TC`s build thread.

Started by tc2324, January 10, 2010, 07:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Well, I got as far as I can go with my 1/72 `What if` Lanc today as I need to get to the office tomorrow and await the supplies I ordered to continue with it.:( 

So, trying something that my missus thinks is a no go area for men in general, I thought I`d `multi task` and make a start on the 1/72 B-52H I got the other day.

It`s big....:eek: :D Lancaster kit for comparrison...:wacko:

Now, to make this post a bit interactive, I have three back stories for my B-52 build and the scheme it will eventually end up in....,

1. Captured Russian

2. RAF, mid 60`s

3. RAF, mid 90`s

Any thoughts welcome....:D
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Sauragnmon

I'm curious to which schemes they would be, TC - the paint schemes would help me decide my choice.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

tc2324

Well, I`m looking silver/aluminium for a russian or RAF mid 60`s scheme and a `Grey` for the RAF mid 90`s one.

Tiger, Tiger!

Sauragnmon

Ooo, the Soviet Aluminum B-52 sounds like it could be real nice - put a real meaning to the Chrome Dome.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

tc2324

Looks like I`m going for the captured Ivan scheme. Been informed that an RAF B-52 has already done the rounds recently, (any pics of this??), so not wishing to duplicate that, a Russian it is. ;D

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Just thought I`d add a few pics of the Lanc and 52 that are on my bench, well, the wifes table. ;D Both kits have been ok, got a couple of gaps that will need to be filled but overall not the stuff of nightmares.

First up, the 52......,

And now the Lanc...,

And now for the comparison shot.... :rolleyes:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Another update on my `52` captured Ivan. The wings, engines and tail planes are not glued, still got a lot of work to go on them yet, but placed it all together to give you an idea of what it will look like. Note the Lanc in the background to give you an idea of the size.

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

I am salivating over this B-52, can't wait to see more  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tc2324

Finished my build, so on with the show and the `What if` backstory goes like this....,

`In mid November 1986 a US spy satellite passed over a remote airfield in Russia and captured the following image....

CIA intelligance were shocked by the image and the next day ordered that another satellite be diverted to cover the same area. However, after an intensive search for the next 6 months no sign of the aircraft was found and the search was caled off, but not forgotten.

In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the US goverment approached Russia`s secret service and asked about the image. As no B-52 had ever defected to Russia, it was a mystry the US wanted to solve. To their amazement a delegation was invited to a remote airfield in Siberia to view the photo subject. They found this and the following pictures have now been declassified and the story of the Soviets B-52 can now be revealed.

In 1968 the Soviet Union had approached North Vietnam with a view to obtaining wreckage from B-52`s that had been shot down during that conflict so that they could gather any new intelligance regarding the West`s main heavy bomber. In return the Soviets granted civilian and military aid to the North Vietnamese once the conflict had ended. For the next 6 years or so any piece of B-52 found in Vietnam, big or small, was secretly sent to the Soviet union. By 1980 the soviets had enough parts to complete or reverse engineer 6 aircraft over, however due to cost and time restraints only one aircraft was ordered to be `reassembled` to flying condition, If any parts were missing, they were simply replicated based on pictures and scematics the Soviets had `obtained`.

On August 26th 1986, Soviet built B-52 `White 86`, (given the number 86 due to the year), took to the air for it`s first succesful test flight. For the next year this aircraft was used for disimilar air combat manuvores against the fighter regiments in the Soviet Union. This gave a chance for the Soviet fighter pilots to practice interception tactics both in the high level and low level spectrum which would have been used by the USAF in war time.

However, on the 8th May 1987 a major crack had appeared in the main wing spar and all flying was suspended. It seems that putting so many B-52 parts back together again had taken it`s toll.  Considered too costly to repair `White 86` was taken apart, removed by road to Siberia, but back together again and left in open storage under camoflage netting.

At the time of the US delegations visit, `White 86` was found out in the open and obviously rusting away.

This picture shows the front aircraft section with `86` marked on the fusalage. The cockpit was found to be very basic with no ejection seats and basic flight controls. The `pods` under the front section were empty and looked like thay had simply been added on to make it look like a `H` model.

The engines were of Soviet type and looked under powered for this size of aircraft.

The rest of the airframe, other than suffering from the effects of being stored outside and devoid of any other markings other than  a white `86` and red stars, was a perfect copy to the US versions including a Soviet gattling gun for rear defense.

With the US delegation impressed by this copy of one of it`s most iconic aircraft, the US has now given it`s support for the aircraft to be moved to the Soviet Flight Museum near Moscow.`

Now of course, for those of you who just like pictures and none of the fancy stuff above, heres some more pics in colour.......

Tiger, Tiger!

Cobra

Great Job,TC :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: have you ever Read Dale Brown????? this sounds like something from one of His Novels!!!!!!! Great Work All Around!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: Dan

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Sauragnmon

Damn, that looks real wicked - the backstory is well done too.  Seriously nice job on the total there, TC.

brisbane syndrome

That looks really well done.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tc2324

Quote from: Cobra on January 24, 2010, 12:55:20 PM
Great Job,TC :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: have you ever Read Dale Brown????? this sounds like something from one of His Novels!!!!!!! Great Work All Around!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Cheers for the compliments guys.

Dan, got a couple of Mr Brown`s books but have never got round to reading them. (Think their in the loft at the mo..?) May dig them out and have a read when I run out of ideas. Got at least another 3 projects swimming around in my head at the moment though. ;D

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Just a quick update for my Lufty Lanc. Here`s an overall pic of the main build and note that I`ve left a bit of glass missing just aft of the astro dome.......

.....what`s because I`m going to fit these upward/forward firing canons.....

These seem to be the biggest hurdle at the mo? Cut out a bit of trusty old cardboard to act as a base but I`m open to other suggestions. After the `big` B-52 build this Lanc is proving a bit dicey and the U/C is the most complex I`ve had to deal with and I can only thank god that tweezers were invented...!

Watch this space.......

Tiger, Tiger!