Main Menu
O

The Swinging Sixties GB

Started by Overkiller, December 30, 2009, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

Taiidantomcat

Excellent Idea...Swingwing flanker has been on my to do list for a while now  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

deathjester

Are the variable geometry hatstands Meant to cope with those huge hats that Soviet generals liked to wear....?!!
  And how about a swing wing B-52.....with a T-tail!!

deathjester

Well this is the start of an idea -  The Weirdest Bond Ggadgets GB!  Does he keep it in the boot of the Aston, just in case?  Hope he doesn't grab that in the heat of the moment instead of a jetpack....

deathjester

Ahh, I have it - oblique wing 'Little Nellie'!!

nev

Well, as long as its not just limited to the 60s I think it's a great idea :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

For a swinging Thud, I'd imagine you could do something with Su-17 wings.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ed S

When I first read the title to this thread, the first thing that popped into my mine was an XKE with a Union Jack on it.   But I guess that's not really the kind of "swinging" you were refering to.

But a "swing wing" build might be fun.  I did something along this line with my converted A-7D into a swing wing Su-16 for last years "Sovietize it" GB.  I'm sure we could come up with some other interesting ideas.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

Certainly there's already been more than one VG Lightning built, as they appear at UK shows quite often, but how about a VG Canberra? I mean, there's already been every OTHER sort of Canberra built (even VSTOL ones in build right now  <_<) but I can't recall a VG one as yet.

(Of course someone will now post a link to thread where some genius has done exactly that about 5 years ago!:))
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

upnorth

What about a VG Victor?

I know the crescent wing was a near iconic piece of engineering; but if you cut the wings off just outside of the main  gear legs and made the outer wings straight edged and VG could you imagine the extra speed you might pull out of a Victor?

VG Victors slinging Blue Steels straight to the Bear's doorstep that much faster!

Although they aren't 60's aircraft, the idea of a VG F-15 or F-18 have been with me for quite some time.

Could you imagine the new RAAF Super Hornets as a VG type? That would be replacing the F-111 properly! :thumbsup:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Weaver

On one of the many Tomcat threads, I proposed a mixture of Sea Vixen and Tomcat: I suppose that would count?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

GTX

Quote from: upnorth on December 31, 2009, 10:19:56 AM
What about a VG Victor?

I know the crescent wing was a near iconic piece of engineering; but if you cut the wings off just outside of the main  gear legs and made the outer wings straight edged and VG could you imagine the extra speed you might pull out of a Victor?

VG Victors slinging Blue Steels straight to the Bear's doorstep that much faster!

I must admit that I have long thought of doing something like that - just wish there was a decent Victor kit to play with.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: Overkiller on January 02, 2010, 05:29:28 AM

Or maybe a prop powered VG test bed, Vickers planned to fly just such a thing, the JC-9 I believe, but although the plane was built, it was never flown.

:cheers:

Duncan

There's a thought: you know the Draken sub-scale testbed, the Lil-Draken? Well how about using scaleorama to make a sub-scale VG testbed? Depending on what's available, you could have a 1/100th or 1/144th swinger in 1/72nd scale with a prop or a single jet, or (more choice) use a 1/72nd base kit and scaleorama it to 1/48th. Side-by-side seating jobs like the F-111 or Su-24 would be ideal, because you don't have to widen the forward fuselage to get the bigger canopy in.

Now come to think of it, I've got an F-111 shell and a dead 1/48th F-19: take the cones out of the intakes, put a single, plain nozzle at the rear, short metal nose, blown F-19 canopy rather than the chisel one, take all the ECM bumps off, add an instrument boom..... hmmmmm

- Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Certainly an interesting GB proposal I have to say - I'd have to look at a new source for a second airframe to convert if I got in on this fun, but I think I know which bird I want to do - the end result should be pretty wicked too - a VG Phantom.  I saw a picture of the shoulder-winged monster and my buddy and I were like "Holy hell, that looks like a Flogger!"
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Unfortunately, a little investigation reveals that I don't have as much of the F-111 as I thought: just the fuselage shells. Still, it's enough to roughly prove the concept: the F-19 cockpit fits the escape pod cutout in the fuselage almost exactly. Blending the canopy frame in might be interesting though.

- Indiana Jones