No promises..... F I N I S H E D !!

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, December 27, 2009, 07:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Happy Birhtday Ian!! Hope you did well in the exams.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Brian da Basher

Many happy returns on your special day, Mr Hunter-Gatherer. I hope you got everything you wanted and then some! Best of luck when the exam results are posted. I hope they make you Chief or Admiral or whatever the title is...

And Greg, many thanks for the Penguin Army poster. Some of us can never get enought penguins!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Thanks folks, that's very 'sweet' of you all  :wub:

Well the insides are painted, and just need bringing together, I would have done that yesterday, but I was setting-up and playing with my birthday present..... a cordless keyboard for my PC - Thanks Mrs. Hunter-Gatherer, and also working on my Scorpion FAW.2 (on the 'in-progress' thread if anybody is interested). Pics very soon, "I pwomise"

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Fuselage halves are together, and the wee thing has followed me into work tonight so I'll me attacking it with the filler later-on..... unless something happens, like the odd maritime disaster or something  :blink:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on January 30, 2010, 12:50:08 AM
Pics very soon, "I pwomise"

Three days later & no pics, you've been hanging with Radish too long!  Step away from the suspenders..... :blink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

Quote from: Mossie on February 02, 2010, 04:01:17 AM
Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on January 30, 2010, 12:50:08 AM
Pics very soon, "I pwomise"

you've been hanging with Radish too long!  Step away from the suspenders..... :blink:

You DO relaise the scary (read horrific) image that this statement conjors up don't you??  Going native is one thing, but this!!!! Oh the nightmares..... :wacko:

Oh and pictures would be nice as well, of the models I mean :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Although I have never worn suspenders, I have often admired women who do..... and I married a couple of them too  :wacko: - Progress is being made, you'll just have to (keep) trusting me  :thumbsup:

Ian

**EDIT**

Here ya go !!

Looks almost 'effite' alongside the big ugly F-89 doesn't it ?

Some self explanatory pics now:

See, told you to trust me  :blink:

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Dork the kit slayer

Birthday........................oops..................................catch it next year........................................if I can be arsed.

Your really really bestist mate.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

PR19_Kit

Ian,

Smart looking aeroplane that Rafale, good choice.

On a technical point, does it use the inner sections of the wing trailing edge as elevators and the outer sections as ailerons, or are the inner sections used as flaps?

I notice you have modelled them both depressed, but then it also has a canard foreplane too. Flapped deltas are pretty rare, and impossible to fly without some some sort of 'elevator' to sort out the trim issues AFAIK. But of course the Rafale has all the bits that are needed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Mornin Kit
The outer flaperoneythingymawottzitz are moulded with the slightest of droops, I've scored through the inner ones to drop them a wee bit more. On the real thing I couldn't tell you, as I honestly don't know the subject well enough. There's probably folks here who do, and will be pointing out my possible error in due course  :rolleyes:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Ian,

I have no doubt you're correct there, we'll be BURIED in information on flapped deltas before long.  :lol:

I just had a trawl through the various aviation piccie sites, trying to find piccies of Rafales on approach to see if they are flapped or not, but no joy. The things are always nose high of course, and festooned with tanks and weapons and stuff that get in the way.

I'm working on a model and backstory that requires some serious input on exactly that front, which is why it was uppermost in my mind when I read your post.

Love the flaperoneythingymawottzitz terminolgy though, that's a technical aviation term, no doubt?  ;D :lol: :cheers:

[A tad later] Me and my mouth, just found the pic below.

It looks as if all four trailing edge surfaces are deflected together, but whether thay are acting as flaps or elevons is difficult to tell. The foreplanes are well pitched up (perhaps as the pilot's flaring to engage the hook?) and the AoA is pretty steep, which would mitigate against the wing flaperoneythingymawottzitz acting as flaps I'd have thought.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2010, 03:09:48 AM
[A tad later] Me and my mouth, just found the pic below.

It looks as if all four trailing edge surfaces are deflected together, but whether thay are acting as flaps or elevons is difficult to tell. The foreplanes are well pitched up (perhaps as the pilot's flaring to engage the hook?) and the AoA is pretty steep, which would mitigate against the wing flaperoneythingymawottzitz acting as flaps I'd have thought.

Okay, I'll bite..... ;D

The wing flaps and flaperons are all deflected downward to increase lift, so yes, they're acting as flaps: if he had leading edge droops, they'd be down too. Of course, on a pure delta this produces a nose-down pitch, which is why they can't do it, since the only thing they have to use as an elevator is the same length of training edge. However a canard delta can use it's canards as elevators, so it gets away with it. You can see how hard the canards are working in the pic.... :blink:

This means that Ian's model is right. The amount of deflection might be a bit much for a powered-up aircraft (although I don't actually know), but then it might be one of those aircraft where the flaps gradually droop after it's parked as hydraulic pressure bleeds off.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones