The teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dot GB

Started by Weaver, January 03, 2010, 04:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Simple idea: build a small model of something in a small scale. i.e. smaller than the "usual" scales.

Rough ideas:

Scale:

Ships: must be smaller than 1/800th (that's to exclude all the 1/720th etc. oddballs. What I'm trying to encourage is use of the commonly ignored 1/1250th and 1/1400th models).

Aircraft: Definately not bigger than 1/144th: whether 1/144th itself should be included or excluded is a point worthy of debate.

Vehicles: Difficult. 1/72nd and 1/76th are very common, but I don't know of many kits in scales much smaller (there are smaller railway things, but they tend to be pre-assembled). Open for debate.

Spacecraft: same as aircraft, I think.

Size:

I feel there should also be some limit on the size of the model itself, in order to exclude things like 4 foot long spaceships that claim to be 1/2573rd scale or something. Something like:

Finished model should be no longer than 254mm/10 inches. For aircraft, this relates to the fuselage length, but NOT the wingspan. The exact figure is up for debate and could perhaps vary with type, i.e. longer for ships, shorter for vehicles. Also, Moderators Discretion would be applicable for things that were in the spirit of the GB, but slightly exceeded the size limit.

Colour:

It doesn't have to feature yellow or polka dots: I just couldn't resist the title..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

upnorth

I like it!

Going that small, I might actually have time to participate in it and get something done for it!

I'd participate in GBs, but with the demands on my time, it's almost pointless.

Put me up as a supporter for this one. :thumbsup:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Hobbes

QuoteIt doesn't have to feature yellow or polka dots: I just couldn't resist the title

With that title I was expecting a racier variant of the Figure GB, not this  ;D

beowulf

i have enough trouble working in 1/72 with my pudgy fingers  ;D.................but i might be in  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2010, 04:16:33 AMAircraft: Definately not bigger than 1/144th: whether 1/144th itself should be included or excluded is a point worthy of debate.

I can see local shops being depleted of their models in the Academy Sky Giants series!  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on January 03, 2010, 05:41:38 AM
QuoteIt doesn't have to feature yellow or polka dots: I just couldn't resist the title

With that title I was expecting a racier variant of the Figure GB, not this  ;D

Gotcha.  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on January 03, 2010, 08:01:48 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2010, 04:16:33 AMAircraft: Definately not bigger than 1/144th: whether 1/144th itself should be included or excluded is a point worthy of debate.

I can see local shops being depleted of their models in the Academy Sky Giants series!  :wacko:

Well I just wanted an excuse to build the 1/288th An-74 I bought by mistake, thinking it was a 1/72nd one..... :banghead: ;D

Most of those Sky Giants look fine to me, and come well inside the proposed length limit.

The dilemma with 1/144th is this: on the one hand, 1/144th scale kits are not that uncommon on here, particularly of big subjects, so there's a case for ruling it out in order to get away from "business as usual". On the other hand, doing that would rule out a lot of fighter-sized aircraft that arn't made in any scale between 1/700th (ship accessories) and 1/144th because there's no reason to...... :huh:

- Indiana Jones

B777LR

Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2010, 04:16:33 AM
Scale:

Ships: must be smaller than 1/800th (that's to exclude all the 1/720th etc. oddballs. What I'm trying to encourage is use of the commonly ignored 1/1250th and 1/1400th models).

1/700 is tiny already. How about including 1/700, but with those length requirements you mentioned? Tamigawa do some nice 1/700 waterline destroyers that are really tiny.

Aircraft: Definately not bigger than 1/144th: whether 1/144th itself should be included or excluded is a point worthy of debate.

Hasegawa does 1/200 airliners, but they are a bit expensive. Smaller than 1/144 and it would be hard to find a decently priced model for many of us. You can also get tiny 1/350 planes from Trumpeter...

Vehicles: Difficult. 1/72nd and 1/76th are very common, but I don't know of many kits in scales much smaller (there are smaller railway things, but they tend to be pre-assembled). Open for debate.

Some of the asian manufacturers do some 1/144 models. You can get 1/350 and 1/700 things for ships, but these are often resin. Hardly any bits to assemble though.

Finished model should be no longer than 254mm/10 inches. For aircraft, this relates to the fuselage length, but NOT the wingspan. The exact figure is up for debate and could perhaps vary with type, i.e. longer for ships, shorter for vehicles. Also, Moderators Discretion would be applicable for things that were in the spirit of the GB, but slightly exceeded the size limit.

I like this rule :thumbsup:

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2010, 08:55:39 AMWell I just wanted an excuse to build the 1/288th An-74 I bought by mistake, thinking it was a 1/72nd one..... :banghead: ;D

Probably from the same stable as this one:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Steel Penguin

theres a large slew of millatry wargames stuff in 1:285 or 1:300
and tumbling dice do aircraft in 1:600 though most of them are 1 peice metal castings, though modding is possible.
for small scale sci fi space ships have a look at Ground Zero Games, the UN fleet is very modular.
though with my eyes and sausage finger im likely go no where near this.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

upnorth

Any more intrest in this one?

I took a peek in my stash and found a 1/144 Sukhoi Su-7 and a 1/144 MiG-21 that could go well in this.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

The Rat

I'll have a go, there's still a few Revell Tradewinds in the stash, 166th scale, a 144th F-4, a few others I can't recall at the moment.

Mossie

I've got several 1/144 aircraft & I've just been looking at them for a potential quick build.  Two Kfirs, Hunter, E-2, A-6, F/A-18, F-15, A-10, F-14, F-16XL, Canadair Challenger & an An-124, not to mention the Anigrand T-4MS that stalled & it's 'bonus' kits, the Sukhoi T-50, MiG-37 Ferret & Ka-58.

I think you should include 1/144 for aircraft.  It may be becoming more popular, but we don't see that many on this forum, especially fighter size.  Also, if you only include more obscure scales, your at risk of not getting many paticipants.  Maybe include the first scale that is considered as 'tiny' for the genre, 1/144 for aircraft, 1/72 for vehicles.  I don't think we've had many GB's that includes these except as token paticipants?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Here's a little bit of inspiration if 1/144 is to be included, a Marineflieger F/A-18, the only 1/144 whiff I've completed.

Oh, & I think you should add into the rules that any photos of completed builds should be accompanied with the ubiquitous small coin to be eligible  ;D (which I neglected for my Hornet)!

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Well the consensus seems to be upto AND INCLUDING 1/144th for aircraft and 1/72nd or smaller for ground vehicles. What about ships? We've had one view proffered that 1/700th is tiny, but to me it seems to be the "small normal" alternative to 1/350th, like 1/72nd is to 1/48th for aircraft. I was really thinking in terms of circa 1/1000th for ships: there are plenty in 1/1250th, 1/1400th etc..., but the lack of them being built was what made me think up this GB in the first place.

- Indiana Jones