My Stash just grew again 2010

Started by Thorvic, December 31, 2009, 04:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Won a couple of door prizes at Heritagecon on Saturday, an Italeri F-15E and some sort of weird half-track from Roden. Wouldn't even know how to paint it so I let an old friend have it, haven't seen him in a couple of years and we bumped into each other at a vendor table. Also snagged an Airfix Hunter FGA.9 for $5, decals will be donated to my Operation Musketeer Swift, and an Airfix Bristol Superfreighter for $15.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Radish

A quick stop at Hobbycraft in Tamworth on the way to pick Mid up from school.....so some Revell Aqua Color paints and 2 x 1/72nd Airfix Spitfire PR.XIXs :wub:
A bit dissappointed with the Swedish choice.....it's a bit common that one. A pity they couldn't have chosen a Thain one, or a Turkish one. Never mind, the decals look nice, and'll be super on an F-84 or Lightning.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Quote from: B787 on February 24, 2010, 02:52:48 PM
What on earth is THAT! That is the most awful thing.................in the world. "Marines scooters are for squirts, no scooters on deck."  ;D

Anyway, it's th Zvezda 787, and it will get Greenlandair markings...

It's the two wheeled equivalent of the Lada (or more acurately, Zastava/Yugo).  They were manufactured in Yugoslavia in the Cold War, now Slovenia.  They were exported all over Europe, although in Western Europe they were seen as a bit of a joke because of their simple styling, low performance & pedal start (known as a 'pedal n pop' around my locality).  Despite all this, they got a good following because they were cheap, economical to run & bomb proof.  Like Weave says, they could go for miles & miles without a problem & I wouldn't be surpised to here that Greece trip was on a single tank of petrol! :lol:

They were pretty common when I was a kid, less so now as the Chinese are flooding the market with cheap bikes, although they're still around.  One flaw some models had was that the spark plugs were under the seat with no lock, mischeivous kids (not me, I was good lad!) would take them out & hide them, or sometimes nick them completely.  Hence Tomos owners would often keep a spare plug in their pocket!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

You think that's ugly???  I didn't have a Tomos, I had a Batavus.  If my Dad had wanted to put a teenager off motorbikes that was the way to do it (he actually wanted me to get into them)!  He said he had this mate at work selling a beauty.  Trusting my Dad (he nearly did the same with my first car, I found a much better one myself), I gave him the cash to give to his mate.  My mates turned up to see what I'd got & a silver monstrosity turned up.

I was too embarressed to put it on the road & it stayed in the garage for a few months until I eventually managed to persuade someone to take it of my hands for the same price I paid for it.  We did take it for a spin up the alley & back on a few occasions (my Dad wasn't too chuffed about that) & it was great fun, even if you could jog quicker.  If you peddled while on the move it doubled the acceleration! :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: B787 on February 25, 2010, 02:59:23 PM
Yes, but scooters are Italian, can be found in Italy, are slow, noisy, small, fall over, stink, annoying, ugly and are useless.

You haven't ridden a Lambretta Li 250 Special then have you Thomas ??  When I was 17 I had a very bad motorcycle accident, nearly lost my foot because of the crash, and I was in a cast for 9 months.  Just to get around I used to ride the bro-in-laws Li 250 Special because the left foot doesn't do anything on a scooter (these ones anyway) and I could get the thing up to nearly 100 mph (didn't go around corners very well though   ;D  ). It surprise the poo-poo out of my buddies when I used to race them back to the coffee shop after the pubs closed.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 25, 2010, 07:02:47 PM
Quote from: B787 on February 25, 2010, 02:59:23 PM
Yes, but scooters are Italian, can be found in Italy, are slow, noisy, small, fall over, stink, annoying, ugly and are useless.

You haven't ridden a Lambretta Li 250 Special then have you Thomas ??  When I was 17 I had a very bad motorcycle accident, nearly lost my foot because of the crash, and I was in a cast for 9 months.  Just to get around I used to ride the bro-in-laws Li 250 Special because the left foot doesn't do anything on a scooter (these ones anyway) and I could get the thing up to nearly 100 mph (didn't go around corners very well though   ;D  ). It surprise the poo-poo out of my buddies when I used to race them back to the coffee shop after the pubs closed.

LOL - despite being mostly into big bikes, I rode around on a Gilera FXR180 Runner for a while (still got it in the garage). All sorts of fun: being blanked by "proper" bike riders at traffic lights then watching them get all "interested" when they finally caught up, five traffic lights later...... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

thedarkmaster

Got an Acadamy Striker apc, i don't usually do vehicles but this was so nice i had to, also got the new Revell British pilots, very nice  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Airfix 1/72 Blackburn Buccaneer S2B/S2D S Mk.50 from Modelzone in Hull.

Guy at the desk tried his hardest to put me off it, lucky I knew what was in the box.  He didn't like the old kit & thought the LGB's were too fat! :lol:

NARSES2

Picked up one of those in Alders (Croydon dept store) local MZ didn't have it in stock yet

Also in MZ a Hobby Boss A7-K for £7.99 + a A for IHG at the same price  ;D

Also succumbed and finally picked up a Hasegawa Renzen/Shindenkai/Flying bomb combination  ;D B/Day present to myself  :drink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

Happy birthday, Chris!
:party: :drink: :party: :drink: :party:
Looks like you celebrated in good order. :)

Not being very thrilled with the "specials" over at Squadron (or as Jeff Fontaine calls them, "Squander" hehehehehe), I decided to take a look over at e-bay, where you can get a deal if you know what you're doing. Recently I picked up:

1/144 Entex DO-X flying boat (huge kit)

1/144 Trumpeter Kawanishi H6K5 flying boat (nice looking kit)

NASA decals in 1/72 & 1/144

1/144 Testor's Convair C 131 (box says 1/126 but it measures to 1/144)

oh and an ancient 1/200-ish Lindberg DC -8 minus the wings for pocket change.

Got my eye on a couple of others too. The age of $15 or less kits still lives on!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Spey_Phantom

revell 1/72 Messerschmitt Me P.1099B Heavy Armour fighter  :mellow:
the kit looks very nice, could make a great luft46 bomber  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

Got one myself last week, just screams at you doesn't it???

Army of One

Went to Trucks n Tracks this am,got an Airfix buccaneer and an old hasegawa weapons set both in 1/72,chap then pointed to a sign saying buy two get a third free....so nabbed another Hawk 100 from italeri.......get home n there are two decal sheets with the buccaneer,happy days.....all 3 kits for £16,Bucc was £11 n £each for others but one free obviously......broke my buying ban,had to be done.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Aircav

Called in at Chestermoor this afternoon and bought a 1/72 Scammel Scarab, may end up on my 009 railway board.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

ChernayaAkula

Happy Birthday,NARSE2! :party:

I got a Tamiya 1/35 Char B1 bis French tank and an Italeri 1/35 Staghound Mk.III armoured car for my birthday yesterday.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?