any thoughts on a Canberra Tanker??

Started by chrisonord, January 09, 2010, 12:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have been having a think about making a tanker for my Honduras air force, and have narrowed it down to either a Nord Atlas with auxiliary jets, or(preferably) a Canberra. I can't see it being much of a problem converting the canberra, adding wing tanks and a drogue from the tail of the plane.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

GTX

Nice idea - you could put the fuel hose/drum system in the bomb bay and load up the wings with jugs.

Dare you to do it in flying pose with a customer...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Rat

(slaps head) Why didn't I think of that?! Excellent idea!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

I was going to suggest something along the lines that Greg has already said for the Canberra, use the Victor fuselage drogue and then some Buccaneer wing tanks plus the wingtip tanks (the big ones)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Or, fit refuelling pods under the wingtips and a big, fat, space/drag efficient fuel tank (possibly bulged) in the whole of the bomb bay. Maybe a periscope under the nose or a camera fairing under the tail so that the crew can see the receivers.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

QuoteMaybe a periscope under the nose or a camera fairing under the tail so that the crew can see the receivers.

You could do that or be really cruel and stick someone in the tail lying down ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

chrisonord

Thanks for the very excellent ideas lads :thumbsup:
I think I might start gathering the bits for this one tomorrow, now...to decide on which Canberra to use :unsure:
Cheers,
Chris.

Mossie

I guess your going for 1/72?  The Airfix B(I).8 is probably the best option, you wouldn't need the extra wing area of the PR.9.  I like the idea of an earlier style Canberra with the standard canopy, but unless you can find an older kit, the B(I).8 should do.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Daryl J.

chrisonord

I have 4 Canberras at my disposal, one a B-57G I want to keep it as a night interdictor bird, a B-57B, a B1 MK 8/12?? its the old Novo one, and the PR9. I think the Novo one could be the best one for the job, all are in 1/72nd scale.Has anyone built the Novo Canberra?
Cheers
Chris.

Mossie

There's a review on Modelling Madness:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/viet/wombycan.htm

You know, the B-57B might work well simply for a different look as it didn't export widely compared to the EE original.  It'd wind the purists up too! :thumbsup:

A few have mentioned having a fuselage mounted HUD along with wing hoses, but I don't think there would be enough clearance?  It's a possibility as a spare, but you'd have two points on the wings anyway.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

If you're looking for 1/72 kits of the early Canberras, there's always High Planes.  They do a number of versions and they turn out very nice.  I have quite a few of their kits and although the sprue gates are quite heavy, they clean up into a very accurate kit.

It's best to order from them direct, it works out much cheaper, even having it sent to the UK.

http://www.hiplanes.com/new/1_72_kits/1_72_kit_list.htm
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 09, 2010, 06:33:41 PM
If you're looking for 1/72 kits of the early Canberras, there's always High Planes.  They do a number of versions and they turn out very nice.  I have quite a few of their kits and although the sprue gates are quite heavy, they clean up into a very accurate kit.

It's best to order from them direct, it works out much cheaper, even having it sent to the UK.

http://www.hiplanes.com/new/1_72_kits/1_72_kit_list.htm

However, Hannants have the RAAF Mk.21 on offer at the moment for £19.55, which is cheaper than the High Planes price of $45 Aus, which works out to about £25.00:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HPM7286
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DarrenP

Hasn't some Canberra variants got wing hard points couldn't you make some of them wet and fit a Buddy-buddy pack ah-la Skyhawk/Buccaneer and an LRDT on the opposite wing. Possibly adapt the bomb bay door making it look buldged like the Buccaneer with extra fule tanks and in the description say the bombay is filled with an X capicity auxillary fuel tank?