Airfix releases for 2010 (V BOMBERS !!)

Started by ChrisF, December 23, 2009, 10:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Krell

I don't see the point in redoing the Spitfire mk Ia as the one they already have is still one of the best kits of the Spit around.  They'd have been better off doing either a 22 or 24, which currently isn't available in injection.  However, given the sales potential of a new tool mk Ia in BoB markings at airshows where the Mememorial Flight are displaying, then it seems to make a lot more sense.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

ChrisF

I think its cos the spit 1a is sonnonimous (sp?) with Airfix... it'll always be the one kit they HAVE to be the best... so if they're starting a new run of new molds obviously we can guess what will always be top of the list...

That said has anyone bought the new "Red Box" spitfire IXc ? I wanna take a look at the instructions to see if it'll be suitable for a idea of mine...

Mossie

It's the most accurate, but the fit could be better.  It's also thirty years old & if nothing else, the raised panel lines are old hat.  It's still a good kit, but as one of Airfix's staples, it's not a bad idea to update it as it probably won't be too long before someone like Tumpy or Hobby Boss makes a modern kit that's just as accurate.  If Airfix can produce a modern kit that builds on the current kits strengths, it can continue as one of it's biggest sellers for at least another decade.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Barry Krell

Quote from: Mossie on December 27, 2009, 09:18:10 AM
It's the most accurate, but the fit could be better.  It's also thirty years old & if nothing else, the raised panel lines are old hat. 

True, the fit is appallingly bad in places but I think this is due to the mould alteration to make it a snap fit.  Remove the locating lugs on the wing roots and it fits quite nicely.

As for the raised panel lines.  Look at a Spitfire close up - or indeed any WWII aircraft - and you'll see that the panels overlap so the raised panel lines are closer to reality than recessed.  With Bf 109s, the raised lines actually assisted the airflow along the fuselage.

Quote from: Mossie on December 27, 2009, 09:18:10 AM
It's still a good kit, but as one of Airfix's staples, it's not a bad idea to update it as it probably won't be too long before someone like Tumpy or Hobby Boss makes a modern kit that's just as accurate. 

Trumpeter? Accuracy?  One word - Lightning.

Mossie

Not arguing that the Spit has raised panel lines, just that they're old hat on models!

Trumpy was just an example, but they're capable of high quality stuff even if they have the occasional nightmare.  Ditto Airfix with the Bf-109G & possibly the MiG-15, although the Shars look good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

The Airfix Mk 1 could use a little interior detail.  That would make it nicer.

I personally want to see an inexpensive Mk 47 Seafire in 72nd for my Korean War theme.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Howard of Effingham

i'll take a couple of valiants.

the new tool F-86's of their's also look worth buying.
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Quote from: ChrisF on December 27, 2009, 06:29:01 AM
That said has anyone bought the new "Red Box" spitfire IXc ? I wanna take a look at the instructions to see if it'll be suitable for a idea of mine...

Got 4 - what do you need from the instructions ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChrisF

Well i dont per se.. but i was looking at the New recon spitfire from airfix and was amazed how much more detail they've put into it especially the interior... i wanted to know if this new mkIXc was the same...

Basically i have the Airfix club "seafire" and it seems to be made from half old moulds and half new ones... I reckoned if i stole the fusalage from the IXc and the wings ect from the Club kit with some other small fettling i should be in business...  ;D

Barry Krell

Sadly, the IX has less cockpit detail but apart from that it's just as good as the XIX.  Apart from being too long!

You're thinking about a Seafire based on the IX airframe, aren't you?  Well, you're not the only one.  You'd be better off taking the arrestor gear from the Club Seafire and applying it to the IX.  The Seafire II onwards had the C wing armament which was better than the B wing as there were more combinations of guns available to be fitted.  Don't forget that there are other mods to do to the kit - strengthening plates, catapult spools, etc.

ChrisF

indeed.. and yes i was thinking a general mix of parts... using the best from both kits... as far as i can see the club kit is just an old spitfire kit with a extra few sprues of new "seafire" bits... it even still has the old wings in the box anyway even though you dont need them for the seafire...

So yeah use all the club seafire bits and bin the old old old spitfire bits for new "redbox" spitfire bits... ish...

Barry Krell

Why bin ANY of the Airfix Spitfire bits? The old Ia and Vb are still the most accurate in the scale.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: ChrisF on December 28, 2009, 05:32:59 AM
indeed.. and yes i was thinking a general mix of parts... using the best from both kits... as far as i can see the club kit is just an old spitfire kit with a extra few sprues of new "seafire" bits... it even still has the old wings in the box anyway even though you dont need them for the seafire...

So yeah use all the club seafire bits and bin the old old old spitfire bits for new "redbox" spitfire bits... ish...

i have plans chris to produce a PR.XI from these two kits [the XIX and the IX] but DO have an airfix magazine guide to help.

a franken-spit is likely for the left over bits,  :rolleyes: which is sacreligous to some.
Keeper of George the Cat.

ChrisF

Mainly panel lines.. it looks odd having raised on some peices and engraved on others...(correct or not it just looks... well...strange)  that and after completing the Wildcat/marlin and swordfish im getting suspicious of the quality of the older moulds... both of the other kits in the CLUB set are very old moulds and have been quite frankly a nightmare of PSR, swearing and general bruteforce... So again i reckon use the best bits from both kits... I mean i may change my mind after offering pieces up but i like the sound of having the choice to play around if that makes sense...

Oh and on the subject of sacreligous behaviour this IS a "what-if" forum.... sacreligon is what we do best...  ;D

NARSES2

As Barry says, apart from the basic interior the new Mk IX is a nice kit and again to confirm his comments the Mk Ia is one of my favourite kits. Built a few and never had a problem with fit  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.