Heroic Failures of Group Building

Started by puddingwrestler, December 28, 2009, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I think I've picked up the second book before (or one very similar) & a good chunk of them are aircraft that never entered service.  Okay, some of them never should, but plenty on that list didn't get there because of other reasons.

I'm never keen on these 'World Worst' books because they're very subjective & most of them are not very well researched, one of them I picked up had the Victor in it (if you're going to pick a V Bomber, theValiant is the obvious choice).  I picked up 'Infamous Aircraft' by Robert Jackson, which is pretty good.  It avoids the 'worst' tag which is pretty emotive & focuses on the problems faced & qualifies it's reasons well.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

RAH-66 Comanche would do it for me, 20-25 years (I think) of development with only two built and then cancelled after gobs of money thrown at it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Cliffy B

What about the A-12 Avenger program?  It was considered so important that they canceled the F-14 Super Tomcat and the A-6F Intruder to make way for it and what happened?  After a gazillion dollars later we lost ALL THREE aircraft and got screwed over with the short legged Legacy Hornet  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous