Fairey Battle Whiffs

Started by GTX, December 30, 2009, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on February 28, 2011, 11:02:23 AM
FTB? :unsure:

Sorry Simon --- Flying Test Beds.  The Battle proved to be quite a good one from what I've read.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I suspect that was because it was large enough, and had a crew of three, to carry a reasonable load of test instrumentation. I doubt telemetry had developed far enough in those days. It hadn't even got to a decent level by the 1960s!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 28, 2011, 02:32:29 PM
Quote from: Mossie on February 28, 2011, 11:02:23 AM
FTB? :unsure:

Sorry Simon --- Flying Test Beds.  The Battle proved to be quite a good one from what I've read.

Thanks Robert! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Flying Test Bed.

I like the idea of giving it a Hercules though.  The adaptor bit in the Wellesley would be a good start.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf

The Hercules was fitted to Battles N2042 and N2184, the landing gear were repositioned and fixed in place.

The R-R Exe and a Merlin XII with chin radiator were also tested on the Battle, serials K9222 and N2234 respectively.

K9240 was flown with the Napier Dagger.

Old Wombat

So, from the sound of it, no matter what you do to a Battle it wont be a WhIf because it's already been done as a test-bed..... Unless you do it as an operational aircraft! :cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

RAAF coastal patrol? The bombs would be useful against subs but the aircraft would be a sitting duck against the Japanese.

Somewhere, I have a part built Battle and I think I now know what to do with it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Quote from: kitbasher on March 02, 2011, 11:16:20 AM
Two engines - as argued for by Lobelle - like this?
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21075.msg340144.html#msg340144
;D ;D

... or the Fairey Twin-Engine Day Bomber of 1933, drawing originally posted by Justo Miranda in the above mentioned Secretprojects thread.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

raafif

come on Greg where's the Battle floatplane ?  Want to compare it to the Hampden float version  ;D
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

GTX

Quote from: raafif on March 03, 2011, 03:29:34 PM
come on Greg where's the Battle floatplane ?  Want to compare it to the Hampden float version  ;D

You mean this one:

Sorry I thought I had already posted it  ;).

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

PR19_Kit

I found an article about the Battle FTBs in a Flypast magazine, Jan 2009 issue with a P-51 on the front. There's a whole series of Battle items in there as well.

Somewhat surprisingly some of the FTB Battles had fixed landing gear, the Sabre and Hercules versions in particular. Apparently the idea was to increase the drag so the engines could be tested at high power settings, as the normal airframe was so sleek!

And my guess about the Battle's use as an FTB because it had multiple seats and lots of space for test gear turned out correct, as well as the fact that the Battle was of modern construction, being a stressed skin monocoque airframe, so was current with fighter and bomber build methods then being used. A contemporary FTB aircraft, the Folland Fo 108 (surely a candidate for the 'World's Ugliest Aeroplane'?) was built for the test-bed job, and similarly was provided with three seats and lots of internal space for test gear.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

There's a few Fairey & Blackburn aircraft that could beat the F.108 to the title!

With the 'Frightful', I think it depends on the engine installation.  The airframe itself isn't particularly ugly, just a bit agricultural.  The Hercules installation seemed to suit it, the Sabre with chin radiator made it ugly, but in a way that suited it's lines.  The Sabre without chin radiator just looked odd & the Centaurus installation.... it's mother would have shunned that one!  I guess some of the Hawker Tempest & Fury test installions show that a change in engine can ruin the face on a perfect body.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.