Main Menu

How low can you go?

Started by GTX, November 30, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 02, 2015, 06:33:55 PM
Not super low, but low enough. Prototype Shackleton, Farnborough, 1951.

He did it again next time around, but on only one engine.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That prototype Shackleton is the nicest looking of a pretty ungainly bunch IMHO
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Considering the poster's name is 'Enrico Villani' I guess it's an Italian Tonka. If he was in RAF he wouldn't have been for much longer!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Reminds me of stories from Davis Monthan AFB in Arizona were an A-10 came back from the range with the fiberglass wing tip missing
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Rheged

Perhaps someone else here can confirm that during some earlier Red Flag exercises, Buccaneers returned  to base with sundry items of desert foliage appended, and that at least one Vulcan did something reprehensible to a power/phone line
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Something different, but I've got a book on water bombers that shows a DC-6? (from memory, I'll have to dig out the book) with a bit of tree embedded in the wing and the engine stuffed full of pine needles.

The tree was a seed tree that had been left to reseed a clearing and was the only one for tens of miles.  :o
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on April 08, 2017, 12:08:32 PM
Perhaps someone else here can confirm that during some earlier Red Flag exercises, Buccaneers returned  to base with sundry items of desert foliage appended, and that at least one Vulcan did something reprehensible to a power/phone line

I know that one Vulcan on the way to Red Flag flew down the Grand Canyon for a laugh, then when they walked into the briefing room at Nellis, the first thing they saw was a giant map on the wall with the whole of the Grand Canyon boxed off in red as a no-fly zone...  :rolleyes: :-X

My friend John got a bollocking for low flying as he was walking away from his Vampire, and when he tried to deny it, the Squadron Leader walked past him and pulled a chunk of shrubbery out of his nose gear bay...  :mellow: :o

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 12, 2017, 01:59:03 AM

I know that one Vulcan on the way to Red Flag flew down the Grand Canyon for a laugh, then when they walked into the briefing room at Nellis, the first thing they saw was a giant map on the wall with the whole of the Grand Canyon boxed off in red as a no-fly zone...  :rolleyes: :-X

IIRC that was Martin Withers flying the aircraft, him of 'Black Buck' fame and the main pilot of '558 in recent years.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: Mossie on April 11, 2017, 11:58:25 PM
Something different, but I've got a book on water bombers that shows a DC-6? (from memory, I'll have to dig out the book) with a bit of tree embedded in the wing and the engine stuffed full of pine needles.

The tree was a seed tree that had been left to reseed a clearing and was the only one for tens of miles.  :o

I tried to find a pic online of that incident.  I didn't, but found a story about a transfer flight of T-28's from Morocco to Honduras where they got a little low while sightseeing and took a bit of Canadian shrubbery with them.  Nice story of bush flying, battered old aircraft with scabbed on tanks from a Vampire and Meteor with what looks suspiciously like duct tape, an old Renault being used a target took, engine fire on a DH Dove:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71565
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

What a great article the photos are phenomenal ! Thanks !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Your welcome, lucky find.  I think they'd make great models, it'd be fun explaining the Meteor and Vampire tanks to headscratching at a show.

reddfoxx

Great shots and stories in this thread!

Reminded me of some pix on the webpage of a pilot whose A-1 I did a model of.  Flew in the Armee de l'Air and the Gabonese Air Force.