Main Menu

SP-51 Snowstang

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 26, 2009, 04:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on March 13, 2010, 11:26:28 AM
I think I can see where this is going, and I'm really looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

Ian

I think so too.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

John Howling Mouse

Time for some pics of the skis in progress.  After all, snow (and how to deal with it) is the whole point of this GB!

Started with a paper test cut-out that looked okay so I moved on to cutting and shaping some 40 thou styrene sheet.  By slicing halfway through, I created a bend-line where I wanted the ski to be angled (front and back).  In these pics you can see one ski as a straight slab and the other with the ends bent up.

Underneath, I knew filler would not be enough to support the grooves caused from the cutting and bending so I used Evergreen styrene strips as filler-ribs instead:

Add some handcut bits of styrene for details:

Put it altogether and you end up with, well, this, I suppose:

Did you think I forgot about the tailwheel?

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

While all that progress was going on with the skis, I had to build in some support armatures on the landing gear to attach those skis.  You have to look close to see the extra arms on both sides of the wheels.  They culminate in little shock-absorber pads.  I think.

To break up the monotony of the ski-building, I also built some rockets from the Monogram P-47 Razorback kit.  I drilled out the ends to thin down the rocket tubes' walls and make the holes deeper, more realistic.  The kit's line drawings seem to contradict their own supplied photos of the real thing so I reversed the rockets to match the photos rather than the line drawings.  Maybe the Soviets have different ordnance in this Whifstory.

John Howling Mouse

Want to see what the skis look like all painted up and weathered?  There's even miniature "snow" on them now:

Mossie

Just giving us a sneak-peak of the camo! ;)  Skis are are a work of art Baz! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ed S

Great work on the skis.  This is looking great.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

An artisan at work..... Fantastic, simply fantastic work.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Mossie on March 21, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
Just giving us a sneak-peak of the camo! ;)  Skis are are a work of art Baz! :wub:

Heh, heh, yes, I am big tease.  It's called камуфляж снежинки or "snowflake camouflage."

ChernayaAkula

Those skis and their fittings looks very realistic! :thumbsup:

Why the grooves? Because you can and because they improve longitudinal stability on take off and landing runs.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Brian da Basher

That's some serious ski action there, Mr Howling Mouse!

It's always a treat to see your amazing detail work!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Oh look, winter has decided to make a comeback this morning.  Good for diorama backgrounds!

ChernayaAkula

After excelling at styrene and paint, now he also controls the weather to suit his diorama background needs.  :o
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Eddie M.

I have been rendered speechless once again to describe the talent I see on display. Bravo!!
Look behind you!

Radish

Fabulous work......just brilliant stuff :bow: :bow: :bow:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

Only you would make a pair of 1/48 skis into miniature works of art :bow:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May