any thoughts on a Canberra Tanker??

Started by chrisonord, January 09, 2010, 12:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

the novo one is ok, depending on how old your example is...the older the better. Expect loads of flash if its fairley recent.
As kits go its clunkly and the plastic is sometimes rock hard. But its a perfect kit to whiff the life out of.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mossie

Quote from: DarrenP on January 10, 2010, 01:50:22 AM
Hasn't some Canberra variants got wing hard points couldn't you make some of them wet and fit a Buddy-buddy pack ah-la Skyhawk/Buccaneer and an LRDT on the opposite wing. Possibly adapt the bomb bay door making it look buldged like the Buccaneer with extra fule tanks and in the description say the bombay is filled with an X capicity auxillary fuel tank?

The B.5 was a pathfinder variant, there was a prototype but it never went into production.  This had a wet wing with tanks forward of the spar.  The B(I) variants from this point on had wet wings, along with hard points.  The B-57 had hardpoints, not sure about the wet wing, but it was definately doable.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Barry Krell

Quote from: Martin H on January 10, 2010, 03:07:10 AM
the novo one is ok, depending on how old your example is...the older the better. Expect loads of flash if its fairley recent.
As kits go its clunkly and the plastic is sometimes rock hard. But its a perfect kit to whiff the life out of.

You can also pick up the Frog originals for a pittance these days.  It's old and could do with a bit of detail but it's almost bang on in terms of size, shape and outline.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

kitnut617

Slightly off-topic, the new Airfix 1/72 Canberra(I).8 has four equally spaced small rectangular cut-outs in each bottom wing half, plus two little drill holes near the inner most cut-out.  For this particular kit it says to cut the inner cut-out out and the third one in from the aircraft center for the pylon connections, but was there any Canberra which had four pylons under each wing ? And what would the two little drill holes be for ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

B-57's did, but not the EE versions IIRC.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Black Knight

what about the drogue unit from a 1/144 vc10 fttedunder the tail?
As The Dark Master rests, the Black Knight protects the New Commonwealth.

Aerotech, Keeping you ahead by any means.

upnorth

I'd think the BI.8 would be ideal as you have the gun pack at the rear of the weapons bay that you could simply rework a bit to look like a drogue reel housing.

It has a good shape already, you'd just need to putty in the gun muzzles and rework the back end of it for the drogue opening.

If not that, then put the drogue outlet a bit further back along the fusleage aft of the weapons bay. It could be something as small as what was seen on the KA-6D Intruder with the reel assembly completely internal. This way, you could keep the streamlined shape of the Canberra (I think the fuselage is big enough that you wouldn't need bulged weapons bay doors).

I do like the idea of Buccaneer style slipper tanks that was mentioned in a previous post. I think they'd look quite fetching on a Canberra and would work very well to set your tanker apart from garden variety ones.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

PR19_Kit

I think Flight Refuelling did this for real in early days. I recall a piccie of a Can, B2 or B6 maybe, with a hose pod sticking out of the rear of the bomb bay, refuelling one of the probe fitted Meteor F8s. The ground clearance on rotation must have been VERY crucial, as the Can is so low anyway.

As for the wing hardpoints, the B(I)8s had twin points, and all Cans built after that had them too, thus the PR9's capability of carrying Boz pods. But the Akrotiri strike wing locally modified their B6s to have four wing hard points, and I used that mod as an example for my MR23. You can just see the fairings for the mounts on the top of the wing in the piccie below, crossing the red/blue boundary of the roundel.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

There's a thought: what's in the back of a Canberra's fuselage, behind the bomb bay? if it's full of ECM gear, then maybe a tanker could ditch that in favour of a wholly internal HDU...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DarrenP

For the likes of a Canberra the ability to convert it to other roles would make me go down the route of podded buddy tank with Auxillary and LRDT's

nev

Doesn't the Revell 1/72 Tornado come with a buddy back?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Barry Krell

Yes.  Airwaves also did a 72nd one in white metal and then resin to go with the Airfix Buccaneer.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

chrisonord

I was thinking of keeping the conversion pretty simple, but as a permanent fixture of sorts. I was think about putting the drogue and hose equipment exiting the rear of the fuselage behind the bomb bay, and putting some large fuel tanks under the wings to compliment the fuel cell in the bomb bay, If I can find them that will fit right I will use some slipper tanks, but I think some large drop tanks will be the order.
Cheers,
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DarrenP

the hindenberg tanks for the tornado might be an option?

Been thinking of a version of the canberra  making an operational version of the T22 with blue parrot radar possibly based round the B(I)8.

kitnut617

How about a pair of the large Harrier GR.5/7/9 tanks --- only in 1/48 scale.  I've got a pair of those I'm not using.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike