Resin safety

Started by Weaver, January 03, 2010, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Quote from: nev on January 07, 2010, 09:18:09 AM
I do know of modellers who spray paint wearing just a dust mask.  Like Mossie says, almost pointless.  For that you want a respirator like Steve posted (although the facemask is overkill ;) ).  Just make sure you've got the correct filter fitted in the cannister for filtering organic solvents.

I didn't have any dusk masks when I started sanding the resin at that time ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Mossie

And you look like Darth Vader as an added bonus! ;D  I ought to get a full SAS style respirator just to wind the missus up, they really freak her out for some reason!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

mkhulu

gents , a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due ...

never worked with resin before , and was looking for information regarding sanding resin...

baie dankie - much appreciated  :bow:  :thumbsup:

Another reason why awesomeness abounds on whatifmodelers  :thumbsup:

ps - apologies for the thread revival .

Going nowhere slowly

darkwolf29a

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/3mn95pare.html

You can get the 3M ones, relatively cheaply. I'll have to get a box myself soon, I think.

McColm

Back in the 1980s I worked in a spray boothe for a furniture restoration company who rented out furniture to  TV & film companies.
The 'old boys' always used to drink a pint of milk before sanding or spraying. Something to do with lining the lungs.
The heavy duty mask or resperator is ideal, but can restrict vision. Those of you that like rubber or that sort of thing then it is a must.
I must admit that my timings for changing the canister increased as it was similar to the MK 10 as used by the R.A.F.