Main Menu

Trackrover - FINISHED!

Started by Weaver, January 04, 2010, 10:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Wow....now that is nice ! Great idea and very well executed....

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Awesome.  Looking forward to the diorama :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

TsrJoe

a really cool model, would look neat with 'British Antarctic Survey' on the rear panel or the possibly lil penguin badge from HMS. Protector on it ?

whats the diorama idea? crashed saucer a'la 'The Thing'? (or even a German one!) or ???

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Weaver

Well it was just going to be a bit of snowy ground, but expectations appear to have been raised..... :rolleyes:

Got a few ideas: the trouble is that I don't have any "arctic" figures, much less civilian ones.

I tried "BAS" on the sides and didn't like it: the real BAS vehicles only carry manufacturer's badges. I suppose it might work if it was much smaller than the hard-top side. That would have to be a home-print decal though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: TsrJoe on March 04, 2010, 05:42:43 AM
<...> whats the diorama idea? crashed saucer a'la 'The Thing'? (or even a German one!) or ??? <...>

Yeah! Now that'd be something. Or how about an Italeri MiG-37 Ferret? Think "Firefox". On the other hand, a monster, UFO or X-plane might draw attention away from the Trackrover. :unsure:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

philp

For Arctic figures the Monogram Trimotor came with a couple.  Someone might have a few spares.

Also, Copplestone has a few sets that may be useful.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=HA
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: philp on March 04, 2010, 09:02:17 AM
For Arctic figures the Monogram Trimotor came with a couple.  Someone might have a few spares.

Got one myself - they're way overscale  :banghead:.

Also, Copplestone has a few sets that may be useful.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=HA

As far as I know they're 28mm which is also overscale.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 04, 2010, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: philp on March 04, 2010, 09:02:17 AM
For Arctic figures the Monogram Trimotor came with a couple.  Someone might have a few spares.

Got one myself - they're way overscale  :banghead:.

That's very interesting, my PAK-20 book says the Monogram Trimotor is 1/77 scale, I'd have thought the Land Rover was very close, it being 1/76
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Hmm - curious. I've measured one of the Trimotor figures and it scales out at 6'3" at 1/77th and I've checked the Landie kit and it seems to be about right, yet when I put the one next to the other, the figure looks too big.... :unsure:

Maybe I've been looking at big "proper" snocats for too long and my sense of the size of the Trackrover is skewed....

- Indiana Jones

philp

Thought the Copplestone ones might be too big, especially against 76th scale.

How about these guys?

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=4573

Or these guys from Hecker and Goros?

http://www.hecker-goros.de/html/figuren_1_72-1.html
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

Weave, I remember a build of a Glencoe Airgeep by JC Carbonel where he simply modified a pair of German soldiers with a putty ruff to suggest a Parka.  If you can get hold of some 1/72 figures in winter gear that might be an option?

JC Carbonel's Piasecki Airgeep build translated with Babelfish
Original thread
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Okay, I've decided that it's my brain that's at fault, so I'll use the Trimotor figures. Speaking of my brain being at fault, I've also decided on a diorama and bought the materials...... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 04, 2010, 07:18:58 PM
Maybe I've been looking at big "proper" snocats for too long and my sense of the size of the Trackrover is skewed....

Looking at the photo of the Snocat stuck in the crevasse, the fellows there look quite tall compared to the vehicle.

As an aside, I seem to remember actually seeing that vehicle at Beaulieu Museum, many years ago.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 05, 2010, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: Weaver on March 04, 2010, 07:18:58 PM

Looking at the photo of the Snocat stuck in the crevasse, the fellows there look quite tall compared to the vehicle.

As an aside, I seem to remember actually seeing that vehicle at Beaulieu Museum, many years ago.

I think it's an optical illusion: the guy in the foreground in the crevasse picture is standing on a higher level than the snocat's tracks. Look at the following picture for relative heights of people stood alongside:

The picture in the link below shows a similar group next to a modern Tucker, and it looks significantly taller:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91342426@N00/209946322

(It also has BAS signwriting, thereby screwing me up again..... :rolleyes:)

- Indiana Jones

Eddie M.

Outstanding work! This is really good looking. ;D
Look behind you!