Privateer MR.2 FINISHED!!!

Started by TallEng, January 09, 2010, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Colour schemes! This caused some serious thinking, as at first I was thinking Dark Sea Grey as per the Shackleton MR3, but then after I'd done a little reading, I found that Dark Sea Grey overall didn't come into use until 1955 and later. As the Privateer was only a stop gap until enough Shackleton's became available, late '55 would have seen them being retired and therefore unlikely to have been painted in Dark Sea Grey :banghead: Bother! `cos that left me with Original Dark Sea Blue as per USN service (unlikely as the Aircraft had been considerably modified before delivery to produce the MR2 variant and would have been freshly painted) Or they would have been finished in the mostly white with small area of Medium Sea Grey Coastal Command scheme. Which is far too much white paint for my liking ;D
So at the moment the thoughts are that the RAF decided to try out a few experimental schemes before they settled on Dark Sea Grey all over.
And that this particular Privateer was used to test one of the schemes out
Here showing Dark Sea Grey on nose and experimental colour scheme on the rear fuselage

Fuselage now in all over RAF Blue-Grey and experimental Roundel position

Which will require a window to be filled in on the right hand side :banghead:

Oh and SWMBO :o has decreed that the Kitchen table MUST be cleared! :angry:
so I'll just have to wait until she go's out to work, before I can carry on :wacko:
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

John Howling Mouse

Very cool...very believable.  Can't wait til your Missus goes to work so YOU can get back to work...love these updates.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

TallEng

Time for another update!
Now partially painted and fitted with all the lumps and bumps and U/C.
I also replaced the shackleton radome I had originally fitted with something more refined (I think)

Fitted with original Kit Props

Now fitted with new improved AiroFlo(TM) Prop and spinner :lol:

And yes despite careful checking I do have a clearance problem with the Radome  :banghead:

Now all I've got to do is decide what aerial it needs to fitted with and finish up!
Comments and criticisms welcome.
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Mossie

This just looks right, if you'd have told me this was a real world mod for the Privateer, I'd have believed you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Now if I'd had the wit and imagination to come up with this beauty I'd have gone with either overall Glossy Sea Blue (like the MAP Neptunes used by the RAF) or overall Dark Sea Grey (like the later Shacks) - mostly because the thought of painting all that white would scare me!
I seem to recall an ancient Neptune 'Aircraft In Detail' edition of the Alan Hall-era SAM that included a Neptune in an experimental scheme - maybe it was Dark Sea Grey.  Don't have the article to hand but will try and dig the drawing out.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TallEng

That profile is also in Warpaint 51 Lockheed Neptune, which I have by my side as I type.
The colour scheme I'am painting it in, is overall RAF Blue-Grey which was used in an experimental Trial before the "powers that be" decided on Dark Sea Grey as the standard C/S for Maritime Aircraft as seen on later Shackletons

PR19_Kit

I'm not sure about the RAF Blue-Grey scheme being 'experimental' if you're talking about the colour the Neptunes were painted.

All of them were that dark blue colour for their entire RAF lives, and were sold (transferred maybe) to Holland afterward, still in the same blue.

Or have I got all it round my neck and you're talking about another colour entirely?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

As I understand it the Neptunes where delivered in Sea Blue Gloss, and with the exception of one, remained in that C/S until they retired from RAF service.
The exception was painted in an experimental finish of  Gloss Dark Sea Grey, although according to the profile in Warpaint 51 the fin remained in Gloss Sea Blue.
So on my Privateer I've expanded on the experimental schemes theme, if you see what I mean -_-

PR19_Kit

OK, I'm with you now.  ;D

The Neptunes certainly were all over blue, I was living at Topcliffe when the first Squadron was formed, and it was if someone had painted the whole place dark blue! When I was used to white topped and silver bellied Hastings, the Neptunes looked as if they'd come from another planet.

Presumably that choice was because it was a standard US Navy scheme, the MR Lancasters in Coastal Command around then were white on top and grey undersides as I recall. There was one that came into Topcliffe with red wing and tail tips to assist the 47 Sqdn. hastings flying the 'Greenlander' missions around then.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

noxioux

That's really looking good :thumbsup:

Joe C-P

Fine work, a fine and truly plausible adaptation.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

TallEng

Progress report...
Progress; that's about going forward, getting on etc. Well...
I had a small(ish) problem with the radome to ground clearance. Caused by checking with the A/C wheels fitted,
and then filing the flats on them afterwards, which obviously reduces height! :banghead:
So the radome's height needed reducing- which I proceeded to do; unfortunately this caused the (involuntary) removal of the nose wheel,
and DF loop!!!! :banghead:
However the main concern was the paint finish on the Tailplane and fin, which is awful, they seem to have been painted with dust and fluff paint!!
So I am now resigned to rubbing down the back end in preparation for a repaint >:(

Pah!

Aussie747

Fine piece of work and a great idea (wish I thought of it). I don't know how many models I have had to rub back due to crap in the paint, I accept it these days :D

:thumbsup:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on February 10, 2010, 02:00:17 PM
However the main concern was the paint finish on the Tailplane and fin, which is awful, they seem to have been painted with dust and fluff paint!!

There are some armour, diorama and railway modellers who'd PAY for tins of paint like that!  -_-

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Minor update.
O.K. so I've got over the debacle of the "fluffy" paint, :banghead: Girded my lions, Rolled up my sleeves etc...
and sanded back the affected areas and started the total repaint.
Its not 100% but..... it'll do :smiley:

and the proof...

A picture of Flt. Lt. Handlebar-Moustache K.F.S and crew, carrying out their (in)famous Airshow manouver
"The Beerglass Wingover".... :lol:

Rumours that Flt. Lt. Handlebar-Moustache performed this manouver; with a full pint of beer balanced on top of the instrument panel with out spilling a drop,
are as yet unproven.... :drink: