Canadian Combo Interceptor Query

Started by Cobra, December 15, 2009, 09:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, While doing some Reading, i got Inspired!!!!!! What If Avro Canada had Combined the CF-100 & the CF-105 to Create a 'Super Interceptor'?????????? just something i've wondered about. Thought i'd pose the Q to those from the Great White North!!!!! No Offense Meant. Thanks For Looking. Dan

Silver Fox

I can't imagine anything from the Clunk that the Arrow could use... or didn't already have. A bubble canopy would be nice, but probably would have eventually have been installed had the Arrow gone beyond the Mk 2.

elmayerle

I can't imagine much of a common ground there for a combination.  I *could* see an improved CF-100 (with regard to avionics, engines, weapons, etc.) serving as a supplement to the CF-105, sort of a second line of defense as the high-speed, long-range interceptor serves as the first line.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kitnut617

In one of the CF-105 books I have, the leading chapter goes into detail on how the CF-105 evoloved.  There's some nice photos of the swept wing CF-100 mock-up in this chapter which might be useful to your project.  But as others have already said there's not a lot which you could carry over from the two aircraft.

My idea of a Super Interceptor would be to make the Mach 3 CF-105, maybe like this:  http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20873.30.html
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Wasn't there a CF-103 swept-wing-Clunk proposed, which was canned in favour of the -105 because it would have been obsolete by the time it was built?

If they wern't going as far as the CF-105, you could maybe see Avro taking the view that if the CF-103 wasn't fast enough, what they really needed was a delta-Clunk with afterburners on the end of extended jetpipes, a delta wing and a T-tail. The result would be a bit like a Canadian Javelin (but hopefully with a thinner wing).

LOL - crossed posts with Kitnut..... ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

elmayerle

Perhaps a "Delta-Clunk" along the lines of Northrop's "Delta-Scorpion" studies?

Weaver

Do you think it would be possible to fit variable cones and thin lips to the exisiting intakes, or would the proximity of the fuselage cause problematic shockwave interactions?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sideshowbob9

Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2009, 04:27:07 AM
Wasn't there a CF-103 swept-wing-Clunk proposed, which was canned in favour of the -105 because it would have been obsolete by the time it was built?

If they wern't going as far as the CF-105, you could maybe see Avro taking the view that if the CF-103 wasn't fast enough, what they really needed was a delta-Clunk with afterburners on the end of extended jetpipes, a delta wing and a T-tail. The result would be a bit like a Canadian Javelin (but hopefully with a thinner wing).

I was going to do it the other way round and do a Javelin with the Clunk's plank wings! I'll be watching this thread with interest as I will soon have a wingless Clunk to play with!  ;D

jcf

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on December 16, 2009, 07:34:30 AM

I was going to do it the other way round and do a Javelin with the Clunk's plank wings! I'll be watching this thread with interest as I will soon have a wingless Clunk to play with!  ;D

You may want to look at this thread:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16717.0/highlight,gloster+glut.html

Cheers

Silver Fox

Backflowing some Arrow innovations into an improved Clunk could produce a valuable export fighter.

Give the Clunk the CF-103 airframe mods, Arrow avionics and an improved weapons system. Perhaps replace the gunpack with an M-61 Vulcan cannon? If Canada has the Arrow... who might be a customer for the Super Clunk? Perhaps Belgium to replace it's CF-100s? Who else can't afford a supersonic interceptor but needs the best of the previous generation?

elmayerle

One idea would be an Arrow or other high-speed interceptor as a QRI aircraft with an improved Clunk serving more as a radar and missile platform (similar mode to F6D-1) to backstop the first defensive line.  I can just see a clunk with turbofan engines and ealge or Phoenix missiles under the wing.

Silver Fox

I've been thinking about how the 'Canada in Vietnam' CF-100 Mk 6 or Mk 7 might look after being modernized.

Turbofans, new avionics and cockpits, Vulcan cannon instead of the 50's, refueling probe and maybe the Mk 6 carrying an electro-optical turret. Range with modern turbofans would be very impressive!

elmayerle

I've been thinking, a turbofan Clunk would be a challenge.  If you do a turbofan version of the Orenda engine, it'll have to be an aft fan design like GE's CF700 since the Orenda is a single-spool turbojet and that doesn't give you the adaptability that a twin-spool set-up does (granted, it doesn't give you the size and weight, either).  Now a scaled-down Iroquois used as the basis for a turbofan is a possibility, but it's adding a whole lot more development effort.  'Twould be interesting to see what choices Avro Canada would make there.

Silver Fox

Why not a standard turbofan layout?

Fan section up front and the turbine section exhaust through a tailpipe extension like the Sabre and T-Bird used.

To model it, cut the front off the existing nacelles and graft on the fan section.

upnorth

Quote from: Silver Fox on December 16, 2009, 11:55:41 AM
Backflowing some Arrow innovations into an improved Clunk could produce a valuable export fighter.

Give the Clunk the CF-103 airframe mods, Arrow avionics and an improved weapons system. Perhaps replace the gunpack with an M-61 Vulcan cannon? If Canada has the Arrow... who might be a customer for the Super Clunk? Perhaps Belgium to replace it's CF-100s? Who else can't afford a supersonic interceptor but needs the best of the previous generation?

I think better, and more likely as a replacement for the 8 guns in the bay than the M61, would be a pair of 30mm Aden cannons or possibly a quad of 20mm ones.

How much of the Arrow's avionics could be crammed into a Clunk is another matter on it's own.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/