It is Silly Week again

Started by philp, January 02, 2010, 12:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

As usual, many of you have contributed but there are also some possible recruits
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

Quote from: philp on January 02, 2010, 12:18:12 PM
As usual, many of you have contributed but there are also some possible recruits
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/

Some nice work - I especially like the IDF X-3.

Have invites been sent to the 'potentials'?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Joe C-P

The Pennsy DC-3 is an interesting concept.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

philp

Quote from: JoeP on January 03, 2010, 04:05:04 PM

That one is done by our own BDB and the article is around here somewhere.

One of the entries today was Flower Garden Guardians which has armor models guarding the plants from insects.  The builds were done oob but it made me wonder what markings would we come up with for an anti-insect army.  And no, the obvious RAID insignia doesn't count.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Doc Yo

QuoteAnd no, the obvious RAID insignia doesn't count.
wrote Philip

..then needs must sally forth 'gainst the arthropodic hordes under the sign of...The BLACK FLAG*

* This gag may not work in the UK.

philp

Actually was a dio at a Nats one year that went on this gag.  Had actual roaches (ugh) done up in combat against Raid or Black Flag, can't remember.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Nick

A few railroad companies had aircraft for inspecting the farflung reaches of their operations, including the Chesapeake & Ohio RR. There were several early combined railroad and airline linkups in the 1930s to get business people from East to West Coast in just a few days.
One route took the train from New York to Columbus Ohio, flew in a Ford Trimotor to Waynoka Oklahoma, then took the train to New Mexico and then another plane as far as Los Angeles. Only took 48 hours! :o

http://www.oldbeacon.com/beacon/airlines/usa/air-rail.htm

B777LR

Joe C-P

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2010, 12:30:59 PM

A few railroad companies had aircraft for inspecting the farflung reaches of their operations, including the Chesapeake & Ohio RR. There were several early combined railroad and airline linkups in the 1930s to get business people from East to West Coast in just a few days.
One route took the train from New York to Columbus Ohio, flew in a Ford Trimotor to Waynoka Oklahoma, then took the train to New Mexico and then another plane as far as Los Angeles. Only took 48 hours! :o

http://www.oldbeacon.com/beacon/airlines/usa/air-rail.htm

Interesting! Still, better than a week via train, or months via wagon.
I was thinking along the lines of the wealthy railroad companies starting up their own airlines rather than allowing others to compete with their business, realizing that at least some people will eventually want to travel faster than a train, especially big city to big city.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

B777LR

Alvis has finished his Typhoon carrier!

B777LR

A modeller over there has printed a pair of UAVs. Yup, with a 3d printer! 

slackjack

Wow - that was some neat stuff. I guess there's 52 silly weeks here?

Eddie M.

Quote from: slackjack on January 11, 2010, 12:13:48 PM
Wow - that was some neat stuff. I guess there's 52 silly weeks here?

25 hours a day and 8 days a week.
Look behind you!

elmayerle

Now a Santa Fe DC-4 would've been an odd, but RL item.  RIght after WW II the Santa Fe railroad looked into a airborne cargo operation and had at least one DC-4 painted up in their markings.  I *think* this ran afoul of government regulation.  There was an article about it years ago in the AAHS Journal.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin