Secret Santa Mig 29XL

Started by Ed S, December 28, 2009, 09:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Ok, I've started work on my Mig 29 from Philp.  As I mentioned, it will be stretched and a cranked delta wing added.  This first picture shows the upper and lower fuselage with the cuts competed.  The lower fuselage has had the spacers glued in place.  One the glue is fully cured, then this will be filled with styrene strips and then puttied over.  Then I can match the upper fuselage to it and secure it.

This picture shows a close up of the spacers I use to fit the fuselage back together.  I cut a number of pieces of styrene strip to exactly the same length. I use styrene that is the same thickness as the model fuselage  Then I glue them each to a longer piece of styrene strip.  Using several of these to make the stretch helps keep parts aligned and at a constant separation.

And finally, here is the lower fuselage with a cardboard cutout that I am using a template to make sure things look right and will fit.  Then I will use this to cut out the wings.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

batmancustoms

John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/

Weaver

Nice one Ed.

That's exactly the technique I intend to use to extend a Seahawk's fuselage at some point, except that I'll do enough of those spacers to do the complete "barrel", since I don't rate my chances of bending a sheet of plasticard into a nice tube....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

That wing shape just looks perfect to add to the MiG-29's blended lines, looking forward to this! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ed S

A quick update on my MiG.  I have the fuselage together and joined the wings on this evening.  Now to start the PSR. 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Eddie M.

Very cool shape. Looking forward to the roll out. ;D
Look behind you!

retro_seventies

Hi Ed,

I haven't been around here much recently (back in Ye Olde Tymes i used to be here a lot), but i'm starting to find my way back - and what a welcome back gift!  Stunning work! I can't wait to see how she progresses....

...are you keeping the twin tails?  Or will it be tailless?
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Brian da Basher

Yowsa that's impressive kit surgery there, Ed!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thanks, Ed, for the surgery info. I notice you attach the sturdy lengths of plastic before cementing the fus halves together. I think that would be the way to go instead of cementing them first.
The Heinkel fus is tapered so I wonder if that would affect the process.
Allan

ysi_maniac

WOW! I love plastic surgery! Yours look impressive :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

Ed S

Quote from: Allan on February 10, 2010, 05:36:10 PM
Thanks, Ed, for the surgery info. I notice you attach the sturdy lengths of plastic before cementing the fus halves together. I think that would be the way to go instead of cementing them first.
The Heinkel fus is tapered so I wonder if that would affect the process.
Allan

I doubt if the fuselage taper will be a problem.  The Mig-29 has a complex shape, but with the spacers, everything has lined up just fine.

Ed

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

The MiG 32 (NATO code name "Flathead") was developed from the Mig 29 ("Fulcrum") as a long range, high speed strike fighter The fuselage was stretched, new higher power versions of the RD 33 engines were installed and a new arrowhead wing was designed.  It entered service in the late 1990's. It proved successful and was well liked by the pilots who flew it.  It became the primary SEAD a/c in the Russian inventory, replacing the MiG-25PP in that role. It was commonly seen carrying an advanced version of the large, long range Kh-58 ARM.

The Mig 32 seen here was painted in retro commemorative colors and markings for the "Heros of the Great Patriotic War" celebration.  It displays the colors and markings of the Yak 7 flow by Russian ace, Major Petr Pokryshev, HSU.

It's finished.  With a couple hours to spare.

Ed

Logan Hartke

Very nice, Ed.  I'm reminded of the old MiGs from "Red Alert 2".

Cheers,

Logan