Main Menu

Figure GB anyone?

Started by puddingwrestler, December 08, 2009, 11:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Quote from: philp on December 09, 2009, 05:00:37 PM
I think it is a great idea, even if it is run as an "Unofficial" GB.  The Figure category is one that is lacking for the Whiffies this year (and may not be on the final list) but something like this can make sure it shows up next year.
Ah, but you have no idea how many wargames minis I can turn out by the end of the month!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

philp

I am sure you can and there are a couple others out there so maybe we can leave it in.

I have a set of Star Trek figures in 25-28mm called The Away Team and has a figure of Worf along with several other Federation personnel (I am sure some of them could be Red Shirts).  I keep debating on whether to try painting some of these up or selling the set off.  Not that I have much skill with small scale figs (or large for that matter).  Only ever finished two larger ones (see below).  Have a couple large scale Catwomen to do some time also.

Spidey mounted on a mirror/window

And my Moo-rine.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

buzzbomb

Quote from: Overkiller on December 09, 2009, 11:23:39 PM

I've eyed up the 1/16 Tamiya Modern US Army Soldier kits a few times, been tempted to get a few, and maybe try turning one into a Colonial Marine out of "Aliens".

:cheers:

Duncan

Like this ?

It's a 1/35 figure by Phebus in France..picked up a few at Telford a few years ago

Taiidantomcat

I really think this is an idea that we need to pursue, even if its unofficial. We could set a lose start date and just post right in the Current projects, Figures/Cars child boards...as it stands right now there is only ONE figure in the entire child board.  A figure can be assembled in an afternoon and allows modelers with short attention spans (yours truly) to get to the fun of finishing.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Damn, I'd be tempted to dust off some of the unfinished figures I have in stash to work on for the figure GB...  Granted, some of the newer Tyranid stuff I find really appealing too.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Here's a thought: could you do an animal? It'd be an outlet for some of those dinosaur or natural history kits.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

ISTR Alvis did some Nazi dinosaurs - even sent them to Martin to display at Telford a few years ago.  Someone somewhere is bound to have pics.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sauragnmon

I'm being of late drawn into the new releases for the Warhammer 40K Tyranid army, so likely if we do the GB I'd either be ordering one to work on for this, or else I'd be dusting off Guard or Eldar to see what I could whip up.  Maybe some Tau, not sure if I have any unbuilt Tau right now.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Okay, inspired by this discussion, I have picked up the following from ebay:

MiniArt 1/16th 1st Cent.AD. Roman Legionary
MiniArt 1/16th XVII Cent. Netherlands Musketeer
Bag of misc 1/16th modernish accessories

Might be a "modern" Roman, might be a XVII Roman Musketeer. Don't know yet, because the Musketeer box had completely the wrong sprues in it, so it has to go back for an exchange....

The MiniArt figures look to be good quality and are a steal at under a tenner compared to other big-scale figures. Modernising the Roman is an obvious move, since his helmet can be made modern-looking and his armour looks more contemporary now than it would have done 20 years ago (if painted cammo, of course). What wouldn't pass would be the bare legs and sandals, so I figured the Musketeer could donate his trousered legs and boots. I'd have preferred really modern trousers and boots, but there's little choice and I didn't know how other kits broke down (MiniArt have a pic of every sprue in every kit on their site). The Musketeer's troos can be dressed up with patch pockets and his boots can be made into realistic(ish) jackboots, since they're not as flamboyant as some other Musketeer boots and some features can be left off. There's not much choice of modern accessories either, since almost everything is WWII German, Verlinden, resin and expensive. Still who's to say what a "modern" Roman would wear anyway huh?

Basic idea for the Modern Roman is:

Helmet rear "skirt" discarded and replaced with helmet "peak", covered goggles on front of helmet

Radio backpack, throat mic and earphones (possible using original hemet flaps) to emphasise "high tech" image,

Mashup of PPSh and MP40 SMGs to produce something akin to a 1940s Berretta SMG,

MP40 Mag pouches with the bottom ends cut into points,

Red-Brown shirt, brown boots, stone trousers, desert cammo armour and helmet: "echoes" traditional Roman colours but updated.

The other thing that occurs to me is to simply add the Musketeer arms, weapon and gear to the Roman, thereby making him a Roman Musketeer. This would avoid the accessories problem, but I'm not yet sure if it's feasible, since I havn't had a chance to play with the proper Musketeer sprues yet (see above)...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

philp

I like it.  Will be looking forward to see how this goes.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

Same here Weaver cant wait to see pics  :wacko: I thought about doing the same thing..but your details are much better thought out  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

Don't hold your breath folks: unless the GB gets up and running, this one's WAY down the build list.

- Indiana Jones