Main Menu

SP-51 Snowstang

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 26, 2009, 04:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Have today decided NOT to use the AM Yuk-1 skis as they are too bulky and too Russian-looking for the Snowstang.  So, I'll be scratchbuilding some lighter ones; the thinner style which utilize the tyres/tires going through a slot in the skis.

But, the airframe IS ready for paint.  Now, where can I learn some techniques on simulating an "in the field" WWII tempera snow paint over a standard olive drab base?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Had to re-putty.  Always fun. I put the "R" in PSR (Putty-Sand-Repeat).  The canopy-to-fuselage fit is just not that great.

John Howling Mouse

Forgot to take a pic of the primered stage but here are some in-progress shots of airbrushed work:

Undercoated yellow for the wing stripes:

Then some basic masking to protect the yellow for the stripes:

Then protect the underside with about $42 worth of Tamiya tape, separated by some Blu-Tac for a feathered edge b/w camo grey underside and OD topside:

And it comes out looking like this:

Gloss-coated for decals.  The new Future formulation sure is different than the old.  Still works but not as well, IMHO.

John Howling Mouse

And I end up with what would be a pretty okay model, as is.  Only thing is, she's not nearly done yet.  This is how the Snowstang looked as a regular, generic WWII American fighter:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ahhhh one of life's constants..... Mr Shrieking Rodents' consistantly superb prowess at whittling plastic.....

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

Few can build 'em like Baz!

I have a feeling this one's about to take a turn to colder climes...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Ed S

Nice looking Mustang as it is.  I'm looking forward to seeing this get winterized.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 08, 2010, 12:42:01 PM
And I end up with what would be a pretty okay model, as is.

Pretty okay my @rse! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mossie, standing by.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Tophe

Will the skids be retractable ones? :huh: with a device to turn them flat below the wing? :huh:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

Come on! The suspense is killing me!!  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys!  Tophe, I will re-locate the central gear doors to the "closed" position but I don't think these skis will be retractable as on the Yaks.  Slows the aircraft down considerably but they at least get to fly from unfinished Siberian airbase sites.

The bird has since been in Soviet service under the American Lend-Lease program.  Some of the changes include:
- I've faded the paint overall
- painted out the American insignia and codes with a mis-matched overpaint (done rather hastily in the field)
- the drop-tanks are gone
- the prop blades and cone are now more weathered and grimed up
- more streaks added to the yellow-painted stripes and cowl ring
- she's quite a bit dirtier with more exhaust and foot traffic stains
- the exhausts themselves have now been rusted over
- I've added a bit more weathering with a silver Prismacolor pencil
- I changed the photo background (different location)
- and those STARS, those fantastic red stars and tail number are finally in place (painted over a base star in silver)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I think I can see where this is going, and I'm really looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Tophe

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 13, 2010, 09:51:38 AM
- painted out the American insignia and codes with a mis-matched overpaint (done rather hastily in the field)
Very well done, and this is a very good choice, of a way that could done have been done on the field while absolutely rejected by 'normal' modellers, as having no glory enough, not even cleanliness enough to be displayed (war models 'should' be clean apart of oil, they say)... Glory to what-ifery :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]