Trumpeter

Started by Deino, October 25, 2006, 02:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 31, 2008, 10:37:17 AM
Is this better than the Revell new tool?

Revell new tool??  Are you referring to the recent Revell release?  If so it's not new, it's the old Hase kit with nice decals and a ridiculous price.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

ysi_maniac

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 31, 2008, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 31, 2008, 10:37:17 AM
Is this better than the Revell new tool?

Revell new tool??  Are you referring to the recent Revell release?  If so it's not new, it's the old Hase kit with nice decals and a ridiculous price.

Oh, my fault :banghead: :banghead:
Will die without understanding this world.

Hobbes

I dunno. The CAD drawings seem off to me, look at the intake (too small) and exhausts (parts inside the exhaust tube that I don't remember seeing on real Lightnings).

Aircav

Seems Trump is going to do a 1/32 Fairey Swordfish  :bow: :thumbsup: ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

I hate to to say this, because its not the kind of thing I do, and I know its only CAD drawings, but that nose doesn't look right at all - far too thin, looks more like Mig-21 than a Lightning :(
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Crossing fingers, toes and all wiggly parts that Trump will eventually make the Lightning in old-man scales too.

Wooksta has it all wrong (must rain a lot wherever he goes).  The F-6 is the BEST Lightning variant with the big belly----reminds me of a big, predatory cat after a successful hunt.  If the intake is "wrong" I call it a perfect What If (mine will end up whiffed with delta wings or three engines, anyhow).  Dull markings?  No such thing, in the hands of a creative modeler.   :thumbsup:

It's funny, I keep trying to convince my wife not to worry as fewer and fewer new models are being made these days due to the high cost of tooling but she looks up every time Deino makes a Trumpeter post and I yelp with anticipation.

Thank you for having the nards to pump out all this new stuff, Trumpeter!  Nay-sayers are just people who don't like as many options on any menu and wind up going home hungry. 
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

It just occurred to me that a 1/72 scale Lightning would be a perfect candidate for biplaning!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one in 1/72 scale.

Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

I agree that the intake looks like a Mig-21, but really only in the closeup.  In the other pic it looks better, so hopefully it's just that pic.  My fingers are crossed that this will be a nice little kit (I dont even mind the infamous Trumpeter rivets).  My only complaint will likey be the price, but if Academy bring theirs out at close to the price for their F-8 then maybe Trumpeter will respond to the competition.

Geoff

I prefer the colour schemes of the earlier Lightnings too - especially the F-1A's and F-2's.

kitnut617

Some time ago I built the Airfix 1/72 F.3 and painted it following what was on the instruction sheet which turned out to be two tones of grey with silver undersides.  The two greys were so close in colour that I thought something must be wrong, when I gloss coated before decals the two greys were almost indistinguishable.  So I looked on the internet and the closest I could find was this photo so I changed one of the greys to match.  But I don't think this is right either, what's your opinion Lee?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

As you can see here I used the colours as shown, but I didn't have a conversion chart for the M colours when I built this so used what was shown.  I've just found a conversion chart which converts the old Airfix colour codes to the new Humbrol equivalents and I see there's a conflict, 125(Satin US Dark Grey)/M2 which equals 27 (Matt Sea Grey), then 123(XDSG) / M17 which equals 117 (Matt US Light Green)  I think there's a problem here too don't you think,US Light Green?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

That Lightning in the instructions looks like something JHM would do!  :lol:

Anyhoo...discussion here of the Typhoon, Lightning, and Swordfish sprues on display at the US Nats:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1218055880/News+from+The+2008+Nats

Gary

Ok, I got a present from a friend, the 72 Trumpy Su-15Tm Flagon F. A nice kit in all measures really except one HUGE glaring pain in the %$#@!!!
Why they would go through the process of making this kit as beautiful as it is and have no control panel to speak of boggles my pea sized mind. Nope, no decal, no raised or recessed surface on the panel part, nothing. Just a delightfully shaped tantalizing part with the instruction to paint the fecking thing black. WHAT!

Worse still, I searched everything I know of to find an photoetch part. Nada, zip, nope-ola!  No one makes a photoetch set for the Flago in 72 as far as I can figure. After hours on the net searching I couldn't even find a decent drawing of the S-15 TM control panel.

Any ideas here guys. I have always hated Hass kits for the decal control panels but I never expected this from Trumpy. I'd actually like to build the thing before I turn 90. Sigh.
Getting back into modeling

Jeffry Fontaine

Gary,

Sounds like an opportunity for applying a bit of artistic license to your Flagon.  Since it is a twin engine aircraft, you might consider using the pilots instrument panel from an F-4 Phantom or a MiG-25 Foxbat.  Either one would pass muster when you have the canopy closed up to restrict the view of those prying eyes armed with Butt Lights :)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

unlikeKansas

INo trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.