Fairey Battle Whiffs

Started by GTX, December 30, 2009, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on March 11, 2011, 03:29:22 AM
There's a few Fairey & Blackburn aircraft that could beat the F.108 to the title!

Yes, true. The Blackburn Blackburn being THE winner to my mind, YEUK!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

A long time ago I had thought of a "Fairey Marlin" FAA torpedo bomber that would incorporate a Barracuda nose and torpedo on a Battle body (fairly mild whif). That's been on a "back burner" for decades. When I just learned of an MPM twin-cockpit trainer version model coming out, THAT was the "Battle" body I wanted. The crude profile I stitched together for my gallery:

would have the G.I.B. be a radar operator for night torpedo operations (thus no rear-seat gunner).

Seems that the Battle was "tested" in just about every conceivable configuration, thus great grist for the mill of whifs.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Wooksta!

Except the Barracuda had a Merlin, as did the Battle.  A few extra horsepower perhaps (IIRC the Barracuda had a MerlinXX) but the Marlin would be a lash up whereas the Barracuda was designed specifically for the role and by all accounts better than history gives it credit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

If you want it to have a Griffon, I'd use the nose off a Fairey Firefly Mk.I, but then the Griffon nose from a Firefly Mk.IV would look neat too, because then you could use wing leading edge radiators.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sequoiaranger

>Except the Barracuda had a Merlin, as did the Battle.  A few extra horsepower perhaps... <

Yes. That is really all I want. It will be a night bomber, so doesn't need "escape velocity", just some oomph. The early Spitfires (and the late Battles) had a 1,000-hp Merlin, but the Spitfire IX had a 1700-hp Merlin. More than just "a few extra horsepower", 1700 hp will do nicely, as this is an "early-mid war" plane in my "Furashita's Fleet" slightly-advanced timeline, so it doesn't have be be the "ultimate" torpedo-bomber. That "ultimate" torpedo-bomber is the "Fairey Cuttlefish" biplane jet torpedo-bomber that squirts the torpedo out backwards (pointing forwards) from the rear of the plane. (see:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1747    )
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Barracuda Mk V was Griffon powered.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Thread revival time.

Whilst working on my current Airfix Fairey Battle I had plenty of time to muse whilst holding the canopy in place in an attempt to wait until the Clearfix had attached it securely. Anyway for some reason an RAF Sturmovik came to mind, there is a vague similarity between the types especially when you've been holding one between finger and thumb for a while. Checking to see if there was a Battle thread (which there is  ;D) I noticed the first couple of items in the thread actually reflect my thoughts somewhat.

So a up-engine Battle with the gunner moved closer to the pilot, some armour protection and anti personnel bombs in the wing bomb bays plus heavier gun armament in the wings ? Service in the Middle East ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Interesting.  Check out info regarding Boulton-Paul's P.96 at http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17868.msg252340.html#msg252340, and also Tony Buttler's Secret Projects Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950.

I've recently pulled apart a second-hand 50p built Airfix Il-2 that will at some point within the next decade or so receive a Napier Sabre, four-blade propellor, a turret and probably leftover Battle wings from my 'Fairey Falcon' (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21075.msg299160.html#msg299160).  D-Day stripes of course!  Name?  Boulton-Paul Barbarian - you heard it here first!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

You'd want something smaller than a Battle - Fulmar perhaps?  That started as a light bomber anyway.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 25, 2014, 08:58:38 AM
You'd want something smaller than a Battle - Fulmar perhaps?  That started as a light bomber anyway.

I second that motion.

Graft a Sabre or a Centaurus off an old Matchbox Tempest on the front.

I did a Sabre Firefly once (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31452.msg483260.html#msg483260).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2014, 06:59:12 AM
Thread revival time.

Whilst working on my current Airfix Fairey Battle I had plenty of time to muse whilst holding the canopy in place in an attempt to wait until the Clearfix had attached it securely. Anyway for some reason an RAF Sturmovik came to mind, there is a vague similarity between the types especially when you've been holding one between finger and thumb for a while. Checking to see if there was a Battle thread (which there is  ;D) I noticed the first couple of items in the thread actually reflect my thoughts somewhat.

So a up-engine Battle with the gunner moved closer to the pilot, some armour protection and anti personnel bombs in the wing bomb bays plus heavier gun armament in the wings ? Service in the Middle East ?

Chris, you got me to pondering this idea & reading the entries following this, & I thought why not up-engine the Battle (late Merlin or Griffon?), bring the gunner closer to the pilot by cutting out that length of fuselage entirely (thus shortening the aircraft) & reducing the wing length slightly, possibly adding a bit of sweep-back, as per the Il-2, in the process, with 2 x 20mm in the wings plus bomb load of your choice & the gunner could have a choice of 1 x .303 Browning, 2 x .303 Brownings or 1 x .50 Browning. Easy enough to explain the changes to shape as being inspired by the success of the Il-2.

Earlier posts lead me to think that a torpedo version needs to keep the length - otherwise it'd look silly. ;)

:cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

A Fulmar would be nice. Beauty kit as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Like your thinking Old Wombat.

As per the Fulmar idea, it's a good one. Thorvic PM'd me with it as well as seeing it here. I've got an Airfix boxing of somebodies Fulmar as well.

However any attempt to build one is a while off, still it's gone into the "ideas book"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

The Fulmar is Smer's, possibly Merit before that.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.