Italeri 1/72 A-7D "Sluf", VMA-323, F4U livery

Started by srkirad, December 18, 2009, 12:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkirad

Thanks for kind words guys - at the moment Sluf is "resting" - I want Future coat to dry thoroughly in order to apply wash...

In the meantime, I'm thinking about wash shade - probably it will be mixture of black, raw umbra and a grain of prussian blue - I don't want this bird to have "rusty" wash but rather dark one... so, we'll see how it will turn out eventually ;)

Dot filter should blend markings and faded camouflage a bit, so can't wait to try out this technique! ;)

Also, I have to prepare weapons - some bombs needed puttying, so I got bored a bit :P (I hate puttying)
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I LUV this, just superb, and so well done  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

wolfik

allways liked the sluff in this role...
but...buddy...the USAF refuelling system on a Marines workhorse?... :blink:
looks very good nevertheless!! :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

srkirad

thanks once again guys! ;)

Quote from: wolfik on July 23, 2010, 04:15:23 AM
but...buddy...the USAF refuelling system on a Marines workhorse?... :blink:

well, this is what-if anyway, so we can say that "Marines aquired this old USAF A-7D, refurbished it and gave it this special livery" ... and the reason why I didn't play with refueling probe was that this kit was D version, so I didn't have sprue with refueling probe for NAVY version ;) and Marines' aviation is also based on land, so they take off from land based airports, and USAF refueling system would be good enough? :)

(and it also gives some what-if spicing to the finished model)

I already applied the wash (mixture of artistic oils - black, raw umbra, prussian blue and a bit of white), and recoated the kit with Future - now we're ready for dot filtering, but I'll wait until tomorrow for Future to dry thoroughly!

In the meantime, a friend of mine made resin copies of Hobby Boss A-7D front wheels (Italeri ones are really awful!) for me, so I'll get on sanding and priming of them, and also of armament, so, keep in touch, new photos in following days ;)

See you soon,
Srdjan
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
www.maketarskikutak.com

Geoff

srkirad

"As a mark of VMA-323 Unit's 67th anniversary (August 1943. - August 2010.) USAF gifted Marines this, specially "retro" livered and armed A-7D. This one will be used as a "simulator" for young nowadays pilots - a simulator for "how to use old weapons". This is why this A-7 is armed with bazookas, H.V.A.R. rockets, freefalling bombs from WW2 and P-47D fuel tanks..."

After this small intro, dear "whatif modelling" friends and coleagues, I would like to represent you my A-7D as a FINISHED model...finally!

I weathered the model with MIG pigments and Tamiya weathering sets....

Here are the photos:

and here are ther details...

Eduard etched rear-view mirrors...

Headlights on nose landing gear leg are made from Kristal Klear, while wheels are copies of those from Hobby Boss kit!

Retro armament :)

details of heavy weathering

Tail light made from Kristal Klear...

Exhaust fan etched part...

Detail of weathering on rear part...

Rear-view mirrors and detail of finished cockpit...

I hope you like this final look :)

Please do make comments and/or critiques, so we can all learn from it ;)

Thanks for reading,
Srdjan
www.maketarskikutak.com

Taiidantomcat

I love it! The old school ordnance is superb and really sets it off! The rockets on the fuselage sides are my favorite! I am currnetly working on a WWII Tomcat and was kicking around how I should arm it, your way is the way to go!

Great build! Thanks for letting us tag along!   :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Looks great Srdjan!!!  Like Taidan, I love the loadout you've got there! ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Ed S

Nicely done.  I like the retro finish & marking and weapons.  Great idea.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

srkirad

thanks guys, I'm glad you like it ;)

Now I'm gonna cool down a bit with some real word projects, started so long ago, but also with some "birthday present models" for my friends :) so, I'm still in "modelling waters" until inspiration for next what-if arrives ;)

(and maybe next one is predeccessor of this one - F4U in modern markings!  :rolleyes:)

Cheers,
Srdjan
www.maketarskikutak.com