Wide Body Avro Atlantic

Started by kitnut617, January 11, 2010, 10:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

you sure your only doing this in plastic and not 1.1 scale
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

kitnut617

Quote from: lenny100 on June 02, 2011, 01:07:46 PM
you sure your only doing this in plastic and not 1.1 scale

;D

I like to figure out the ins & outs of the things and anyway, this one might just go to a show, so you just know there's going to be a JMN around somewhere who figures he knows everything about it ---  :wacko:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Can this be nominated for a whiffie as it is?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Here's an interesting comparison, I've modified the port wing to Vulcan B.1 standard but with a slight variation.

I measured and scaled the Atlantic 3-View and found that the span of one wing is almost the same as a Vulcan B.2 wing, but the B.1's wing tip is where the outer end of the resin bit in the photo shows.  What I've done is to extend the leading edge of the resin bit from the point of the little kink in the B.1 conversion, out until it intercepts the B.2 wing tip.  It ends up with a wing tip that looks like the Atlantic's.

Once I've closed up the gap between the inner wing and fuselage (about 3-4mm), I'll re-measure the wing to establish the correct location of the wing tip.

Brian da Basher

I always feel like a kid playing with tinkertoys when I see serious modifications like this, Robert! My hat's off to you for such a sophisticated approach which I'm sure will really pay off for you in the end!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

Pablo1965

kitnut617

Thanks guys ----

we really need an "embarrased" smiley     :lol:

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 03, 2011, 02:40:40 PM
Thanks guys ----

we really need an "embarrased" smiley     :lol:

Here you go:

Though you have no need to use it - the talent shown in this build is outstanding!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Not done very much to the Atlantic this last week, I've been extremely busy with work.

I did get the next development done though, this will go under the front part of the tail assembly.  I've gone with 15 'fingers' this time just to see how it turns out and I'll add a couple of rows of formers too. Here's the development but it's not cut out yet.

In between waiting for critical answers for my day job, I did make a start on the fin.  The dimensions on the 3-View would have the top of the tail from the ground at 34'-9" when on it's wheels, this would mean that the standard Vulcan fin has to be a bit bigger.  I want to use the dorsal fillet that comes on the Vulcan, even though the Atlantic didn't have one, so I cut it off the fin like this,

then glued a bit of styrene to the cut edges to bring the part I cut off back to where it should be because of the cut width.  But when I glued the cut part back on (about 7mm downwards by sliding the fillet along the piece of styrene) so it would match the tail profile I've drawn, it just didn't look right, the new fin size looks too small to me, especially for an airliner as big as a 707.  So I moved it down some more (15mm), glued it back on and added some extensions to the fin sides.  I cut the bottoms of the extensions to roughly match the very end of the fuselage.

This made it look much better so I've carefully sanded the edges that join to the fuselage to fit better, making sure the top and bottom lines of the rudder stayed parallel with the fuselage top.

Here is a couple of pics of how it will look once the whole end has been tidied up.

PR19_Kit

Robert, that's all looking SERIOUSLY impressive! I can hardly wait to see the finished article.  :bow: :bow: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

chrisonord

This is one amazing build Robert, I have only dreamed of building something like this from scratch :bow:
Your pictures are very inspiring too and I will be watching the progress on this very carefully.
Cheers,
chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

IanH

There's solutions to future problems in this build - perfect for all... :thumbsup: :bow:

Brian da Basher

I'd always suspected we had at least one airframe engineer secretly among us.

This is some amazing work and the end result is bound to be stunning!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Thanks everyone for your very kind words, you've made my day --

Here's a little teaser on my backstory,  I'm going along the lines that the Cuban Crisis happened a few years earlier, and that Khrushchev (still smarting from having to back down) upped the retoric and escalated every confrontation the East/West had afterwards.  This prompted all the Western governments to increase their armed forces and the UK wasn't any different.  They gave Avro (UK) an increased Vulcan order, plus an order for the new tanker/transport support aircraft, to be called the Atlantic.  This created a major problem as Avro didn't have any more room to build them, nor was the British aero industry able to help because everyone was totally swamped with their own work.

However, the same couldn't be said in Canada ---- A.V.Roe Canada had just gone through the upheaval of having a very important contribution to the West' cause cancelled (The CF-105) through party political gamesmanship, so Hawker Siddeley immediately started contractual talks with A.V.Roe to build the Atlantic for them, and they came to agreement to build 30 Atlantic C.1's and 20 K.2's for the RAF.

More later as I expand on this ----  :lol: