Main Menu

Martian Diorama

Started by trekriffic, December 08, 2009, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekriffic

After nearly 2 years of work this diorama is finally done ! Nearly 50 lbs of plywood, ceramic tile, and sand comprise this piece.

The scene depicts an emergency landing by the TWA Mars Liner "Solar Flare" in the deserts of Mars south of the Olmpus Mons escarpment which rises to a height of almost 4 miles in the distance:

Nearby stands the atomic powered MARRV (Mars Advanced Rapid Response Vehicle) patrol and rescue ship piloted by the legendary space ace, Captain Horatio Barnes:

The MARRV, using it's new magnetic grappler, has just towed the "Solar Flare" safely away from certain disaster in the asteroid belt after a fried circuit board disabled her guidance system  As Barnes exits his ship and readies the portable gamma welder for repair of some minor hull damage, the other captain approaches:

"Thanks for saving the day... AGAIN !" comments Major John "Jack" Mason as he nears "But your grappler dented my ship !" Jack points to the small hole and dimple in the side of the liner. Barnes is mildly amused but says nothing as he flips the power switch on the welder which quickly hums to life; although in the thin atmoshere of Mars, no one can actually hear it. Smiling, he shakes his head as he glances up at TWA's most experienced pilot. "Oh now you know that that wasn't me Jack. Remember that pesky little asteroid I blasted with my laser cannon as it tried to put a hole in your ship ? You must've caught a fragment from the explosion. But don't worry, she'll be good as new when I'm done." Minutes later, true to his word, he seals the hull breach with the finely tuned beam of the welder

Meanwhile, co-pilot Anna Voltaire descends the ladder from the spaceliner with a tool box for Captain's Barnes return flight. Inside she's packed a few snacks from the ship's galley as a gesture of thanks for a job well done. As she steps off onto the fine sands of Mars her gaze is transfixed by the grandeur of Olympus Mons looming majestically in the distance

"Amazing" she whispers "How beautiful it is out here...really, it takes your breath away..."

beowulf

truely awesome..............superb work
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Ed S

Beautiful.  Most impressive.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

tanktastic43

Brilliant. Well done.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

nev

THats awesome.  Got a real 50s sci-fi feel to it as well :wub:

Right, I'm off to the whiffies.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Maverick

Seriously nice,

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

I love the look of these "retro" sci fi models and dioramas - great work  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

Fantastic! The work you put into it really shows.  :thumbsup:

chrisonord

Wow, this is absolutely brilliant :wub:
I would love to have the room let alone the expertise to build something like this, and yes it does deserve a whiffie!! :thumbsup:
Cheers
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

That's stunning!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

It really gels in the photos too: the lighting and backdrop are spot on.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

:wub:  :thumbsup: Beautifully done. I liked the models when you completed them, but the diorama really sets them off!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

jcf

Nice. Very reminiscent of Bonestell.

Brian da Basher

Very well done and one impressive introduction too!

Welcome to they asylum, trekrific! You've already got me looking forward to seeing your next project!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!