Main Menu

Trackrover - FINISHED!

Started by Weaver, January 04, 2010, 10:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

:bow: Excellent work, I'm really enjoying your progress reports.

Weaver

Well painting has taken much longer than anticipated, due to lack of time, fiddly cant-do-this-'til-you've-done-that issues and the usual MDS (Motivational Deficit Syndrome). However, it is now almost done:

I did put a "BAS" marking on the side with vinyl lettering, but on reflection I didn't like it (real BAS vehicles don't have any), so I pulled it off again. Good job I used the vinyl instead of a decal eh?  :blink:

Stuff yet to do:

Radio aerial
Flag
Headlights and other bits of detail painting
Diorama base
Snow it up a bit
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

Looks very convincing Weaver and your orange paintwork is excellent!

Great to see you so close to the finish line with this beauty!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

She looks the part Harold, great work! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Looks great just sitting there, but will look even better when placed in a dio! :bow:

Quote from: Weaver on February 28, 2010, 12:47:32 PM<...> the usual MDS (Motivational Deficit Syndrome) <...>

D'ya have a cure for that? I could need one.  :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 01, 2010, 04:37:16 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 28, 2010, 12:47:32 PM<...> the usual MDS (Motivational Deficit Syndrome) <...>

Yeah, me too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

You know Weaver, I have one real problem with this model that you have created................it looks too damned plausible! :rolleyes:
You are going to have real problems convincing people that it is in fact a WhIf.
It is just fantastic, I just wish I could do that kind of thing.

I salute you,

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

lancer

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 01, 2010, 09:27:59 AM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on March 01, 2010, 04:37:16 AM

Yeah, me too ---

Same here!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Weaver

Cheers folks - much appreciated.

Regarding the plural in the thread title, I'm not going to do a Forward Control BAS one now, since the only point would have been to go on a diorama with this one and that's not going to happen now. However I do intend to do an FC sometime in a desert scheme. It will have a flat platform extending over the track guards with a Burney Gun on a pedestal and ammo stored under the middle of the platform at the back.

For those who don't know, Sir Dennis Burney pioneered recoilless guns in the UK during and after WWII and also invented the HESH round. His early recoilless designs had multiple venturis surrounding the breech, and it's this design that I intend to model using the ubiquitous (to me  ;D) 1/87th traffic cones to form them. In real life the multiple venturi guns didn't go into production, but were refined into the BAT, MOBAT and WOMBAT 120mm single-venturi weapons, which did.

Edit - just reading some more: Sir Dennis was also the designer of the R100 airship and inventor of the paravane!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

One of the smaller Burney guns, around 4" ,was designed to be shoulder fired I've a picture of a volunteer posing with it somewhere.

I've a plan to mount a couple of 7.2" (I think) Burneys on a converted Churchill chasis as a Bunker Breaker assault tank.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 02, 2010, 02:38:07 AM
One of the smaller Burney guns, around 4" ,was designed to be shoulder fired I've a picture of a volunteer posing with it somewhere.

I've a plan to mount a couple of 7.2" (I think) Burneys on a converted Churchill chasis as a Bunker Breaker assault tank.

The shoulder-fired one was the 3.45" RCL. I'd be interested to see a pic of it if you've got one.

7.2" is correct: that'd hurt!  :blink:

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

There was also an 8" gun

Here's the shoulder fired weapon. It's from an old Ian Hogg book

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Cheers, that's interesting!  :thumbsup:

BTW, I got it slightly wrong before: the BAT etc.. wern't "refined" from the Burney Guns, rather then replaced them because the German-style blow-out base plug with the first part of the venturi in the base of the case was regarded as superior. They still used Burney's HESH round though.

- Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Weaver on March 01, 2010, 12:49:57 PM

<snip>

Edit - just reading some more: Sir Dennis was also the designer of the R100 airship and inventor of the paravane!

If memory serves, Barnes Wallis led the R-100 design team and the famous author Neville Shute was one of the engineers.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Quote from: Brian da Basher on March 02, 2010, 02:12:27 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 01, 2010, 12:49:57 PM

<snip>

If memory serves, Barnes Wallis led the R-100 design team and the famous author Neville Shute was one of the engineers.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Indeed - my bad. Burney was managing director of the company, Barnes Wallis led the design team and Neville Shute was the senior stress engineer.

- Indiana Jones