PWs Pernicious Project

Started by puddingwrestler, December 02, 2009, 03:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 03, 2009, 01:23:58 PM
Quote from: Weaver on December 03, 2009, 02:18:16 AM
No matter: 3" and 5" RPs were valuable anti-ship weapons, so imagine what one of these 8"+ weapons would do..... :wacko:

Depends on the target, as it was a thin-shelled blast weapon rather than armour-piercing.

Jon

Well since we're talking about a navalized 262 here, I think we can stretch our disbelief a tad further to accomodate AP warheads for the rockets.

Wasn't it based on a Nebelwerfer-style land weapon that also had a napalm warhead? That would be nasty against a civilian ship with limited damage control......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 04, 2009, 02:29:09 AM

I've also managed to forget to weight the nose. Again. This is why I so rarely build planes with nose wheels.
I'm stuffing the drop tanks full of lead weights to compensate, but I really wish model companies would indicate the need to weight the nose on the instruction sheets...

Drill out the gun ports, take some fine lead solder wire........... :wacko:

Semi-serious suggestion: fit a small tail wheel and pose it on a section of catapult with it's nose wheel held up in the air by the cable system in order to give more AoA for take-off. RN Buccaneers used to do this for real.

Serious suggestion: drill the bottom of the nosewheel for a wire and then use that to hold it down to a display base.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

GTX

If you can get a hold of John Baxter's Tragerflotten books, there are some Carrier based, folding wing Me-262s in them:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

puddingwrestler

After due consideration and cogitation, I've decided to mount the 262 on a base, and load it with bombs (which also came in the kit, but are spare parts - I think they are for a different version).
The base consists of one of those clear CD things they stick ontop of stack of CD-Rs and a 1mm sheet of plasticard over that with decking scribed on. I have no idea how widely spaced decking should be, but I figured on planks being about 6 inches across which meant about 2mm in 1/72. Not fancying that much scribing, I went with 3mm spacing to save time. And did it wonky.

PW: Could not even be a JMN if he tried.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

pyro-manic

Heheh. Maybe the builders accidentally used un-seasoned wood in their rush to complete the vessel, which then warped in the tropical sun? :D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

puddingwrestler

It's pretty hard to see the scribing in this pic, but this is where I am up to. The wings have been installed, the landing gear are on, but the landing bay doors are not on yet. You can't see it, but the HB cockpit was pretty basic with no joy stick at all, so I fitted a spare stick from a Hellcat. Nothing is attached to the base yet, and the paint pot is holding it up.

Green Dragon

Looking great Pudding Wrestler! The 262 did have some rocket assisted take off gear, two slim tube shaped rockets could be fitted under the rear fuselage just behind the main gear bay. They looked kind of like pipe bombs.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on December 04, 2009, 04:14:31 AM

Well since we're talking about a navalized 262 here, I think we can stretch our disbelief a tad further to accomodate AP warheads for the rockets.

Wasn't it based on a Nebelwerfer-style land weapon that also had a napalm warhead? That would be nasty against a civilian ship with limited damage control......

Basically 'twas a Nebelwerfer round which came in HE, smoke and gas varieties.

As to an AP round, probably best with a much smaller diameter penetrator behind a
ballistic cap that maintains the standard outer dimensions.

There are of course important reasons for positing a design of that sort:
1) the need to keep the weight down and retain known flight performance;
2) makes it easier for the willing whiffer to use the standard kit parts.  ;D

Also it would definitely be a point-blank weapon.

Jon

GTX

One from John Baxter's books for inspiration:

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 05, 2009, 12:04:09 AM
Quote from: Weaver on December 04, 2009, 04:14:31 AM

Basically 'twas a Nebelwerfer round which came in HE, smoke and gas varieties.

As to an AP round, probably best with a much smaller diameter penetrator behind a
ballistic cap that maintains the standard outer dimensions.

There are of course important reasons for positing a design of that sort:
1) the need to keep the weight down and retain known flight performance;
2) makes it easier for the willing whiffer to use the standard kit parts.  ;D

Also it would definitely be a point-blank weapon.

Jon

As an alternative, it could be a shaped charge.

Or, maybe it isn't an anti-ship weapon: maybe it's for ground attack, or for taking out those damned shadowing Sunderlands.

Of course, it being a whiff, it could also be a completely different rocket in a similar-looking tube...... ;D

- Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

errr.... guys? I fitted bombs.

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 05, 2009, 01:30:34 PM
errr.... guys? I fitted bombs.

Well now you're just being awkward.......;)

- Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Gah. The project I intended to be done quickly is starting to take forever. Mostly because the wings are delicate. I dropped it and they fell off, so I stuck them back on, then the starboard wing fell off during painting, so I am rebuilding the hinge on that side...
I'm using one of the paint schemes from the kit instructions, but replacing the greens and browns with shades of blue.

Green Dragon

Hi PW, I've not done too many models with folded wings but the few I did (except the first one! :banghead: ) had the wings left off until all painting and decalling was finished.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

puddingwrestler

I think I may be the victim of a giant international conspiracy... first the wings keep falling off... then the landing wheel comes off... then I realise I've either lost or run out of all the pastels I usually use to weather...
So I shall buy more on the way home from work and finish it tonight. And also post pics of what I did last night instead of weathering it... actually, it's kinda a good thing that happened, or I might never have experimented with Tamiya acrylics on Reaper miniatures... I've found some nifty paint combos now.