between Scotland and England.
They saw a Jaguar skimming along at tree top height over a Forestry Commision plantation, when it got to the edge of the forest the other three Jaguars in the flight appeared out of the fire break :blink:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Love that one JayBee, I can just hear Alan growling out that tale.  ;D

Another one from the early 70s. Some of us from the Trent IPMS, now defunct, went down to the USAF Armed Forces Day at Upper Heyford, guided by me to the best viewing spots as I used to live there about 15 years beforehand. One of the display flights attending were the Belgian AF Slivers, a pair of totally unhinged F-104 pilots who seemed totally unaware that their aircraft were physically incapable of some the manouvres they were putting them through!

One of these manouvres was an opposition pass from both ends of the runway with the upper aircraft inverted and the lower one right way up, all of this at about M 0.9 and trailing smoke, not to mention that amazing J-79 howl that only F-104s seemed to produce. This was all very well but it ignored the fact that Heyford has a fairly large bump in the middle of the field between the crowd line and the runway.

When they did their high speed pass the upper aircraft was in full view, albeit upside down, but all you could see of the lower one was the top 2 ft of the fin and tailplane, seemingly scudding across the grass at 600 kts plus with no visible means of their propulsion!!!!  :lol: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

I thought this had already been posted but can't seem to find it:

Video

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Gondor

That's one way to clean the tires  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

TsrJoe

waw that is totally insane, i thought the pic must have been photoshopped til i saw the video link... mad  :blink:

:bow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

rallymodeller

This contest is over. Really can't get much lower than that.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Fulcrum

Quote from: rallymodeller on August 12, 2011, 04:33:52 PM
Unless you want to go lower, but it will be the last thing you will ever do.

Though you would not be the first to go into the ground(& definitely not the last).

Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Gondor

Theoretically you can go lower than the picture where they are washing the wheels. If you have a high winged aircraft such as the F 27 in the above post you could fly so low that you could not put the undercarriage down.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

Quote from: rallymodeller on August 12, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

Still a way to go yet! :wacko:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2011, 12:53:15 PM<...> a pair of totally unhinged F-104 pilots <...>  all you could see of the lower one was the top 2 ft of the fin and tailplane, seemingly scudding across the grass at 600 kts plus with no visible means of their propulsion!!!!  :lol: ;D

When picturing this before my mind's eye, my mind instinctively added the soundtrack of "Jaws". :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Mossie

Quote from: Project D on August 27, 2011, 04:03:17 AM
How about low and close  :wacko: at about 23 seconds in  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjisKIwq9E&feature=related

Excellent flyby from the Delfin, you even get to here the blue note!  And shows why Harriers should never land conventionally.... :blink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.