Trumpeter

Started by Deino, October 25, 2006, 02:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Michael Benolkin has uploaded an in-box review of the Trumpeter 1/35th scale kit #1004, M1078 Light Medium Tactical Vehicle (LMTV) for your viewing pleasure.   

(image source: CyberModeler)

While I was overjoyed at the idea of a new military truck in 1/35th scale, that joy was soon displaced when I discovered what the distributors are charging for this model.

From the images that Michael has provided of the kit contents this looks like a very nice kit.  If you can find a cheaper source (other than a price gouging distributor) I say go for it and pick one up!
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

frank2056

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine

While I was overjoyed at the idea of a new military truck in 1/35th scale, that joy was soon displaced when I discovered what the distributors are charging for this model.

Holy Elvis on a popsicle stick! Are they nuts? No wonder Russian armor is more popular - you can get a Gaz-66 truck for $20 and change.

Mossie

Don't think it's just US distributors.  It's going for around £45 here in blighty, around $70US at current exchange rate.  Most similar sized 1/35 trucks are around half that price, I can't see them selling many.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

70 USD or £45?  :o Crikey, you guys are getting ripped off! Here in Germany it retails for  36 EUR, which is about 47USD or £32. Still expensive. And the industry wonders why they sell fewer and fewer kits. With today's shipping charges, it's mostly cheaper to order from China or Japan directly.  :banghead: Some importers are really makin' a killin'. Maybe they should watch who they're gonna kill in the end.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: Maverick on April 12, 2009, 07:52:07 PM
For those that like 'em big, Cybermodeler has a review of the 32nd scale Trumpeter EF-2000
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/kit_tru_2278.shtml

Thanks for linking, mav! :thumbsup:

180 USD! Wow!  :o Wait for the Revell kit later this year. Half the price and twice as good.  :thumbsup: :lol: No, really. Revell gives an MSRP of 50 EUR, which is about 65 USD or £44. And the assembled test-shots of the Trumpeter kit, show some shape errors, such as the boxy rear-end. And then there's that panel line in the Trumpeter kit, that's not there on the real aircraft, but as a moulding flaw in one of the 1/48 Revell kits. Coincidence?  :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

I really don't get how Trumpeter can justify £100 for a 1:32 jet fighter, when Revell sell their superb Hunter kits for around the £30 mark. Ok, the Trumpy kits have more parts and internals etc, but not enough to justify a price three times higher.

And just a quick rant - why are kit companies (Trumpy and Hobbyboss) referring to the Typhoon as the "EF-2000A" (single seat) and "EF-2000B" (twin seat)? AFAIK those are not official names, and no operators refer to the aircraft as such. Seems like a bizarre attempt to impose the US designation system onto it...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Green Dragon

Modellversium has posted an in-box review of the 1/35th scale VRC-105 Centauro. Like the looks of this a lot but I'll have to wait till it hits the bargain bin somewhere!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

entlim

and the decal sheet is inaccurate................
You have hitted me with a black box- I'm not playing this game!.........

Jeffry Fontaine

Michael Benolkin has uploaded an in-box review of the Trumpeter 1/35th scale kit #1004, M1078 Light Medium Tactical Vehicle (LMTV) for your viewing pleasure.   

(image source: CyberModeler)

Before this latest offering from Trumpeter, there were two other models of the M198 available in 1/35th scale.  The most recent was from Mouse House Resins and long before that there was a mulit-media/vacuform kit from Germany (don't recall the name).  So this is nothing breakthrough on Trumpeter's part other than it is in injection molded plastic instead of resin or a vacuform kit.  If you can find a cheaper source (other than a price gouging distributor) it might be worth adding to your collection of artillery pieces. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Aircav

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 18, 2009, 01:46:16 PM
I really don't get how Trumpeter can justify £100 for a 1:32 jet fighter, when Revell sell their superb Hunter kits for around the £30 mark. Ok, the Trumpy kits have more parts and internals etc, but not enough to justify a price three times higher.

And just a quick rant - why are kit companies (Trumpy and Hobbyboss) referring to the Typhoon as the "EF-2000A" (single seat) and "EF-2000B" (twin seat)? AFAIK those are not official names, and no operators refer to the aircraft as such. Seems like a bizarre attempt to impose the US designation system onto it...

Don't forget that the Hunter is now a old kit
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

pyro-manic

Fair enough, their new Ju-88 then. That sells at the same sort of price, and is not a small kit by any means. I don't see how such prices can be justified from the likes of Hasegawa and Trumpeter, when Revell can put out top-notch kits for less than half the amount.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 18, 2009, 01:46:16 PM
And just a quick rant - why are kit companies (Trumpy and Hobbyboss) referring to the Typhoon as the "EF-2000A" (single seat) and "EF-2000B" (twin seat)? AFAIK those are not official names, and no operators refer to the aircraft as such.

Just been reading my latest Combat Aircraft magazine which was in the mail yesterday and noticed that the British and German aircraft were refered to as Typhoons but in another article the Italian one was an EF-2000
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Green Dragon

"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.

Green Dragon

Modellversium has posted an in-box review of the 1/35th scale Australian Army ASLAV-25. I love the LAV designs but I'm not keen on the rubber tyres, had some trouble where the tyres reacted with the plastic of several kits. http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4132

Paul Harrison

On the bench.

JayBee

Quote from: Green Dragon on April 23, 2009, 12:38:20 PM
Modellversium has posted an in-box review of the 1/35th scale Australian Army ASLAV-25. I love the LAV designs but I'm not keen on the rubber tyres, had some trouble where the tyres reacted with the plastic of several kits. http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=4132

Paul Harrison
I had a similar problem with the old AIRFIX tank tracks many yeaqrs ago, the answer is to paint the plastic before puting the "rubber" bits on.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Green Dragon

I had painted the parts Jim, and they still went dodgy. Maybe not enough paint!  :banghead:

Paul Harrison

On the bench.